Thread: Locking car with key button not working

My Cars
    01 740il, 01 740i

Locking car with key button not working

the unlock and trunk button work fine on my key but the lock button isnt,are the batteries dying? it was working when i bought the car a couple months ago but then later on it would work every now and then,a couple weeks ago it just totally stopped

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Might try to sync it. Here is one thread where Q breaks the different keys down.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1432131

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    You might want to check the health of the key's battery.

As you can see in the page from the owners manual below...a key with low voltage will cause 1 or more of 3 things:
    1. REMOTE KEY BATTERY appears in the instrument cluster display
    2. the red LED no longer lights up when buttons are pressed (or lights up weakly)
    3. it is no longer possible to LOCK the car using the remote key button

Here's another little test of the red LED that may reveal if the battery is starting to give up the ghost
    ↓↓↓↓↓

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I got the warning on the cluster when mine got low. Along these lines Q, I tried to remove the rubber pads from my old parts car key to use for my DD. Appeared to be glued down and could not get the pad part out cleanly. Fitted tightly into 'slots' in the frame part. Is this normal?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    ... Q, I tried to remove the rubber pads from my old parts car key to use for my DD. Appeared to be glued down and could not get the pad part out cleanly. Fitted tightly into 'slots' in the frame part. Is this normal?
    Yep, that is normal. In fact, you can see in the pics in my rubber key pad replacement DIY...you have to be careful when removing the pads that you don't break off reinforcement tabs that circle the opening. The reinforcement tabs prevent the rubber pads from being pushed inside the key:

(Getting the first sections of the rubber pad lifted)

(note the small infrastructure of tabs around the opening...be careful not to break too many of them off)

(the reinforcing tabs around the openings in the key go between the upper part of the rubber pad, and the base of the pad...similar to wire that is wound around a spool)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-26-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Thanks Q. I did the parts car key first so I could check it out. I think I would have done ok if the flat areas were not stuck down. Only broke a few of those tabs but could not get the pad out in one piece. The keys were almost new so thought I could use the pads. Will just order new ones.

Sorry for the thread jack OP.

My Cars
    01 740il, 01 740i
    thnx i will replace the batteries and see if it works,no prob mayor