Thread: no cluster and console light fix process

My Cars
    Coupe, 997 Targa4S, 911

no cluster and console light fix process

Im trying to figure out what caused my Z to lose the console and cluster lights simultaenously.

The ff. checked out (after reading a couple threads):

-all my console and cluster bulbs are functional / not busted.

-my headlight switch, dimmer rheostat is functional.

-all fuses are OK.

Im quite certain that the cause is a shorted wire somewhere. I checked out the cluster section and all the wires are clean.
    Im suspecting the short is somewhere below the Radio (aftermarket), or the shifter console (non-illuminated knob).

Any advice on how to systematically track the shorted wire is appreciated.

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,
    I know we share some technology with the e30's, and on those cars these symptoms appear when the dimming switch fails. The one you pull to turn on headlights, and twist to dim interion gauges.

My Cars
    Coupe, 997 Targa4S, 911
    Quote Originally Posted by Wojtek79 View Post
    I know we share some technology with the e30's, and on those cars these symptoms appear when the dimming switch fails. The one you pull to turn on headlights, and twist to dim interion gauges.
    Checked....headlight switch functional.

My Cars
    07 e93, 84 325 m50/hx40
    I have the same issue.... Could possibly be the shifter shorts out the dash... But I'm still unsure on how to fix it. I have tried toremove the shifter but contrary to all instructions, it doesn't pull right off.
    I'm keeping an eye on this one

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkyfried View Post
    I'm keeping an eye on this one
    ...ditto... mine just went out yesterday!

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    Coupe, 997 Targa4S, 911
    Quote Originally Posted by SunzOut View Post
    Most common cause is the wire for lighted shift knob breaking and shorting out.
    checked...mine is not lighted.

...cluster lights good, headlight switch good.

I'm wondering what is the common site for a short ?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by spine911 View Post
    checked...mine is not lighted.

...cluster lights good, headlight switch good.

I'm wondering what is the common site for a short ?
    We told you the common spots. Ive seen a lot of failures in the illuminated shift knob and a few in the headlight area. Wherever yours shorted seems to be not normal. Any aftermarket stereo equipment or anything else wired into the car not from the factory?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Coupe, 997 Targa4S, 911
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    We told you the common spots. Ive seen a lot of failures in the illuminated shift knob and a few in the headlight area. Wherever yours shorted seems to be not normal. Any aftermarket stereo equipment or anything else wired into the car not from the factory?
    yes, previous owner installed an aftermarket radio.

I also noticed that the factory BMW alarm LED blinker was installed in the center console behind the cup holders. I suspect the short is somewhere between the radio, and the cup holder center section area.

My Cars
    2001 Z3
    Spine911. Don't get mad, but please answer my Dumb Question. If there is a short in the dash illumination wiring, then it usually takes out the Rheostat. Mine went, after my Shifter illumination wire shorted out.
    How have you tested the rheostat. ie. How do you know it is working and passing power to the lights.
    If it is the Rheostat, then all cluster and console lights that dim run through the rheostat.

My Cars
    Coupe, 997 Targa4S, 911
    Quote Originally Posted by comsult View Post
    Spine911. Don't get mad, but please answer my Dumb Question. If there is a short in the dash illumination wiring, then it usually takes out the Rheostat. Mine went, after my Shifter illumination wire shorted out.
    How have you tested the rheostat. ie. How do you know it is working and passing power to the lights.
    If it is the Rheostat, then all cluster and console lights that dim run through the rheostat.
    yes, rheostat checked...I do have a roadster, and a newly acquired coupe
    I accidentally shorted my other switch to test...that's why I know I have a wiring problem.

My Cars
    2001 Z3
    I'd start at the most obvious...The last work done....the Radio.
    Remove the plug from the radio, and see if the short still exists, it could be the Radio illumination system. Did it dim with the rest of the gauge lamps?
    If the short still exists then check for pinched wires around the radio.
    Other than that... It's a real PITA to find a short in an OEM harness, other than pinch points.
    Good Luck with the search, and BTW let us know when you do find the problem.
    If it was the aftermarket radio, or it's install or something we should all be aware of.