Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Love Quad-Tip Exhausts! Non-M Design Idea Feedback

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L

I Love Quad-Tip Exhausts! Non-M Design Idea Feedback

Looking for feedback...

I've been tossing this idea around for a while in my head... I love quad tip exhausts on BMWs... but no room for dual mufflers on my Non-M Z3 without more extensive sheet metal work and I don't want to pay for extremely high dollar options.

I've already lost the spare tire under the car with Randy Forbes subframe kit with dual-ear diff cover... so plenty of room under there for the piping.

This design is based 2.25" piping throughout with a Solo-Performance Quantum 2.25" Muffler (QTM 2) and leaving the stock Resonator.
    http://solo-performance.com/quantum-muffler-series

Tips are 3" Straight Cut Ansa Silverline Stainless Tips (SV7809)
    http://www.ansaautomotive.com/universal-tips/

I know it will cost more to have these single tips configured... but I just haven't found existing dual tips that I like. Only tips that are close are sold by 'cyba' on e90post.com... "Single Layer Chrome Quads Straight Cut"
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281932

These show fit where existing Muffler sits

My Cars
    Z3, M5
    Cool drawings... What software?

Anyway, if you were closer, I'd sell you my M roady rear bumper and trunklid w/ a trade for your bumper...

My dilema is I WANT to keep my spare, and exhaust on 1 side... but only have a M bumper (rear) to match my wider fenders. I'd be fine w/ a stock 6cyl non-M bumper...

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Google SketchUp... Best free 3D drafting available

My Cars
    00 M '96 Z3
    Do you have any pricing for those tips. I am liking the black chrome tips for the Z3.
    2011 Z4
    2010 MB GLK 350
    2000 M Roady
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1996 Z3

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Not sure if your design will pass by the battery box without
    dropping the pipes down and then up again for the outlet (tips),
    or circling around it.
    Here are are threads dealing with Randys conversion and the
    Schmiedmann set up. I'm considering the Schmiedmann design as
    I am too far away from Randy.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ust+conversion

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...2+dual+exhaust
    Last edited by fire2; 01-27-2012 at 09:07 PM.

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    I think the pricing on the tips on e90post are $140 shipped for the single wall chrome.... $160 shipped for black chrome. Very reasonable IMO.

I'm pretty sure there is plenty of room under the battery well. Will go measure later, but have seen pics somewhere of someone who put twin straight pipes on an M44 directly over battery well

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by kojohns View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is plenty of room under the battery well. Will go measure later, but have seen pics somewhere of someone who put twin straight pipes on an M44 directly over battery well
    Don't think they will pass (underneath) without alot of configuration, and you
    need at least 1" clearance because of heat and the bottom of the well aligns up with
    where the cutout for the tip would be. Thats why Schmiedmann came up with their (funky) design.
    Last edited by fire2; 01-27-2012 at 09:33 PM.

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Yep, I stand corrected... just slid under the rear end... the pics I had seen of the Z3-M44 straight pipes right under the well must have been visible or touching the well... Putting a strait edge against the well showed there definitely wasn't enough room for the piping. Will need to wrap this around the well... That will be easy enough.

One of the key aspects of this design is that you will not be able to see the muffler can. I really can't stand the other off the shelf options because you would see the can on the left, but not on the right. Here, the can is tucked up above all piping and would not be visible. It will provide for a truly balanced "look" from the rear.
    Last edited by kojohns; 01-27-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    ///M s52
    Just run OEM M stuff?... Also basic physics, length is directly proportional to resistance, and flow will take the least path of resistance
    Last edited by ClubSport332ti; 01-27-2012 at 11:44 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW z3 M44
    ANSA sells some really nice double chrome tips, I installed them on my new exhaust set up for my m44. It consists of a high flow cat a vibrant resonator a Borla muffler and those sweet looking chrome tips.

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubSport332ti
    Just run OEM M stuff?... Also basic physics, length is directly proportional to resistance, and flow will take the least path of resistance
    Non-M Z3s were designed to have a spare tire under the right hand side. The only way to get the right hand OEM M muffler under there is to cut out the battery well / sheet metal that supports the spare tire mounting and fabricate a new rear tray... or find a donor M... That's a ton more effort... easier to trade for an M.

I agree that it will not be a completely even flow between sides according to laws of fluid/air dynamics... Haven't run the math, but should be in the neighborhood of 60% left / 40% right... It's not going to be 100%-left / 0%-right. If we want to get very detailed, could also point out that the inner tips of this design will get considerably more flow than the outer tips. Good thing exhaust gases are rarely visible.

This is definitely a vanity project :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RFrancis
    ANSA sells some really nice double chrome tips, I installed them on my new exhaust set up for my m44. It consists of a high flow cat a vibrant resonator a Borla muffler and those sweet looking chrome tips.
    Pics of your tips installed?
    Last edited by kojohns; 01-28-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    OK -- I'll be the naysayer and just say don't do it. I hate the overused line on other inquiries but if you want quad tips, get an M. Adding weight with no appreciable performance always seems foolish.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    OK -- I'll be the naysayer and just say don't do it. I hate the overused line on other inquiries but if you want quad tips, get an M. Adding weight with no appreciable performance always seems foolish.
    Just out of curiosity... Is your stance more about adding weight or being an M-poster?

The reason I ask is because I should be around 25lbs lighter than OEM with this setup (spare tire deleted and tank-built OEM muffler swapped)

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by moonvan
    That costs a fortune... This will be half that

This design also will not look unbalanced from the rear as you will not see the single muffler can on the left and no can on the right.
    Last edited by kojohns; 01-28-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Just out of curiosity... Is your stance more about adding weight or being an M-poster?

The reason I ask is because I should be around 25lbs lighter than OEM with this setup (spare tire deleted and tank-built OEM muffler swapped)
    Your response makes you look like an idiot. My car's AST 4200 DA suspension and current geometry is as developed as any on this board excepting maybe Mdmcoupe and actually weighs less than stock, as does my exhaust which is going under the knife once again. For the record, my car is #200 less than stock. Stance is a term used mostly by fast and furious crowd and I have no interest in posing like an M owner. If I want an M, I'll buy an M coupe and relegate my car back to DD status.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    easy fellas. eeeeaaasy...

The guy likes quad tips. He's asking what are the best routes keeping cost as a constant factor.

I didn't get anything in his tone that implied he was calling you a Stanceworks Kid, or that he was calling himself 'fast & furious' - My impression of the post was he was using the term 'stance' as in 'position' - so simply asking if your naysay position was based on the weight of the car, or based on the perception of a non-M trying to look like an M.

I haven't read anything in here that calls for poking the OP with an Idiot Stick.

My Cars
    has four wheels
    May be easier to just get rid of your stock muffler and get an exhaust shop to make you a fork-style rout that wraps around the spare tire area and end with dual tips on each side. E46 non-Ms have been doing this for a long time now. A good example of it stock though is the Mini Clubman. No matter the submodel they all come with the spare tire area. The twin exhaust is simply designed around it.

996TTE39M5R55

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by SNR727
    easy fellas. eeeeaaasy...

The guy likes quad tips. He's asking what are the best routes keeping cost as a constant factor.

I didn't get anything in his tone that implied he was calling you a Stanceworks Kid, or that he was calling himself 'fast & furious' - My impression of the post was he was using the term 'stance' as in 'position' - so simply asking if your naysay position was based on the weight of the car, or based on the perception of a non-M trying to look like an M.

I haven't read anything in here that calls for poking the OP with an Idiot Stick.
    Thanks, you are correct on the intent and use of word stance = position = opinion

Quote Originally Posted by TPowerdinNY
    May be easier to just get rid of your stock muffler and get an exhaust shop to make you a fork-style rout that wraps around the spare tire area and end with dual tips on each side. E46 non-Ms have been doing this for a long time now. A good example of it stock though is the Mini Clubman. No matter the submodel they all come with the spare tire area. The twin exhaust is simply designed around it.
    Yeh, wish it were that easy... check out the Eisennman pic from above... The well is not centered and must be removed, relocated to get a muffler can on the right.
    Last edited by kojohns; 01-28-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    [QUOTE=z3papa;23592455]...[QUOTE]
    I don't think his responce was supposed to be inflammatory, nor do I think it was directed at you, I think it was just a question.
    Last edited by Amuro Ray; 01-28-2012 at 03:41 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    All its about is to each his own and what an individual likes for
    a custom look no matter if M look alike or not, no matter more performance
    or not-------what is or looks foolish to one person
    may look great to others. Like I have already said I have been
    considering this for a while and I live to far from Randy to do his
    mod. so I may go with Schmiedmann route. (A copy of it) The
    mufflers are only noticeable from down low, don't think the unbalanced
    look is that much of a factor, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by moonvan View Post
    more for looks than performance but Eisenmann already makes a solution
    No Its a Schmiedamann, your link does not open up, check the links
    in the first post of this thread. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ust+conversion
    Last edited by fire2; 01-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW z3 M44

Pics of your tips installed?
    Here you go... I love them, specially since most of the m44 guys with the actual ANSA setup complain of the single pipe fart can look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    00 M '96 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by RFrancis View Post
    Here you go... I love them, specially since most of the m44 guys with the actual ANSA setup complain of the single pipe fart can look.
    Very nice

I like the look with dual tips. I will have to get a black chrome for my m44.
    2011 Z4
    2010 MB GLK 350
    2000 M Roady
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1996 Z3

My Cars
    98 Roadster 2.8L
    Quote Originally Posted by RFrancis

Nice! Thx for posting

My Cars
    1996 BMW z3 M44
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil View Post
    Very nice

I like the look with dual tips. I will have to get a black chrome for my m44.
    I'm glad you like them; I've been meaning to make a thread of my exhaust build since it was completed, but you know how things get in the way.

They're supposed to be resonated tips as well; not that it makes a big impact but I was glad to hear they also have a purpose.
    Last edited by RFrancis; 01-28-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast