Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: “Project” $800 e36 325is DD/AutoX

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent

“Project” $800 e36 325is DD/AutoX

Hey guys,
    I figured I’d post this up since a lot of people enjoy checking out progress threads. It basically started as a pages document on my laptop so I didnt forget what all was done to it. Progress is quite slow, but I guess theres enough stuff to post up here to make it a half decent thread for now. There are also enough future plans to keep it going for a while.

So, the first time I saw the car was about 3 years ago. I was 14. Somehow I looked passed all of its problems, and it sparked my interest in e36’s.
    Its a 1993 Brillantrot 325is that a good friend of ours bought from a girl who thought she had blown the engine. Turns out the fan grenaded and took all the cooling hoses with it. He was planning on turning it into a track car since his son didn’t want it.

After years of it sitting around in his garage, he was contemplating parting it out. I took that as my cue to say I wanted it (which he already knew). So, last April I came home with my first Bimmer as well as my first car at the age of 15.

The day it came home

Needless to say it needed some work, but that’s what I wanted. I had another 2k saved to put towards it, and I was looking for a good learning experience. This seemed to fit the bill. It had bilstein shocks, h&r springs, z3m ssk, a horrible home made “hot” air intake, and an Active Autowerke catback. The only thing it really didnt have was door panels. The seats needed to be replaced and the headliner was sagging, but it was otherwise complete. It did have 230k on it, but it didnt run like it.

Me taking a look at the suspension

The very first thing I did was polish that oxidized paint and take care of the exterior problems. I already had everything needed to replace the missing trim, so that was done the day after we brought it home. At least now it wasnt a pink car anymore.

The corners were cracked and the kidneys were falling out, so I picked up some clears to match the tail lights and black kidney grills from Turner.

By then I had sourced seats from a member on here (forget the name) and got rid of the horrible, dried, cracked, ripped, and painted ones from before.

Practically mint m3 seats out of a '99 vert

Around the same time as the seats we had replaced all of the brake rotors, pads and sensors. Turner Motorsports sells a kit for a nice price, so we went with them. We got the upgraded street pads and fluid.

My 16th birthday was about to roll around which meant I could finally learn to drive it with my permit. In the same week I got my permit it passed inspection and I learned to drive stick in it on the way back from the DMV. It went well....though Im sure there’s quite a lot less clutch than when I first got it due to my fear of stalling it. lol

As a birthday present, my dad bought me some much needed door panels that I found on the classifieds here. We met up with Chris (VandBMdubbin) to pick them. He was awesome and threw in a metal water pump with them. We got home and immediately realized we didnt have speakers to go in the door panels. So the next weekend we were back at Chris’s picking them up along with the M3 mirrors I had spotted from the last time.

Replacing the mirrors

By that point I was taking every advantage I could to drive it. Id buy my Mom a “People” magazine to read so I could go cruise the Pine Barrens. I only had my permit so I was limited to when I could drive it.

Those dark trips home made me realize just how horrible the stock lights were, so I ordered a set of ellipsoids from umnitza.....

Exploring the roads of the Pines exposed some more problems. The smell of oil led us to discovering the valve cover gasket was shot. The right rear wheel bearing would hum once we got up over 50, and the fan clutch seemed to never disengage. It would roar like a truck. Even in 5th gear and over 60mph. I didnt think that was quite right....Sooo yet another order from Turner.

I was excited for the Valve cover job because it gave me an excuse to open the engine up and get an idea of how it was taken care of. Thankfully it looked good for a supposed 230k motor. Very little sludge on the cover and absolutely none around the cams.

The coils were also numbered and labeled, so Im still holding out hope that it has seen a refresh in the past. Especially since it passed emissions on the first try.

In August I had signed up for a Street Survival class in October. Nothing really went on between that time until I realized the valve cover was still leaking. So as I went to pick up my new iPhone the night before the event, my dad replaced it yet again. We stripped the old paint off and repainted it as well. He also wasn’t shy with the RTV. It needed to be sealed good for the next day.

The car was beat on for pretty much 12 hours straight during the street survival. We left at 6 and got home around 7. It never skipped a beat. I was now also hooked on autocross and sparked a new interest in Porsches. My instructor took me for a run in his stripped out ’89 ‘911. I loved everything about that car. The local autocross seasons were over by that point, but I was surely going to be participating in the spring.

Skidpad exercise...
    Not to self: Save up for Turner Sway bars and learn what understeer feels like! lol

After October we went through some rough times with cancer in the family. My grandmother was diagnosed not even a year after the death of my grandfather who we lost to the same disease. They were like my parents, so the BMW was put on hold. The winter was arriving anyway, and theres not much you can do to a car in NJ in the winter. We lost my grandmom in the beginning of February, but she knew how much I loved cars, as well as how badly I wanted to start autocrossing the BMW. She passed her car (’05 Hyundai Accent with 20k) on to me, so I had some reliable wheels. Needless to say I take car of that thing like it’s a Bugatti Veyron. And it actually is kind of fun to drive once you get over the lack of power.

With the assurance that I wont be out of a car when the Bimmer decides to break, I started really researching the local autocross scene. My Christmas list consisted of nothing but a bunch of rear suspension bushings and reinforcements from Turner Motorsports.... That project is still to come. Im not risking tearing out the unibody on a car with such high mileage before I start to autocross. Once that project is complete is when Ill start autocrossing.
    An oil leak popped up over the winter that looked like an oil pan gasket. We found out yesterday that thankfully it looks like its only the oil filter housing gasket; a much cheaper and less time consuming task than dealing with the oil pan. Those parts were just ordered today off of Pelican and are due in by Thursday at the latest.

We replaced the PCV hose coming from the valve cover this weekend and added a catch can. While we were diagnosing the oil filter housing we noticed just how much oil is sucked out through the valve cover and didnt really like it going back into the intake boot.

Projects to come in the “Near” Future:
    Oil filter housing gasket
    Rear suspension and subframe overhaul

Things I’d like to get to after I find myself a job:
    ECS Tuning Front suspension Level 2 refresh kit
    TMS Sway Bars
    AA Track Pipe
    Proper intake( either debaffled stock, or cosmos)

Chances are updates will be few and far between, but I just figured I’d share how things have gone. I find it amazing how so many things can change within a year. It has definitely been the learning experience I’d hoped! Theres still a lot I’d like to learn how to do though. Thanks to the help of my dad all this stuff has been possible. I’d never be able to dig in to this and fix it all myself the first time around. Now, thankfully I have some more confidence for projects like this in the future.
    Hope you guys enjoyed reading this so far. Its not as great as so many other build threads on here, and the end result is far less spectacular, but I figured I’d give it a go anyway.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by NJohc; 04-05-2012 at 12:54 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 318is Sedan
    Love the thread man,

I too am a 16 year old with a 318is but unfortunately I can't do much to mine coz of my parents and it doesn't really need anything replaced coz its a '98.
    love to see how it comes along.

My Cars
    many
    nice man keep on going. i had the same ambition when i was younger i bought my first car at 15 too haha

but you should hit up some events in englishtown
    facebook.com/TeamDEP
    teamdep.com ***Click link for New England drift schedule***

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Good read. Thanks for the post

Sent from my MB860 using BF.com

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    Thanks guys! If people would hire around here Id have some more spending money for this thing! lol I know itll only be a matter of time before the stresses of tracking it breaks something.
    nice man keep on going. i had the same ambition when i was younger i bought my first car at 15 too haha

but you should hit up some events in englishtown
    Id actually really like to give their little road course a try. The last time I took a trip up there was for the Top Fuel Dragsters last year. I think North Jersey Scca has some events there, or used to at least.
    Thanks for checking my thread out too man. Ive been following yours from the start.
    Last edited by NJohc; 03-20-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    Just a real quick update:
    Oil filter housing parts came in on Wednesday.

We got it all disassembled, cleaned up and replaced. We just need to finish putting the alternator back on, and put some oil in it.We decided just to change the oil while we were there. Im going from Castrol dino from the PO to Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic. If any more gaskets are bad I guess we'll know soon enough if what they say is true lol We dressed it up a little bit and put a coat of high temp duplicolor on it to match the valve cover.

Turns out all of the engine parts I've seen a date on so far are from '92 instead of '93. I just though it was interesting.

And of course with the good comes the bad. When I pulled the Hyundai out today to move the e36, I parked it right next to our driveway (slightly diagonal to the across the street neighbors') He drives an F-150; which today he decided to drive straight into my car. Who ever said you needed to love thy neighbor.

I would have much rather it have been the door.
    Last edited by NJohc; 03-23-2012 at 11:08 PM.

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    Long story short: Oil filter housing continued to leak. We took it apart again and added some of the Permatex "The Great Stuff". Just got home from a 40 mile test drive and it looks to be bone dry.
    Next up is the subframe overhaul...then my first auto-x! Cant wait!

My Cars
    many
    nice what are you planing for the subframe?

and whats the production date on this car? just curious
    facebook.com/TeamDEP
    teamdep.com ***Click link for New England drift schedule***

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    For the subframe I have Turner reinforcement plates and m3 bushings. I got the bushings before I knew we were doing the plates. Otherwise I would have gone with powerflex. I also have new diff bushings and rtabs. Im thinking about buying shims as well.

Production date is 1/93.

My Cars
    Too many
    Like the build, for the shims here you go: http://www.rmeuropean.com/search.aspx?keyword=093031010. They work just as well as the expensive ones.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3
    Great thread.
    I need to start some auto-x asap

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomade30 View Post
    Like the build, for the shims here you go: http://www.rmeuropean.com/search.aspx?keyword=093031010. They work just as well as the expensive ones.
    Thanks for the link. The price was the only thing holding me back with the other ones. It seemed ridiculous for what they are!
    Great thread.
    I need to start some auto-x asap
    Thanks man, It's definitely addicting. I've done it once before at a street survival course and now Im hooked lol
    Last edited by NJohc; 04-03-2012 at 10:57 PM.

My Cars
    quattro
    Great thread!

My Cars
    1995 Bmw 325is
    Awesome man, Look on my thread i started to get a look at my soon to be project. I'm 16 and from Jersey, Bout to buy a 1995 325is for 1700$ with 189k.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Nice read I enjoyed it. Keep up the good work. Nice car too.

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    Thanks guys! Hopefully next weekend will be the beginning of the subframe project. While its on the jack stands Im going to inspect the front suspension. I know that it at least had to be replaced in Nov of 02 according to the carfax accident report. Hopefully I can just get away with doing bushings.

My Cars
    M3/4/5, Civic SI
    Quote Originally Posted by NJohc View Post
    Thanks guys! Hopefully next weekend will be the beginning of the subframe project. While its on the jack stands Im going to inspect the front suspension. I know that it at least had to be replaced in Nov of 02 according to the carfax accident report. Hopefully I can just get away with doing bushings.
    Rear end sub-frame is a fun job on jack stands. I never want to do it again. Nice thread.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Wow man i wish i had some money saved up for my car! Looks good
    1993 BMW 325i. Pre-Clinton Club. Extremely Slow, Nor is it Low.

My Cars
    bmw
    I got the bushings before I knew we were doing the plates.
    Last edited by EliasFaust; 04-16-2012 at 02:14 AM.

My Cars
    1997 m3, (sold) e46 m3
    good luck with her.. nice thread..hopefully gonna start my e36 sedan turbo project thread.. i have lots of pics of the motor pull and everything..hope to see more updates.

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    Thanks guys
    Rear end sub-frame is a fun job on jack stands. I never want to do it again. Nice thread.
    Yea were not looknig forward to it. We have a friend with a lift, but its going to be a slow process. I dont want to hog his lift for a while.

My Cars
    2002 Imola Red E46 M3
    Awesome build thread. Props for being 16 and doing this stuff yourself! As far as the intake question just throw away the hot air one and throw in a stock one with a de-baffle. Spend the money elsewhere! For the most part CAI are a waste.

329097_10151144875184101_1020786818_o by boomersooner523, on Flickr
    Past:
    1995 Hellrot E36 M3: JBR LTW flywheel, TRM chip, Dinan exhaust and CAI
    1999 Cosmos E36 M3 Engine: TRM Tune, M50 manifold, B&B Exhaust, BW ASC delete, AFe CAI and LOTS of other stuff
    New: 2002 E46 M3, Imola, 6spd, KW V2, Stoptech BBK, Agency Power exhaust, Mason Engineering Strut bar

My Cars
    2003 E39
    +1, great job and great learning experience!
    2003 E39, manual, sport, debadged, full service history from new, staggered authentic 18" alpina softlines, M5 mirrors and trunk lip, 30% 3M tint, DICE silverline ipod integration, valentine one rear headrest stealth install, CDV delete, 545i short shifter + zhp shift knob, zimmerman rotors, axxis pads, custom interior (two-tone sand beige black with microsuede A pillars, oem black headliner, sandbeige 18-way adjustable comfort seats)

My Cars
    '93 325is, '05 Accent
    Thanks everyone. Started to feel something different in the front suspension yesterday. Cant tell if the fcabs decided to go all the sudden or not. I have to do my homework on how to check all that stuff when its on stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523 View Post
    Awesome build thread. Props for being 16 and doing this stuff yourself! As far as the intake question just throw away the hot air one and throw in a stock one with a de-baffle. Spend the money elsewhere! For the most part CAI are a waste.
    I definitely wouldn't have been able to do any of it without my dad showing me the ropes. Doing all of this made me a lot less timid about messing something up. Im not sure if a stock intake would fit with the catch can we fitted. As much as I don't like the cosmos design Im thinking that's my best bet fitment wise. Especially with Ellipsoids and the catch can.
    Last edited by NJohc; 04-17-2012 at 10:09 PM.

tmaxx445 is offline E38 6 Speed Club Member! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '05 M3, '03 X5, '01 740i
    Looks like a very nice first car, I too got mine a few weeks before I got my license when I was 15. It has progressed to where it is today very slowly it seems, but looking back it has not been that long. Keep up the good work and you will love the AutoXs, I know I sure do.

tmaxx445
    2001 740i / S62 Swap / 6 Speed Swap / Titanium Silver Metallic / Grey Montana Leather / M Sport / Convenience Pkg / Heated Seats / PDC / MKIV Navigation / DSP / Bluetooth TCU / Dice Mediabridge / Vavona Trim / Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Cat Delete / SAI Delete / Euro Tune / Koni Singles / H&R II Springs / Custom 3.15 25% Limited Slip Diff / Staggered OE M Parallels / 275 & 245 Firehawks / Euro City Lights / Celis Tail Lights / SunTek 70% CXP Tint

2005 M3 Coupe
    / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bluetooth / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / StreamLine Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / P0lar Tune / Koni Yellows / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / Angel Eyes / CF CSL Splitters / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

2003 4.6is X5 / Stock /

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast