Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removal of Carbon Deposits

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The stuff that builds up on the current direct injection valves (at least in the BMWs) is a goopy, semi -solid tar-looking substance about the consistancy of dum-dum. i'm pretty sure that it's just solidified oil. And if the car is regularly driven for a long enough time, the oil vapors and the valve get hot enough to keep the goop from gathering on the valve. But once it gets started, it probably collects exponentially.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    z3
    The problem comes from a layer of the oil contacting the hot valve that gets burnt and caked on and then will not simply come off. That is why it ends up building up instead of cleaning off everytime the engine reaches operating temperature.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The problem comes from a layer of the oil contacting the hot valve that gets burnt and caked on and then will not simply come off. That is why it ends up building up instead of cleaning off everytime the engine reaches operating temperature.
    Hadn't thought of that. Which would negate my short-trip theory ....

So the problem is that these stupid vapors are even re-routed back to the intake at all, regardless of whether the engine is regularly driven hot or cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    So the problem is that these stupid vapors are even re-routed back to the intake at all, regardless of whether the engine is regularly driven hot or cold.
    Precisely. Which is why a CCV delete is really what we need more than anything else to prevent this from ever becoming a problem in the first place.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    This is the only way to clean a N54. You can add all the fuel system cleaner you want, but since it's a direct injected motor it won't clean anything before the cylinder. The N54 has an issue with carbon buildup on the intake valve and the runner right before the valve.

True
    This is a problem on all direct injection engines
    Last edited by ross1; 11-02-2014 at 08:54 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    True
    This is a problem on all direct injection engines
    Yea, when I first heard it I did some looking into it and its definitely an issue. When I was working at a Hyundai dealer the DI engines had carbon buildup issues.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Lexus solve she problem by running two sets of injectors.

Audi/Porsche had this problem years ago. I'm honestly surprised there is not a better solution to this problem yet.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    High revving NA engines is the solution.....

My Cars
    E30, E36/5, F350
    Quote Originally Posted by timsev View Post
    High revving NA engines is the solution.....
    High revving N/A direct injected engine will have the same issue. The turbo isn't the cause.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I never said anything about DI or turbos.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Quote Originally Posted by timsev View Post
    I never said anything about DI or turbos.
    NA = Naturally Aspirated hence non-turbo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12