Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Cars
    Look at sig

Angry Paint peeling from my E53 X5 - is yours peeling too?

My fiancee and I bought an E53 X5 in April, one week before we left for Vegas - I only said yes because it is an Estoril X5 4.6iS in Alcantara interior and fully loaded! It was a one owner car with less than 90k miles on it, a beauty to say the least.

Around June we noticed that there were some spots on the car where the paint was peeling. These places are not your average peeling location - between the doors, between the trunk and the body and a few others.

We contacted the owner who told us he had taken the care back to the dealership for the same problem and they told him he was S.O.L. I have had great respect for BMW NA since they took care of my Xi when the same dealer was neglecting my problems.

So I contacted BMW NA. They called me back and informed me there isn't much they can do unless I can prove to them it is a paint issue with BMW, not because of the car's location (the Sunshine State!).

I have a friend who has an X5 of the same age with peeling issues on the A pillar and I contacted another friend at the dealership telling me there are other customers with the same problem, however we all have one environmental factor in common - the Florida sun.

If I can prove that this peeling is due to bad paint/primer on their part, not only will they fix my car but anyone else's who has this issue so I figure I'd throw it out there. If you have this issue contact me via PM, I'm trying to get a list of owners with paint problems, maybe they will see that there was a batch of cars that had this bad material used on it.

Here are some pics of how the car looks. The original owner said he never had the car painted and we had an independent shop look at it and confirm this is the original paint.

[ 1995 Alpine White Coupe M3 Track Build | 1997 Techno Violet M3/4/5 | 2000 Imola Red M5 DINAN S1 | 2001 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 2009 Blue Water 335d ]

|-| I run the largest active group of BMWs in the area, join me at Central Florida BMW Owners |-|

INSTAGRAM/Millakins | FACEBOOK/milla.bimmer

___ NURPLE ___ M3PO ___ M CINQUE ___

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 951
    I've heard that the paint on newer BMWs is horrible but hot damn.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    wow man, thats almost as bad as my 91 S10, for 9 year old paint thats pretty bad.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    Look at sig
    Yeah, trust me, this is ridiculous.

I own a 97 E36 M3 that has NO peeling. My 92 325i never got to this point either... aggravating!
    Last edited by Milla; 08-27-2012 at 02:13 PM.

[ 1995 Alpine White Coupe M3 Track Build | 1997 Techno Violet M3/4/5 | 2000 Imola Red M5 DINAN S1 | 2001 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 2009 Blue Water 335d ]

|-| I run the largest active group of BMWs in the area, join me at Central Florida BMW Owners |-|

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I'll help to inquire with others to see if they are having the same problems...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Look at sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I'll help to inquire with others to see if they are having the same problems...
    Thank you sir

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Can't say I've seen that before. Here's something to think about: are you sure the estoril paint is original to the car and not a color change someone did at some point in it's life?

My Cars
    Look at sig
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    Can't say I've seen that before. Here's something to think about: are you sure the estoril paint is original to the car and not a color change someone did at some point in it's life?
    Absolutely positive :P this is from the internal computer off BMW

VIN: **********712
    Chassis Number: LN80712
    Line Make: 02 - SAV
    Model Year: 2003
    AG Model Code/Desc: FB03 - X5 M
    NA Model Code/Desc: 0366 - X5 4.6is
    Exterior Color Code: 335 (Estoril Blue Metallic)
    Interior Trim Code: F2SV (M Textur Black/Silver Leather)
    MSRP: $69,675.00

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Any signs of it being repainted? Could have been repainted with original color if in an accident or exposed to hail damage for example. Not everything shows up on carfax.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    Look at sig
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Any signs of it being repainted? Could have been repainted with original color if in an accident or exposed to hail damage for example. Not everything shows up on carfax.
    Contacted the single previous owner, he said the car had its headlights stolen so they changed the hood because of damage (the guy had this car from day 1, the sales man at the Audi dealership we bought it from said he had to promise the owner he'd sell it to an enthusiast - the original owner loved this car). Also, no sign of being repainted. The door panels were removed when we took it in at the body shop.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Somehow I don't think that sun is the issue with the peeling paint in the hatch and door jambs.

Also, when a re-paint peels, it doesn't generally peel off to reveal untouched primer beneath it, it'll usually show another layer of paint, or primer with sanding marks or bare metal.

That looks like a case of peeling paint for sure. Unfortunately, BMW's paint warranty is only 6 years for vehicles prior to model year 2004. So your paint warranty expired 3 years ago. Mode Year 2004 and newer vehicles have a 12-year perforation warranty on paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    E39 ///M5
    I'm also in sunny south Florida. And I've seen my fair share of sun damaged BMWs.

But the paint never peels in those locations. Usually the roof, hood, trunk, and top ridges of doors.

But your peeling areas are just weird

Good luck with everything. Hope BMW takes care of it.

My Cars
    Look at sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    That looks like a case of peeling paint for sure. Unfortunately, BMW's paint warranty is only 6 years for vehicles prior to model year 2004. So your paint warranty expired 3 years ago. Mode Year 2004 and newer vehicles have a 12-year perforation warranty on paint.
    I was absolutely not aware of that. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe that's why *I* need to prove it's a problem on their end, because deep down, they know I'm right

Quote Originally Posted by ///mfizzle View Post
    I'm also in sunny south Florida. And I've seen my fair share of sun damaged BMWs.

But the paint never peels in those locations. Usually the roof, hood, trunk, and top ridges of doors.

But your peeling areas are just weird

Good luck with everything. Hope BMW takes care of it.
    Thanks, I've never seen anything like this.

Since I posted this though I've gotten 5 emails with people having the same problem :

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    What colors are those other 5 people's vehicles?

And even if you do prove it's a problem on their end, your warranty still expired 3 years ago, so they're really under no contractual obligation to do anything.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 08-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Look at sig
    What colors are those other 5 people's vehicles?

And even if you do prove it's a problem on their end, your warranty still expired 3 years ago, so they're really under no contractual obligation to do anything.
    Two black, two silver and one other Estoril.

They're under no contractual obligation, but I do have them on record saying they'd fix this problem and anyone else who could be linked to this specific faulty paint/primer problem.

Innocent until proven guilty :P

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Oh, I didn't know about their offer to fix it for you. It's not the first time I've seen that specific kind of peeling either. I've seen a couple other E53s with the paint peeling similarly in the door edges and hatch area. It was a few years ago though.

My Cars
    96 e38, 97 e39, 02 e53
    Forgive me if I repeat what has already been said. I didn't read all the replies. Anyhoo, it looks like somebody reapinted it and didn't spray enough paint and/or didn't prep the surface right. It looks mostly like it was just sprayed too thin. And they used single stage paint to make it worst. That sux.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimm View Post
    Forgive me if I repeat what has already been said. I didn't read all the replies. Anyhoo, it looks like somebody reapinted it and didn't spray enough paint and/or didn't prep the surface right. It looks mostly like it was just sprayed too thin. And they used single stage paint to make it worst. That sux.

you should read thru the thread.

(no repaint)

My Cars
    96 e38, 97 e39, 02 e53
    you should read thru the thread.

(no repaint)
    personaly, i dont believe anything previous owners say. they could say anything to make it sound good to the buyer. as someone stated, everyting isnt in car fax so you never truly know what happened to that vehicle. maybe it is indeed just crappy paint. maybe it was repainted. regardless, that sucks. im sorry the op has to go through this.

and to you, critter7, i didn't read through b/c i had something to do at the time. i intended on coming back later to read through them, as i did. lets play nice.

My Cars
    2002 Acura RSX Type S
    I always get worried about my paint peeling.. Especially with aftermarket paint. Nothing is like factory paint!

My Cars
    E34 M5
    I can't prove it, but something tells me that car had a full respray early in its life.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    That looks like a primer problem to me. I would guess the from the factory that X5 missed a step in the painting process before the color coat or a lower layer of paint was sprayed poorly.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    kinda looks like what happened to my 06 mustang... and I bought that car brand new off the lot...

My Cars
    96 e38, 97 e39, 02 e53
    Quote Originally Posted by PorscheH6 View Post
    I can't prove it, but something tells me that car had a full respray early in its life.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by LuisGT View Post
    kinda looks like what happened to my 06 mustang... and I bought that car brand new off the lot...
    Ford has been having that problem for years.
    Last edited by Slimm; 08-28-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    02 X5 4.6is
    My 4.6 paint seems to be amazing, only 1 or 2 rock chips after 140k miles.

The locations of your peeling are really weird.

Take it to a high end body shop, they will be able to inspect the paint and measure the thickness to tell you if it is factory or not.

Either way BMW is going to tell you to take a hike, regardless of how many people claim to have the same problem.
    93 318i red/tan - 131,xxx - bone stock daily driver
    02 x5 4.6is titanium silver/black alcantara - dinan stage 4 - eibach/bilstein - brembo 380/345mm bbk - 149k miles - sold
    95 m3 hellrot/black - dinan stage 1 - koni 1150 - arc8 - 155k miles - sold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast