Thread: Fog lights wont turn on

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i Sedan (E90

Fog lights wont turn on

What's up guys!! I have a 2000 323i.. Fog lights won't turn on.. I checked the bulbs, fuses, wires and everything seems fine.. The fog light seems to work too.. It light up when I press the button.. I checked the fuses in the glove box are their more fuses in the engine compartment?? Any ideas??

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Both fog lights stopped working at the same time? Could be LCM or a loose wire. What about the headlights and parking lights?
    IG: ZeeZooM3

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i Sedan (E90
    Well they haven't been working since I bought the car in March.. Headlights and signal lights do work.. I checked the wires on the LCM that's on the driver side correct?? The fog light button lights up too when I press to turn them on..

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    I'm pretty sure all 2000 323i's came with fog lights from the factory. Are they the factory halogen ones or are they LED? Maybe PO played with them and wired them up wrong or at all. Do another look-over and make sure there are no loose wires and bulbs are still good. LCM sounds fine if the light shows up that the fogs are on.
    IG: ZeeZooM3

My Cars
    '05 330i ZHP, '04 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by MozMan08 View Post
    Well they haven't been working since I bought the car in March.. Headlights and signal lights do work.. I checked the wires on the LCM that's on the driver side correct?? The fog light button lights up too when I press to turn them on..
    Sounds like the relay for the fog lights is bad. Easy fix and I'm 99% sure that's the problem. But, just in case I'm wrong, here's an easy way to test it out first:

You're going to need to check pins 2, 4, 6, and 8 on the relay. The relay should be behind the glovebox, top row, second from the right, and is usually green colored. The pin numbers should be printed on the relay or the socket. Start with Pin 2.

Pin 2 - With your foglight bulbs plugged in, check the resistance between Pin 2 and Ground. You should get a reading of about 1 ohm, but no higher than 5 ohms.

Pin 4 - Check the resistance between Pin 4 and Ground. You should get a reading of 0 Ohms.

Pin 6 - Check the voltage of Pin 6 with your key in the "ON" position. You should see 12V.

Pin 8 - Now turn your foglight switch to "ON" and have your key in the "ON" position and check the voltage. It should show 12V.

If you get different readings than this, specifically very high resistance, or no voltage on pins 6 and 8, your relay is likely bad. Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to swap out another relay and test the fogs but this is the "technical way" to do it.
    Last edited by TunedBimmer; 08-07-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    *** Former BMW master technician and custom tuner. Still maintain garage space at my house to work on customers' cars and can run full dealer-level diagnostics and programming for all model years through 2012 if you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. PM me.
    * Looking for a clean 2005-2006 M3, 6-speed manual, in Imola Red. PM me if you know of one for sale.

My Cars
    2001 330xi

Same issue here on 2001 330xi

My switch does nothing, no indicator light or anything. Possible switch or fuse bad? Does anyone know what fuse number controls the fog lamps?

Fuse 38 15 amp was ok. Found problem. Swich on dash needs to be selected on the corner of rectangular button. Seychelles must be going out.
    Last edited by dpostelnicu; 10-12-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost