Thread: gauge cluster problem?

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3 2.8 roadster

Exclamation gauge cluster problem?

Hey guys i have a 2000 bmw z3 roadster 2.8....

My problem in the beginning was that my gauges weren't lighting up at night for some reason, so i had a buddy of mine(who claimed he new bmws inside out) who tried to fix this problem.....he fixed the light problem but the thing is that now my speedometer, odometer, and gas meter all does not work.....nothing is working!

i was wondering what the problem now might be? My car shop guy thinks it might be a blown fuse....do i need a new complete gauge cluster assembly? Or is there an alternate solution...

PLease let me know what you guys think! thanks! i am currently driving not knowing how fast or how much fuel i have -______-

I called bavarian auto recycling parts and they said the part is approximately going to be around $220....i didn't know it was going to be this costly...

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    Can't you just ask your buddy who knows BMWs inside out what he thinks of the new problem?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by muz1c View Post
    Hey guys i have a 2000 bmw z3 roadster 2.8....

My problem in the beginning was that my gauges weren't lighting up at night for some reason, so i had a buddy of mine(who claimed he new bmws inside out) who tried to fix this problem.....he fixed the light problem but the thing is that now my speedometer, odometer, and gas meter all does not work.....nothing is working!

i was wondering what the problem now might be? My car shop guy thinks it might be a blown fuse....do i need a new complete gauge cluster assembly? Or is there an alternate solution...

PLease let me know what you guys think! thanks! i am currently driving not knowing how fast or how much fuel i have -______-

I called bavarian auto recycling parts and they said the part is approximately going to be around $220....i didn't know it was going to be this costly...
    Likely its just a fuse. The speedo however should not be malfunctioning.... when your buddy was fixing the lighting issue, he might have disconnected something maybe?

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2005 325XI
    u check the fuse box ? I seriously doubt all the dashboard lamps are blown unless your " friend" shorted something that is causing the problem. per Bentley wiring diagram it appears to be a 15amp fuse or a 5amp fuse, start there 1st !

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    The cause of the initial problem is the illuminated shift knob wires shorting out on the metal shifter rod. You have to disconnect those wires so it doesn't happen again and then replace the headlight pull/dimmer knob.

Not sure how your buddy fixed this issue without doing this or why it caused you more problems. Always come here first! We know all the problems. This is a super common one!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    The cause of the initial problem is the illuminated shift knob wires shorting out on the metal shifter rod. You have to disconnect those wires so it doesn't happen again and then replace the headlight pull/dimmer knob.

Not sure how your buddy fixed this issue without doing this or why it caused you more problems. Always come here first! We know all the problems. This is a super common one!
    He has an automatic car, i doubt he has an illuminated shift knob.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    He has an automatic car, i doubt he has an illuminated shift knob.
    Didn't catch that, but ok, then what I said isn't your problem.

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3 2.8 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by SNR727 View Post
    Can't you just ask your buddy who knows BMWs inside out what he thinks of the new problem?
    after he fucked it up.....i dont trust that "he knows a bmw inside out" ahaha

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Check the plugs in the back of the cluster to make sure they are clipped in properly...there is a locking mechanism that must be pushed down. Did he remove the cluster to fix the first problem?

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    The cause of the initial problem is the illuminated shift knob wires shorting out on the metal shifter rod...
    From my reading, though the illuminated shift knob is what gets many, any short in the interior lighting controlled by the dimmer switch will likely blow the switch.

Shift knob is what got mine... fortunately I found instructions on these forums and it wasn't too difficult to solder a jumper wire to bypass the dimmer. Essentially, a $0 fix.

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackM View Post
    Check the plugs in the back of the cluster to make sure they are clipped in properly...there is a locking mechanism that must be pushed down. Did he remove the cluster to fix the first problem?
    Agreed, best bet is to pull the cluster and confirm that the small plug is installed, and the locking arm is pulled up and locked.

The speed and fuel gauge work through the smaller black plug next to the larger white plug known as x-16, x-17 is the larger green plug on the other side of the cluster. If I remember correctly, the small plug would be on the left side of the cluster as you look at it from the drivers seat, when you pull it out. The three wires from this plug are brown/black, brown/red, and black/yellow.

Guess who's be rewiring a stock cluster....
    Last edited by Z3racer701; 02-14-2012 at 03:26 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3 2.8 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackM View Post
    yes he did

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by muz1c View Post
    yes he did
    Then it is very likely he forgot to connect something back properly.

My Cars
    2000 Estoril M Roadster
    In relation to the illuminated shifter knob, should I expect to see that in my 2000 M roadster? I don't have an illuminated one so I am wondering if someone did something to possibly eliminate it and it may be causing some issues w/ some electrical gremlins popping up.