Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: E34 540i/6 Turbo Build

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    M6x engines are not fragile. For over a year I had a a nasty engine cut out so bad the whole engine would shut off. I lost some compression in the suspected cylinder but the engine still running strong at 7.5 psi, t66, 10/1 cp, and recently found out I been accidently over revving to 7300 + rpm for I dont know how long.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW. Problem turned out to be a bum coil. So I replaced all of them for security

My Cars
    1995 M3 Drag C4 Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post
    had the same idea with my setup. Seeing as how my engine doesnt really rev high, I dont understand the point of having those huge laggy turbos that only make power all the way at the top of the rev band.
    Because bigger turbos are easier on stock, pump gas engines....

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Well all those huge power builds I see end up going through 3-4 motors in a span of just a year or two so whats the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by zemaestro View Post

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by zemaestro View Post
    That is an often overlooked, or maybe just not understood, benefit of the bigger turbos. All of that fat torque band from a nice responsive small turbo comes at a price of being closer to the detonation threshold. Gotta pick your poison.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Damn, sorry to hear about the timing issue and resultant motor death. Post up those ringland pics when you gut it. That is not a lot of boost, but the 38 degrees of timing must have done it. Could you hear the detonation, or was your exhaust fully open?
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post
    Well all those huge power builds I see end up going through 3-4 motors in a span of just a year or two so whats the point?
    Sometimes being kinda fast isn't enough.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    That is an often overlooked, or maybe just not understood, benefit of the bigger turbos. All of that fat torque band from a nice responsive small turbo comes at a price of being closer to the detonation threshold. Gotta pick your poison.
    That's what electronic boost control is for. Let's say I don't want more boost than 5psi at 3krpm, no problem, open the wastegate with 0 duty cycle on the boost solenoid. But from 4k and up I want a lot more power, turn up the boost solenoid duty cycle at which ever rpm you want.
    Easy to ramp up the boost or turn it down, if you have twin 44mm wastegate and a good ecu/boost controller.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Damn, sorry to hear about the timing issue and resultant motor death. Post up those ringland pics when you gut it. That is not a lot of boost, but the 38 degrees of timing must have done it. Could you hear the detonation, or was your exhaust fully open?
    Engine sound really smooth, not a hiccup or any detonation sound at all. Open dump tubes and semi loud exhaust tend to not make it easier.
    Don't think I even want to waste the time to pull the motor apart to find the carnage, just throw it away and keep going with a new one. I would never spend the money to do piston/rod/sleeves on an M60 anyways, so if I blow another one, no big deal. Just a couple hundred $$$.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    For shits and giggles two my friends have s54 powered cars (one is a z3m and the other e36 swapped) both have just bolt-on mods, tune etc.

& they've blown 5 motors between the two of them compared to me having built just two motors in my 6 years being boosted....heh

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    That's what electronic boost control is for. Let's say I don't want more boost than 5psi at 3krpm, no problem, open the wastegate with 0 duty cycle on the boost solenoid. But from 4k and up I want a lot more power, turn up the boost solenoid duty cycle at which ever rpm you want.
    Easy to ramp up the boost or turn it down, if you have twin 44mm wastegate and a good ecu/boost controller.
    Well sure, if you're that fancy!

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by e30kid89 View Post
    For shits and giggles two my friends have s54 powered cars (one is a z3m and the other e36 swapped) both have just bolt-on mods, tune etc.

& they've blown 5 motors between the two of them compared to me having built just two motors in my 6 years being boosted....heh
    My v8 friends can't even comprehend how stock my motor is, how much power it makes, and how I never blow it up.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    My v8 friends can't even comprehend how stock my motor is, how much power it makes, and how I never blow it up.
    That's just cuz you picked the wrong parts for blowing up.... get with the program.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Id like to sit here and agree with all of you but ive blown up a ton of crap LOL
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    He53 540 e34 6sp black
    very interesting build, im surprised you fit the 3'' down pipe, i might have tried to re rout the ac lines cause im a little bitch and hate shvetty balls. have you thought about an air too water intercooler. if i were to boost my 540 id go with one cause of the space savings, regardless every cool to see someone boosting m60s, appreciate the documentation

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by swanni View Post
    very interesting build, im surprised you fit the 3'' down pipe, i might have tried to re rout the ac lines cause im a little bitch and hate shvetty balls. have you thought about an air too water intercooler. if i were to boost my 540 id go with one cause of the space savings, regardless every cool to see someone boosting m60s, appreciate the documentation
    I could probably fit a 3.5" and maybe only have to put a dent or two in it to clear the pass side head.
    I could care less for A/C, our summers aren't crazy hot here at all and I don't commute in this car. It will only see weekend cruises, track event and lots of night action. For hot days, my S600 and SL65 AMG both have A/C cooled seat, so I don't even sweat a bit while driving those even in 90+ temps.
    There is not much room for air to water, air to air will work just fine.
    My SL65 AMG has air to water, and by the time you set it all up with the plumbing/pumps/exchanger/adding ice all the time etc. I don't think it's really worth it for the street unless your car already had it. For the track and dyno it works great.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    4.9L 540i/Porsche 997
    Just checked your facebook page. Very nice clamps. Do they come in different colors? Also, please check facebook, I have question about your MaxxECU. Thanks!
    22RPD Tuning '95 540i/6 custom turbo mit Borg Warner S400sxe/Rebello Racing 4.9L M62/JE pistons/Arrow rods/custom cams/S62 crankshaft/Darton sleeved/Focal custom stereo
    Porsche 996 Turbo Evosport GT 700-[700hp]-my daily

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz66 View Post
    Just checked your facebook page. Very nice clamps. Do they come in different colors? Also, please check facebook, I have question about your MaxxECU. Thanks!
    Yes, they offer them in black, blue and now just released a bunch more colors.

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    New motor installed. Fixed a few exhaust leaks while it was out
    Intercooler installed, new charge pipes fitted. Engine runs good so far, almost ready for dyno again.
    Wired up a fuel pressure sensor, easy to log it now and set up a failsafe for it in case I run out of pump or the pump gets clogged/breaks.

New intercooler is a night and day difference, turbo builds boost while just free revving in neutral, while before it wouldn't build any boost in 4th gear, WOT with load.
    Going to go with a ProVent 200 setup for the crankcase ventilation and get rid of the atmospheric vent setup. So now I have to build a mini intake to have it pull the fumes out of the provent 200.

Here's a few pics:

Intercooler set in place, charge pipes are built and ready for paint

A little simpler charge pipe routing and should flow a bit better.

Would not be able to fit an intercooler any bigger than this into the opening I had to work with.

My Cars
    4.9L 540i/Porsche 997
    Why did you decide on the MaxxECU? Any particular reason from all the other standalones?
    22RPD Tuning '95 540i/6 custom turbo mit Borg Warner S400sxe/Rebello Racing 4.9L M62/JE pistons/Arrow rods/custom cams/S62 crankshaft/Darton sleeved/Focal custom stereo
    Porsche 996 Turbo Evosport GT 700-[700hp]-my daily

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz66 View Post
    Why did you decide on the MaxxECU? Any particular reason from all the other standalones?
    I've seen them used on several turbo m60 setups in Europe.
    I downloaded their software and looked around, everything looked simple and easy to use.
    The Bluetooth output to tablet for all gauges and switches, built in 4bar map sensor and wideband with closed loop also benefited to me deciding to go with maxxecu

The owner of Dyno dynamics stateside, Steve Nichols also uses, sells, and supports maxxecu, so he can provide support for 2 products of mine and always calls back right away or even answers his cell any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    New motor is in and running good.
    Timing of 60 degree crank angle from missing tooth is verified and is the perfect setting for an M60 engine with MaxxECU.
    Build an intake setup, so I can install a ProVent200 oil separator and pull the gasses out with the intake. The aluminum pipe will have a 1" barb fitting welded to it on the bottom and out of sight.
    Still need to decide where I will mount the ProVent200 once I receive it.

Otherwise it's ready to go back on the dyno and make some power.

I set the timing light to 0 degrees advance, locked the ignition timing to 0 degrees advance in the software, and the spark fires exactly right on the TDC mark.
    Picture was take with the engine running and the timing light on.

Simple 4" silicone elbow, 2" long 4" aluminum pipe and reuse the same air filter.

Here's me testing launch settings, very easy on it and it easily builds the 5psi waste gate spring pressure. I tried some more aggressive loud banging setting that shoot 4' flames, those were fun too.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Figured out why I couldn't adjust the idle at all, turns out the ICV was stuck in nearly closed position the entire time.
    Plugged in a spare and I could actually see it open/close to new positions with different duty cycles.
    After that, the idle control works fine now, just got to tune it in closed loop.
    My friend also dropped off some new clamps he made for me to get rid of the t-bolts for the ICV hose. He made 2 different IDs so that in case the larger one is too lose, the smaller ID can tighten the hose properly. Worked perfect, the ICV side used a large one than the barb one on the elbow.

Intake setup is completed and installed.

Drove it for the first time since the turbo setup. Went to the gas station, live data looked good.
    Pulled a bit of timing for boost, only running 20 degrees at 5psi. Fuel looked good. Set the rpm limiter to 5500 and got on it a few times.
    Felt great and pulled good for just 5psi and low limiter.

Now just awaiting for the new crankcase setup and back on the dyno she goes.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Nasty!

My Cars
    Looks awesome! Keep us updated.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Rock on Dimitri. That intercooler fix should be much much better all around, interested in how the Provent works out - I remember hearing good things about those for tricky PCV motors a few years back, somebody used it on a big power Audi build.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast