Thread: Audio: Wiring component speakers and amp using factory wires

My Cars
    some car

Audio: Wiring component speakers and amp using factory wires

Hi,

I'm trying to install some component speakers on my friend's 99 E39 540i, no DSP. I'm running into some confusion with the wiring. I've done plenty of searches but nothing comes up that will confirm what I'm trying to do. The confusion lies within diagram I'm using which shows that I use the same color wire for the negative wires for the tweeters and woofers.

The stock audio has 3-way but I'm going 2-way. I'm also installing two amps (1 for speakers, 1 for sub) and a double din Pioneer dvd deck.

I found this wiring diagram but I'm not sure how I can wire my tweeter and woofer using the same negative wires from the amp 26 pin connector.

I also found this, which has the pin numbering, but it doesn't tell me the color of the wires.

The pinouts for the 26 pin connector are:
    PIN - CONNECTION
    1- LH front woofer +
    2- LH front woofer -
    3- Not used
    4- RH front mid-range -
    5- LH front mid-range +
    6- Not used
    7- Not used
    8- Not used
    9- RH front mid-range +
    10-LH front mid-range -
    11-Right rear mid-range speaker/tweeter +
    12-RH front tweeter +
    13-RH front woofer +
    14-LH front tweeter +
    15 LH front tweeter -
    16-Left rear mid-range speaker/tweeter -
    17-Not used
    18-Not used
    19-Left rear mid-range speaker/tweeter +
    20-Not used
    21-Not used
    22-Not used
    23-Not used
    24-Right rear mid-range speaker/tweeter -
    25-RH front tweeter -
    26 RH front woofer -
    Also, which negative wires should I be taping into for the front of the car where the speakers are? I see like 3 negative wires on each side that all look the same (for 3 speakers in the front).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by T07N; 04-09-2012 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    e39
    So are you gonna sacrifice midranges?

My Cars
    some car
    Nope, why would I be sacrificing mid ranges. I'm using a double din Pioneer deck too btw.

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by T07N View Post
    Nope, why would I be sacrificing mid ranges. I'm using a double din Pioneer deck too btw.
    Ok so the high range are going then...

Why don't you just upgrade all the speakers with something better, since you are using a Pioneer HU, with this alone, the sound quality will be dramatically improved already.

Also I am confused, correct me if I am wrong but you have the OEM amp already in the boot since your car is a US model, so it should be a matter of just swapping, with a few slices eventually.
    Also speakers should be a direct swap too, I am not sure why you would need to get to other wires, since they are here already. If you need to install more speakers in the front as you seem to be saying, just extend the existing wires.

Maybe I misunderstood you somewhere along the way ...

My Cars
    2000 BMW 525i Touring
    No offence but it doesn't sound like you're the best person to be working on your friend's car.

BMW 525i Touring, AC Schnitzer alloys, leather trim, cruise control, aux input, BSW Sub, brushed titanium trim

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528I
    I have All my speaker working on my double din Kenwood. I cut all the speaker wire from the factory amp in the back run all wire to the head unit. Then I added a bass blocker to all my speaker in the car and everything sound smooth...

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I just replaced my speakers and amp (non-DSP) and found every reference to wiring was wrong.
    I made this by tracing every wire to all the speakers.

You really don't need the front mid ranges as the replacement woofer and tweeter will cover the full range. (I used Boston Acoustics SC50's front and rear).

Last edited by JimLev; 04-09-2012 at 09:17 PM.

My Cars
    some car
    ^WOW that's exactly what I was looking for and everything makes so much more sense now! Something that shows me both the color of the wires and the pins. Thank you so much!

Since there's not really a perfect DIY for something like this on here. I'll try to take some pictures of the completed wiring process once I'm done with the project.

Quote Originally Posted by fooljam View Post
    Ok so the high range are going then...

Why don't you just upgrade all the speakers with something better, since you are using a Pioneer HU, with this alone, the sound quality will be dramatically improved already.

Also I am confused, correct me if I am wrong but you have the OEM amp already in the boot since your car is a US model, so it should be a matter of just swapping, with a few slices eventually.
    Also speakers should be a direct swap too, I am not sure why you would need to get to other wires, since they are here already. If you need to install more speakers in the front as you seem to be saying, just extend the existing wires.

Maybe I misunderstood you somewhere along the way ...
    Yes, I think you misunderstood my post almost completely. hehe. It's ok, the last poster gave me the info I needed. It's not my choice regarding the speakers. It's more of my friend's choice to buy a 2-way. I'm not sacrificing ANY high, mid or low by installing aftermarket speakers. The speakers will have full range since I'm putting in brand new 2-way speakers and taking out the old stock 3-way.

Quote Originally Posted by beemerinjapan View Post
    No offence but it doesn't sound like you're the best person to be working on your friend's car.
    You're probably not the best person to post in this thread. If you can't offer help, the least you can do is shut it? TY!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwabbit12 View Post
    I have All my speaker working on my double din Kenwood. I cut all the speaker wire from the factory amp in the back run all wire to the head unit. Then I added a bass blocker to all my speaker in the car and everything sound smooth...
    Yeah, that's how I would've done it if I were to use the HU for POWER, but I'm actually using separates amps.
    Last edited by T07N; 04-09-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 moonlight silver
    Since there's not really a perfect DIY for something like this on here. I'll try to take some pictures of the completed wiring process once I'm done with the project.

Heard that before.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 525i Touring

You're probably not the best person to post in this thread. If you can't offer help, the least you can do is shut it? TY!

LMAO. Knew you'd come back with a reply like that. If you're using a new headunit, new amps and new speakers why not just use new wires too?

BMW 525i Touring, AC Schnitzer alloys, leather trim, cruise control, aux input, BSW Sub, brushed titanium trim

My Cars
    1999 540i/6
    Because Running new wires is a b#tch to do.

My Cars
    some car
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerinjapan View Post
    LMAO. Knew you'd come back with a reply like that. If you're using a new headunit, new amps and new speakers why not just use new wires too?
    Stock wires are beefy enough for our purpose. New wires will just be a waste of time and effort.

My Cars
    e39

Yes, I think you misunderstood my post almost completely. hehe. It's ok, the last poster gave me the info I needed.
    I don't think I did, I know you were after diagrams and all, I just found the thing over complicated and was confused at the wires since mines were plug and play but again, our e39 in Europe are a bit different, those with the standard audio system do not have amps, ours are in the head units.
    I did upgrade all my speakers with Alpine ones, and I find the quality being so much better with this upgrade alone. Now of course with an nice external amp it would be even sweeter..
    Glad you are sorted out anyway.

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    I don't think I did, I know you were after diagrams and all, I just found the thing over complicated and was confused at the wires since mines were plug and play but again, our e39 in Europe are a bit different, those with the standard audio system do not have amps, ours are in the head units.
    I did upgrade all my speakers with Alpine ones, and I find the quality being so much better with this upgrade alone. Now of course with an nice external amp it would be even sweeter..
    Glad you are sorted out anyway.
    Your point makes sense if he is using his factory amp. Apparently, the head unit will be powering the speakers.

You are right...an external amp makes all the difference in the sound quality. The factory amp is a piece of $hit.

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
    Your point makes sense if he is using his factory amp. Apparently, the head unit will be powering the speakers.

You are right...an external amp makes all the difference in the sound quality. The factory amp is a piece of $hit.
    Yeah but in his case he even use 2 different aftermarket amps, just to make things even more complicated...
    Replacing the OEM amp would have been a lot easier but his set up is just much more complex. Hence my confusion.

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Yeah but in his case he even use 2 different aftermarket amps, just to make things even more complicated...
    Replacing the OEM amp would have been a lot easier but his set up is just much more complex. Hence my confusion.
    Ahhh...did not catch that in the first post.

I am using two separate amps in my setup, but I bypassed the factory wiring and installed all new 14 ga. wiring. throughout the whole car. However, I still have a three way setup in the front and two way in the rear.

The factory wiring is pretty weak if one is to use quality amps that put out good, clean power. The only problem I have is the crappy sound quality from my Dynavin head unit.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I won't argue with you about the wires could be better and a heavier gauge for a more powerful amp. However I didn't bother changing mine (looks like a 2 day job), mine sounds very good. I'm using a JL Audio XD400/4 for all the speakers in the car and a powered sub in the trunk.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i ///MSport
    Great thread! Very informative!

My Cars
    BMW 540 1999 Sedan

fitting Chinese entertainment unit

Hi - I have the same unit as in this picture, its is a 1999 540i - I am trying to fit a Chinese DVD- radio unit but the cable it comes with has a big square 17 pin plug which my car doesnt have - any help appreciated - Bert, New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I just replaced my speakers and amp (non-DSP) and found every reference to wiring was wrong.
    I made this by tracing every wire to all the speakers.

You really don't need the front mid ranges as the replacement woofer and tweeter will cover the full range. (I used Boston Acoustics SC50's front and rear).

My Cars
    '99 540iT; '00 M5
    Great info by JimLev !!

This would be so helpful to me if all 3 of my e39s were nonDSP! (all 3 have DSP) Great work nonetheless

My Cars
    '01 540i6, '03 X5 4.6is
    Are SC55s the updated SC50s? If so, do they work well with the factory DSP crossover points?
    2001 Aspen Silver 540i6 - 180k mi - 3" DUDMD Tune, aFe Intake, M60 Intake Manifold, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars (F&R), e60 SSK