Thread: Clicking/Clacking Noise on Cold Start Up

My Cars
    2012 BMW 528i

Clicking/Clacking Noise on Cold Start Up

Hello All,

Please note I am new here and if I am posting in the wrong place or doing something incorrect let me know.

Yes I know the description isn't perfect but it's the best I can describe. I have a 2012 528i which I've owned for about 6 weeks. I noticed the noise when I first got the car but never paid attention to it because I thought it was normal. Now though it's gotten slightly louder and more ofter. Everytime I start the car in the morning or after its been sitting for a couple hours it'll make a clicking/clacking noise from under the hood. Sounds like its coming from the left side of the engine block. Even if I let the car 'warm up' it noise decreases slightly but doesn't go away until I begin to drive a couple feet.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm thinking about dropping the car at the dealership on Wednesday and getting it checked out.

Below are 2 videos from separate mornings.

Thanks everyone ahead of time.

-Philippe

My Cars
    2012 BMW 535i
    My 2012 535i does the same thing. Haven't really looked into it...going to ask they look into it when I take it in for service. Let me know if you find out anything. I will do the same.

My Cars
    2011 550i
    Well, I have a 550 and mine is dead quiet. The video you post is a bit concerning and like you, I would have it at the dealer ASAP. It could be anything from a pin hole in the exhaust (which would sound more like a tapping) to dry valve train (very noisy, which is kind of what yours sounds like. Its possible that the sound goes away when you go in motion because you increase RPM. That could mean its building oil pressure and getting oil out to the motor like it should at idle. To me, those are bad sounds for this caliber of car.
    2014 X5 35d, 2007 SL550

My Cars
    2011 BMW 528i
    I hav e the 2011 straight six and in cold morning mine does some tapping sounds for the first 5 minutes after starting it up... never was really concerned since it goes away once the engine warms up but I may have to take it by the dealer just to be sure.

When I test drove the 4 cylinder before deciding to go used to get the I6 the test car sounded just like this when we did a cold start (about 40F outside at that time) and then it went away.

Thanks,
    Daniel

My Cars
    2012 BMW 528i
    Update:
    So I went and dropped it off at the dealership. They gave me a rental (2011 328i which sounded like the engine was gonna explode with only 19,000 miles) and kept it for a day and a half. I also told them that I would randomly get a warning that my fuel cap was unscrewed.

They tested it 3 times cold starts and waited over night and tried it. They said there was nothing out of the ordinary. The fuel cap was do to a faulty sensor which they ordered.

So bottom line I guess is the noise is normal, which is kind ~scratch that~ Really disappointing. I have to bring the car back to get the sensor switched out. Good new though, only cost me $21 for the whole thing. The $21 was for the extra insurance for the rental (it was raining, figured I should get it haha)

So if anyone hears the similar noise then apparently its normal.

Thanks everyone

meteck is offline Houston CCA Houston 7ers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL, 2011 528
    They told me the same thing.

Totally stock 97 740iL except for SatRad

My Cars
    E34 540i/6
    These cars are not meant to be kept for long term. Once my lease is up, they can have it back. They've already had to replace the fuel rails, on my 7k mile car. Go figure.

Ace

My Cars
    2011 BMW 550I
    It sounds like the direct injection system. It is louder now because of the pressure of the fuel in the systems. That might be why the dealer can't hear it. And you might hear it more on the N20 engine because it is smaller then the I6 or the V8. But all the engines have that ticking sound. If you read some reviews, some people talk about how at idle, it might sound like diesel. Worse case, take it to another dealer.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 528i
    Thanks, that's very helpful information. I'm already reaching 9K miles in 4 months, I'm due for service soon so I'll have them take another look then.

My Cars
    2012 528i

2012 bmw 528i

also got the car a week ago - engine noise is terrible. sounds like a diesel. not sure if they got too much technology in a 4 cyl. or there is a problem. No oil or valve tapping, or something else. sounds bad at all idle. but its been a long time since i owned a 4 and compared to the turbo 335 six maybe its ok.
    does anyone have more data?
    I am certain if i took it to a dealer they would tell me its normal.

My Cars
    The four cylinder is just inheritantly noisey on cold start. And pretty much always at idle. So yeah, it's normal. I personally love driving it, but I just don't like the way they sound at idle.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    e60, f30
    was strolling on the side walk and noticed an f10 528 idling; was just as loud and clanky as the f30... turnout they both have the N20 engine. It's noisy like that.

My Cars
    540i. 525i
    Normal for this motor to rattle 2-3 seconds on first start. I have fresh rebuild, good clearances and two rebuilt vanoses. I’ve had other cars that did this as well. It takes a few seconds for the oil to circulate. Best to not touch the gas pedal until the rpm drops diwn to normal idle speed. This is usually about 10 to 15 seconds