Thread: Gadanga

My Cars
    2001 525i M Sport Wagon

Gadanga

Hi guys.

Have been browsing the forums for a couple of weeks now, just as a guest; figured I might as well sign up and poke my nose in officially.

My name is Chris, but everyone has called me Vard for ten years, so Vard I might's well be here.

23, living near Swindon in Wilts, UK. In automotive terms, my forte is Rovers (yeah yeah, I know, heard it all before), and particularly turbocharged Rovers. I currently own two 820 Vitesse fastbacks, and a 420 GSi Turbo.

However, I've also got a poorly 530i V8 sitting outside my driveway at the moment. Bought as a project, with two intentions in mind - ostensibly it was bought for a banger rally next August - it fit our criteria of big inside, big(ish) engine, RWD and manual, with a kicker that it'll be me beating my friend to the V8, after he beat me to the V6 with his new Reliant Scimitar GTE.

However, in my mind at least, once it's back from the rally, it's purpose will be drifting.

It's still here because when Alex brought it up from Devon last weekend (ostensibly for him to have a weekend up here, realistically for me to day insure it and go have a bit of a thrash about on a big empty bit of tarmac), it was having rough running and stalling issues and was significantly down on power, and was also overpressurising the coolant system.

I was intending to drive it Saturday and get a first hand impression of it, instead of investigating on Alex's descriptions on Sunday; but it became somewhat obvious why when it blew the stat housing into two pieces and pumped some lovely oily coolant everywhere.

Whilst I'm almost entirely a newbie to BMWs (so engine codes are swimming, jumbled around in my head like numbersoup) the threads I've been browsing are M60B30 based, and I'm following Antrieb's thread on Big Red at the moment.

However, long term Alex and I are interested in going M62B44, so I've also been following a couple of threads on that topic.

Overall I probably will be lurking more than posting - I just wanted to make sure I didn't find my account deleted because I wasn't posting.

Oh. Also I can't seem to find a general/off topic/newbies section, so if this is in the wrong section, Mods, please feel free to move it - just point me at where it's gone; I've not really got the figure of the layout of the forums yet.

So hullo to all!

Vard.
    Last edited by Vard66; 12-06-2011 at 10:47 PM.

My Cars
    1993 530i E34 Touring
    Fancy seeing you here Vard...! :P Well, it would be rude of me to not also put in an appearance to say "hello".

My name is Alex, I'm from Devon in the UK, and own a variety of cars. A few Rovers, three Jags, and this E34, which is for all intents and purposes a large grey pressure cooker with a decent stereo.

There is a wealth of information on this site and I look forward to getting involved.

Alex.

My Cars
    WagonR
    Quote Originally Posted by Vard66 View Post
    Hi guys.

Have been browsing the forums for a couple of weeks now, just as a guest; figured I might as well sign up and poke my nose in officially.

My name is Chris, but everyone has called me Vard for ten years, so Vard I might's well be here.

23, living near Swindon in Wilts, UK. In automotive terms, my forte is Rovers (yeah yeah, I know, heard it all before), and particularly turbocharged Rovers. I currently own two 820 Vitesse fastbacks, and a 420 GSi Turbo.

However, I've also got a poorly 530i V8 sitting outside my driveway at the moment. Bought as a project, with two intentions in mind - ostensibly it was bought for a banger rally next August - it fit our criteria of big inside, big(ish) engine, RWD and manual, with a kicker that it'll be me beating my friend to the V8, after he beat me to the V6 with his new Reliant Scimitar GTE.

However, in my mind at least, once it's back from the rally, it's purpose will be drifting.

It's still here because when Alex brought it up from Devon last weekend (ostensibly for him to have a weekend up here, realistically for me to day insure it and go have a bit of a thrash about on a big empty bit of tarmac), it was having rough running and stalling issues and was significantly down on power, and was also overpressurising the coolant system.

I was intending to drive it Saturday and get a first hand impression of it, instead of investigating on Alex's descriptions on Sunday; but it became somewhat obvious why when it blew the stat housing into two pieces and pumped some lovely oily coolant everywhere.

Whilst I'm almost entirely a newbie to BMWs (so engine codes are swimming, jumbled around in my head like numbersoup) the threads I've been browsing are M60B30 based, and I'm following Antrieb's thread on Big Red at the moment.

However, long term Alex and I are interested in going M62B44, so I've also been following a couple of threads on that topic.

Overall I probably will be lurking more than posting - I just wanted to make sure I didn't find my account deleted because I wasn't posting.

Oh. Also I can't seem to find a general/off topic/newbies section, so if this is in the wrong section, Mods, please feel free to move it - just point me at where it's gone; I've not really got the figure of the layout of the forums yet.

So hullo to all!

Vard.
    thanks dear for share the information..

My Cars
    74 2002Lux, 2002 M Roadst
    Welcome,
    Spent 2.5 years assigned to the Army Air Corps Center, Middle Wallop, Stockbridge, Hants. US Army exchange Instructor Pilot (A2QHI) flying Lynx and Gazelle. Used to overfly Swindon on the way to Scotland, and the Snowdonia mountain flying area, used the test track at the Honda plant there as an air check point. Good days.
    Earl
    74 2002Lux
    02 M Roadster
    72 Volvo 1800ES
    Last edited by emyers; 12-08-2011 at 05:25 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525i M Sport Wagon
    Picked up my ZXR from Middle Wallop, lovely area, beautiful roads!

Now, to business.

Around here, my local factors seem to struggle for parts for the M60, and whilst I am good friends with a Tech in my local Lovetts/BMW/Mini and could get them on discount, I'm still sure dealership part cost will be heroic compared to other sources.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for good part suppliers for BMWs, online or in my local area?

My Cars
    2001 525i M Sport Wagon
    Ah, seems fitting I bump this rather than create a new thread, as apparently I did post in this forum.

I'm browsing again because I'm now not a Rover owner, not a Volvo owner (after two years with a manual 850R wagon), and I've moved on from my other Teutonic wagon;

DSC01300.jpg
    DSC01324.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

and on Saturday traveled halfway across the country to Suffolk to look at and subsequently buy this;

Maybe a few of you spotted it on eBay. '01 525i M Sport Manual. Rather nice, but a few little niggles to sort out to make it aesthetically perfect. Missing trim, little rattles, faded lights, etc. So I'll have a myriad of questions on little things over the next few months I suspect, be warned guys!

*Edit* - Not sure what's going on with the photo sizes there guys, and I can't figure out how to remove the two attached thumbnails.

My bad.

Vard.
    Attached Images Attached Images