Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: acetone stain on my dashboard

My Cars
    '91 318is

acetone stain on my dashboard

I was using acetone to clean off some glue from a sticker on my windshield and I guess some of it dripped onto my dashboard and now there is a white 'stain' that doesnt seem to come off with any cleaners or anything. Is this permanent?

what can I use to get rid of it, I tried dish soap, purple power, vinylex....no dice.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525iA
    Usually acetone will take dyes/paints out of most things... I think you're screwed. Pics might help!

My Cars
    1985 M635
    Acetone is really strong stuff ....... use a razor blade and then Goo Gone to get off the residue next time.
    The acetone tried to dissolve a hole thru the PVC covering on your dash. Luckily the drop evaporated before getting the job done. The surface of the PVC dash won't come back unless you either scrape or sand away the decomposed white area. This will likely leave a "spot" ..... and even though it won't be white any more, it will still be noticable.
    Suggest you consider a flexible vinyl paint like SEM Products. If you can get a good color match, you can simply paint away the white spot.
    http://semproducts.com/product-catal...gs/color-coat/
    Last edited by Ed Lyerly; 04-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    ================
    1985 M635 (gone but not forgotten)
    1994 850CSi (also gone but not forgotten)
    1985 M635 (current obsession)

My Cars
    '91 318is
    well I seemed to get it to "disappear" although its definitely not permanent. I soaked a paper towel in vinylex and left it on my dash over night, then retreated the entire dash and you wouldn't even notice it unless you knew where it was....I guess this is gonna force me to semi-detail my interior on a regular basis