Thread: ABS Light and Speedometer doesnt work.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i

ABS Light and Speedometer doesnt work.

Hi guys. I have a 2003 325i. My ABS light came on and my Speedometer doesnt work. Im pretty sure they are related. Any ideas???

My Cars
    2004 e46 Sedan
    it is a wheel speed sensor. each wheel has one. you will need to pull the abs codes with something like a snapon modis scan tool.
    04 325i e46 - 77k miles 5MT Black on Black Leather

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323CI
    I have the same issue however my brake light is on as well. I was told by a few people that this is caused by a faulty abs module or some module, not too sure. Sorry to invade on the post but I never got a direct answer to my problem.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Any idea where they are on the car? Do i have to replace or can I clean them? Also any ideas of a DIY

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod19020 View Post
    Hi guys. I have a 2003 325i. My ABS light came on and my Speedometer doesnt work. Im pretty sure they are related. Any ideas???
    Mine to speedometer, odometer and mpg and ABS + Traction. They told me its the rear wheel sensors, had them both changed still not resolved.

My Cars
    2004 e46 Sedan
    the sensors are found at each wheel hub on the inside, you'll see it bolted to the hub pointed towards what looks like a gear. Each notch on the gear causes the sensor to pulse to give a reading of it's speed. Each gear has the same number of teeth so that it can read each wheels individual speed. It's part of how it determines which wheel is loosing grip, locked up in panic braking, ect....

Red part is the sensor as it's located on the driver's rear of an e46, it'll be similarly located on the other wheels
    04 325i e46 - 77k miles 5MT Black on Black Leather

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    The drivers side rear wheel speed sensor is responsible for your speedometer and your odometer. Ask me how I know...

2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon | BC Racing Coils | VMR VB3's | Coby Wheel |
    (I Loan Valve Adjustment Tools! PM me...)

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by 328ci906 View Post
    The drivers side rear wheel speed sensor is responsible for your speedometer and your odometer. Ask me how I know...
    I changed both back sensors and yet still the speedometer doesn't work. I did a cluster test by holding down the reset button. All the gauges went up and functioning 100% but the speedometer, abs, odometer and mpg is not registering for some reason, do you know what else could it be. I even checked the back cables for the cluster...

I dont get it.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i

Fixed it

I finally got to jacking the car up this morning. After getting the wheel off i looked where the Wheel speed sensor was located and noticed something off. By off i mean 2 wires cut and tucked away. it looked like the wires broke a while back and the person who fixed it did a crappy job. I used Butt splices and repaired the wires. And Voila it worked.

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwmpower88 View Post
    I changed both back sensors and yet still the speedometer doesn't work. I did a cluster test by holding down the reset button. All the gauges went up and functioning 100% but the speedometer, abs, odometer and mpg is not registering for some reason, do you know what else could it be. I even checked the back cables for the cluster...

I dont get it.
    Did you use OEM Sensors?? Only buy BMW or ATE branded sensors, some people have reported trouble using off branded sensors. For some reason our cars just refuse to recognize them sometimes.

2003 ///M3 6spd Jet Black/Cinnamon | BC Racing Coils | VMR VB3's | Coby Wheel |
    (I Loan Valve Adjustment Tools! PM me...)

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by 328ci906 View Post
    Did you use OEM Sensors?? Only buy BMW or ATE branded sensors, some people have reported trouble using off branded sensors. For some reason our cars just refuse to recognize them sometimes.
    No, I didnt get the ATE or OEM, I guess thats why. But was brand new, still doesn't make sense why they don't work.