Thread: LSx E36 swapped car weight thread

My Cars
    1997 M3

LSx E36 swapped car weight thread

I searched and didn't see one posted here so I thought we could start one. I've had a bunch of people ask about or question the weight of the swapped E36. Here is mine.

1997 4 door M3 LS3 swap, T56 tranny and Vorshlag swap kit. Full luxury package interrior, PS, AC, ABS, stock M3 wheels ect. 3/4 tank of gas.

Last edited by shakenbake01; 10-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Obviously not the weight with 3 passengers when you were "cruising" with the stroked 'Vette and other assorted turbo/nitrous cars.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    1993 BMW 318is with 5.7L LS1 + T56. Heavy CCW 3-piece wheels (17x10F/17x11R), all the factory sheet metal, aluminum LTW doors, all the glass (minus the door glass). Gutted interior, 8 point roll cage.

Weight with race fuel (2 gallons) and no driver

With the upgrade to an LS2-based 7.0L engine, TR-6060 trans, 3 qt Accusump, oil cooler, and more racey bits added weight went up to 2550 lbs.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    95 325
    At the risk of offending people, unless you have a full tank of gas, the weights are not accurate enough to provide a reasonable estimate of the true weight of the car.

Furthermore, when weighing cars with engine swaps, the best way to determine the weight gain of the swap, is to weigh the car before the swap (with a full tank of gas, and other fluids topped off), and after the swap, with a note of what else was changed during the swap.

Most of the engine swap weights posted on this forum were done without air conditioning, catalytic converters, heat shielding, etc. This has caused a number of people to mistakenly believe the LSx swap does not add weight to the E36.

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

2947 with me, full tank, full interior, 3 batteries, a subwoofer. 2742 without me or the batteries, was hauling stuff to work that day.

2880 For my 325ti with full interior, 2.5" with cats and bmw mufflers, 18"s, blah blah blah.

My stock auto 318ti sport weighed more than the ls1 project car by almost 50lbs.
    Last edited by Bluebimma; 10-18-2012 at 09:58 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3 LS1, '11 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJTR View Post
    At the risk of offending people, unless you have a full tank of gas, the weights are not accurate enough to provide a reasonable estimate of the true weight of the car.

Furthermore, when weighing cars with engine swaps, the best way to determine the weight gain of the swap, is to weigh the car before the swap (with a full tank of gas, and other fluids topped off), and after the swap, with a note of what else was changed during the swap.

Most of the engine swap weights posted on this forum were done without air conditioning, catalytic converters, heat shielding, etc. This has caused a number of people to mistakenly believe the LSx swap does not add weight to the E36.
    rao and shakenbake's cars (with full interiors, ac, etc etc) both show that it doesnt. stock curb weight is ~3200 lbs. swapped curb weight ~3200 lbs. unless you're racing, who cares about a few pounds north or south of stock? +/- 50 lbs is +/- 1.5% of the car's total weight. negligible for a street driven car, imo
    Last edited by ckpitt55; 10-17-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJTR View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree. No racer ever weighs a car with a full tank of gas. You never see that condition on track. Ever. And a street car almost never sees a full tank in use, either. You'd be comparing a condition that most people just don't ever shoot for or see.

Even for street only cars we still weigh cars dry on fuel without driver. We take the spare tire out, empty out the rest of the "trunk junk", and pretty much take them to what a "race weight". Everyone knows the dry weight - its easy to replicate, and it is what you shoot for at the end of the race.

Corner balancing a race car is different. We typically corner balance with the minimum fuel load needed for the beginning of a qualifying lap + the seated driver and helmet. If a racer wants his ideal handling at the beginning of a race we balance with his highest fuel load (for a 20-30 minute race session this is still nowhere near full). If he wants his ideal handling at the end of the race we use minimal fuel load.

Car manufacturers do it half a dozen ways. Some give Curb Weights for cars bone dry (no fluids), some with full tank, some with empty tanks, some use the avg weight of a single occupant, some with 2 people, etc. There is no industry standard for car makers.

Weighing cars with a full tank just doesn't tell you much. In my opinion.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    95 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair View Post
    Car manufacturers do it half a dozen ways. Some give Curb Weights for cars bone dry (no fluids), some with full tank, some with empty tanks, some use the avg weight of a single occupant, some with 2 people, etc. There is no industry standard for car makers.

This OP wanted the thread to be about the weight of a swapped E36 (presumably an LSx/T56). The only way to accurately compare the weights of the LSx E36 cars is with a full tank of gas. The difference between full and empty is close to 140 lbs.

I have weighed a lot of cars with my own scales, and the curb weight of the stock car (or truck) has always been within a few lbs of the published gross vehicle weight, minus the maximum load. This information is usually on a sticker in the door jamb or in the glove box of the vehicle. This is with a full tank of gas, and all fluids topped off.

In my experiences, the E36 LSx/T56 swap will add at least 100 lbs to the car. Add another 70 lbs if the engine is an iron block. The weight increase can be reduced with a different flywheel, no ac, a lighter exhaust and a smaller battery. Of course, having a nearly empty fuel tank can drop at least 140 lbs.

Finally, if you are going to post the weight of a street driven E36 LSx, please top off the fuel tank so we can compare apples to apples.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    My tank was nearly full when on the scales. Plus I had a 35lb subwoofer in the trunk that I didn't feel like taking out. I have AC and PS installed with all fluids topped off. I even have floor mats and a glove box full of junk. I think I am about as heavy as I will ever be.

My purpose for the thread was to compare swap weight numbers with other cars no matter what trim they are in. As long as we post what all the car has or doesn't have it will give everyone an idea of what they can expect and how they want to build their car.

Mike. The full tank idea is a good one. Oh and BTW I love the coolant adapter you made for me. Thanks for all your R&D over the years.

My Cars
    95 bmw m3 ls1/t56 370whp
    hey brad,
    wanted to let you and anyone who is interested know...my ls1/t56 four door, no interior, aluminum seats, roll hoop, no exhaust, no a/c, nearly empty tank, and no spare weighed in at ....2810 lbs.

My Cars
    X5/5MT || Z4MC
    Respectfully, I disagree. No racer ever weighs a car with a full tank of gas. You never see that condition on track. Ever. And a street car almost never sees a full tank in use, either. You'd be comparing a condition that most people just don't ever shoot for or see.

How do you keep your shop so clean? Jello.
    Past Builds:
    S54 E36 Compact Build|Thread|IG|@_goldfinger|

Current Fleet:
    Z4 M Coupe - Black Sapphire Metallic over Black

My Cars
    1997 BMW M-Blasphemy
    3140 lbs

1997 M3 coupe
    Spoiler, sunroof, and full interior
    LS3/T56
    Samberg kit
    PS, PB, ABS, AC
    1/2 Tank of gas+
    Kosei wheels
    No spare tire
    No window washer fluid or reservoir

Last edited by SHhhhh; 11-05-2012 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    4Runner/911
    I put mine on a truck scale a couple weeks ago. 95 M3 with LS2 & T-56, no ABS, no AC, and no gas in the tank or very little at least. Weight without me in the car was 3160#.
    1988 911 - Carb'd - Twin Plug - 3.6
    1999 SL 500
    2016 4Runner TEP - Gone
    1995 M3 - LS2 - Gone
    1998 M3 - Gone
    1991 M5 - Gone
    1993 RS America - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    89 5.0 e30, 87 spec e30

Respectfully, I disagree. No racer ever weighs a car with a full tank of gas. You never see that condition on track. Ever. And a street car almost never sees a full tank in use, either.

FYI. I ALWAYS weigh my race car (se30) with a full tank of gas. Should be ~2765 before the race with driver. Minimum weight is 2700 after the race.

I'm still not sure what my 5.0 e30 weighs.
    Last edited by 71Cruiser; 07-21-2013 at 08:24 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    I am using an intercomp scale for weighing my car but don't get the same weight before and after the race even i had the same level of gas in the tank. Can any one tell me why this happen with me?
    Last edited by Nelson1; 07-12-2014 at 02:13 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    I am using an intercomp scale for weighing my car but don't get the same weight before and after the race even i had the same level of gas in the tank. Can any one tell me why this happen with me?

My Cars
    02 M3
    Anyone have before and after weight?