Thread: High milage e60

My Cars
    1997 528i

High milage e60

hello everyone,
    first post in the e60 section but a decent offer (based on KBB) came up on an e60.
    it is an 06 and the interior is flawless, and the paint is very good with exception of the rear bumper. I can do body work so its not a big concern.
    assuming the suspension could be shot, i also expect to revamp the suspension with some aftermarket strut/springs

my main concern is the 170,000 Miles. i am going to car fax this and really pick apart what is there but this would be in addition to my e39 for a few months untill i know this car is solid and can sell my e39. (<<high milage 150,000 so i understand the maintenance!)

now, with a clean carfax, showing regular maintenance would you consider this if the price: (A) matched KBB value, and (B) was affordable?

a test drive and a take home event of a few days before jumping in would need to clear with out problems before i consider..

This car is coming from a local dealer who has been known to take care of the cars he sells like a warranty type deal, not to mention a family member works there as well

thoughts? im guessing alot of you here will say stay as far away as possible, because 80K miles to some is alot... but based on prior listed conditions?
    Last edited by Bill109; 04-05-2012 at 10:03 PM.

My Cars
    '13 Golf TDI, '91 535i
    Which model is it? The v8's are known to be "leaky" when it comes to the VCG's and timing cover gaskets that can be $$ to replace because of the amount of labor involved, but being that it has 170k miles it has probably had them replaced once or maybe twice lol Be sure to check for that in the service records.

My Cars
    E92 M3, E70 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekG View Post
    Which model is it? The v8's are known to be "leaky" when it comes to the VCG's and timing cover gaskets that can be $$ to replace because of the amount of labor involved, but being that it has 170k miles it has probably had them replaced once or maybe twice lol Be sure to check for that in the service records.
    Not completely correct. The N62B44 4.4 liter has some known VCG, coolant valley and other major leak issues. The N62B48 4.8, which appeared in 2006, has been sterling, maintenance-wise- it has a vastly simpler upper- engine seal and gasket construction, and far beefier parts.

My Cars
    '13 Golf TDI, '91 535i
    Oops, didn't see the "06" part :-)

My Cars
    E92 M3, E70 X5
    On the other hand... Any car with 170K...

OP, you really need to see what's been replaced. I6? Entire coolant system. Manual? Clutch. Auto? Pan/filter and all fluid. Obviously plugs, belts, pretty much all consumables. It could be a deal for you, but tread carefully...