Thread: The Official V12 Bell Housing Thread

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual

The Official V12 Bell Housing Thread

Hi all,

Below are pictures of my modified M70 V12 Bell Housing, which bolts directly to a Getrag 265 5 speed manual. It represents, not the easiest, but the cheapest way to put a manual transmission in your V12 BMW. I've been thinking more and more about finding a way to sell these bell housings, and have decided to create this thread to gauge the amount of interest. Before anyone asks the price, I just want to know yes or no, as I haven't even approached a machinist and won't bother if there is no one interested. Would you want one or not?

Below are pictures of my bell housing as well as my clutch setup, and finally pictures of the transmission mounted to the M70. Enjoy!

Spence

"Big Red" 9/88 Build 535i/5: E.A.T. Chip, 24lb Bosch Design III, 3.46 LSD, 4x Clear corners, DINAN-style 750i muffler, Racing King Subframe Inserts, Koni/Vogtland suspension, E34 M5 swaybars, Brembo/Porterfield brakes, Turbodiesel grills, 16" Style 8 rims, Euro front plate, M5 rear filler plate.
    Save
    Save

My Cars
    1990 BMW 735iAL & 750iL
    Friendly side note- check your Trek Antelope cranks for these numbers:
    CT90
    M290
    MC12

Its stamped on the inside of the crank arm (which are denoted by being tiny) and if they DO have those numbers. Take it to your local bike shop and you get a free bottom bracket, crankset, chain, and front derailleur and installation on it. FREE due to shimano safety recall.

Also- that looks WICKED!!!!

-dLs-

My Cars
    1989 BMW 750i M70B50
    I'm definitely interested in whole setup with flywheel and clutch,
    If price is good.
    Bmw e32 750i 89'

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    With this tranny setup - will the shifter be centered in the factory opening in the floor pan, at the correct height + with factory shifter components?
    How does the tranny crossmember line up with the factory nutserts in the frame?

Are the answers given based on the e31 or e32 chassis (because there will be interest from both camps)?

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by dLs007 View Post
    Friendly side note- check your Trek Antelope cranks for these numbers:
    CT90
    M290
    MC12

Its stamped on the inside of the crank arm (which are denoted by being tiny) and if they DO have those numbers. Take it to your local bike shop and you get a free bottom bracket, crankset, chain, and front derailleur and installation on it. FREE due to shimano safety recall.

Also- that looks WICKED!!!!

-dLs-
    Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by WaaD View Post
    I'm definitely interested in whole setup with flywheel and clutch,
    If price is good.
    Good to know. No price yet, but glad to know someone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteghost1 View Post
    With this tranny setup - will the shifter be centered in the factory opening in the floor pan, at the correct height + with factory shifter components?
    How does the tranny crossmember line up with the factory nutserts in the frame?

Are the answers given based on the e31 or e32 chassis (because there will be interest from both camps)?
    Unsure on how to answer your questions as I have no e32's or e31's to test fit with at the moment. Will keep you updated.
    Last edited by sbeckman7; 10-20-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Big Red" 9/88 Build 535i/5: E.A.T. Chip, 24lb Bosch Design III, 3.46 LSD, 4x Clear corners, DINAN-style 750i muffler, Racing King Subframe Inserts, Koni/Vogtland suspension, E34 M5 swaybars, Brembo/Porterfield brakes, Turbodiesel grills, 16" Style 8 rims, Euro front plate, M5 rear filler plate.
    Save
    Save

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 323i Baur
    Certainly interested, and interested in what clutch components you used. Does the standard V8/V12 clutch stack work with that throwout bearing? And what is that throwout bearing?

I'm putting together some ideas for an M73 (with MegaSquirt 3) in an E23 7 Series chassis. Of course, it must have a manual transmission. But the thought of $3k+ in the "proper" BMW transmission (and clutch components) that may or may not even fit in an E23 transmission tunnel gives me... pause, to say the least.

Thank you for your time.
    Jonathan

My Cars
    81 Scirocco-92 750il
    yes...(long pause...)....Giggity....

My Cars
    1990 750iL Glacier Blue
    I wonder if a 4 speed Getrag from an early cummins dodge would work?

My Cars
    M-Z3,535i, 320,Vette
    Any updates Spencer???

JB-

I did something similar - In fact I think Spencer used some of my ideas... but I set mine up for a Chevy /Muncie/Sagnaw bolt pattern. It really leaves a LOT of options as far as transmissions.

I'm gonna run a Richmond 6 speed overdrive-all I did was turn down the input shaft tip a few thousands to fit the stock BMW pilot bearing.

For the clutch- I got a hold of a used E31 850 flywheel - drilled and pinned it for a standard Chevy 10.4 clutch- Again- opens up your options.

On my M73/70 hybrid I went w/ the new MS3pro- a little pricey - but will run full sequential and handle my ITBs.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 323i Baur
    Has anyone measured the diameter of the V12 automatic bellhousing?

A Getrag 265 bellhousing is about 13.5" at its widest point, and one from an E34 530i ZF 5-speed is about 17.75", as measured by a friend who has the two transmissions side by side on the ground. I have to believe the V12 bellhousing is even wider than the V8, though maybe not by that much?

Obviously, this matters if it's going to be stuffed into an E23 transmission tunnel without cutting (cutting = bad).

Assuming it does fit, and assuming for a moment Spencer doesn't have more of his design made, I would take the complete 265 transmission and bellhousing, the V12 bellhousing, and a Tremec-style clutch slave (I think that is what's pictured in this thread) to a good machine shop and say, "Please make."

I'm sure I'm over-simplifying this process.

Richard, thank you for the elaboration. I understand drilling/pinning the E31 flywheel for the GM 10.4" parts. Questions on that:

- do you have to use a V12 flywheel? I know the V8 flywheels physically bolt up to the V12 crankshaft, but does the starter engage with the ring gear? (V8 flywheels are easier to come by.)
    - does the BMW clutch stack work with the Tremec-style clutch slave?

By the way, stunning looking engine. Would look great in an E23.

Thanks again.
    Jonathan

My Cars
    M-Z3,535i, 320,Vette
    Jonathon-

The flywheels V8 & V12 (think V10 but haven't personally verified it) have the same crankbolt pattern. The flywheel on the V8 is smaller-I believe 265mm versus 280mm...The E31 is stepped-so most guys replace it rather than try to find someone to correctly resurface it. I got mine for about $100 and machined the "step" out...

I don't know the bore on the BMW-or the throw on the slave...but you can certainly adjust the arm to make it work.

Richard

My Cars
    BMW 850, BMW 325
    I´m interested!

My Cars
    '94 750il
    m definitely interested in whole setup with flywheel and clutch, If price is good.
    Last edited by shogun; 10-12-2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: double posts merged

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Interested yes. A lot of other issues to overcome thought for swaps into various BMW chassis which is what most will want to do. A manual e32 v12 who would want to try that.

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Might be offering this entire setup for sale, PM if interested

Save
    Save