Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a wind deflector

My Cars
    04 M3 Vert

Got a wind deflector

Got a wind deflector on CL yesterday for $100. The guy had actually had it listed for about a month with no takers. Definitely a great item to have for the drop top.

My Cars
    1998 328iC
    What brand?

Post some pics if you can.
    Current BMWs
    E36 328i Convertible in Orient Blue

Previous BMWs - E46 318i Touring (2003) *sold*, E36 325iC Boston Green/Tan/Black top (1995) *sold*, E39 523i SE Nautilus Blue/Sand Beige (1998) *sold*, E36 325i SE Auto Vulcan Grey/Black Cloth (1991) *sold*, E30 325i Blue/Grey Cloth (1988) *sold*

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    OEM?
    That's one hell of a deal!

My Cars
    04 M3 Vert
    Looks to be OEM, has a BMW part # on it.

Last edited by ryanhoelzer; 10-14-2011 at 01:08 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Do any of the wind deflectors that fit our cars also stow easily in the trunk?

My Cars
    04 M3 Vert
    Don't think so. I've read some stuff that says the E46 one breaks down.

I pretty much never have anyone in my back seat. I think I'll pretty much leave it in when the top's up.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    I leave mine on all the time. The OEM deflector is made to fit the trunk. They do fit, but it pretty much has to be empty.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    04 M3 Vert
    I don't think I ever would have tried to put it in the trunk, just seems like it should be too big.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Both fit in the trunk (A4 and BMW OEM) but the A4 top works better to me since it folding in half.
    I prefer to keep it attached and fold the storage bag in the trunk so I don't lose much room.

My Cars
    1993 740i
    It's definitely a tight fit in the trunk but it does fit.

You can compress the spring loaded pins that fit into the holes on the rear side panel and they will stay in a 'retracted' position that makes it easier to fit it in the trunk.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    You guys have given me a Jones for a wind deflector. I found on in my area on CraigsList. Mrs. JD will like it, I think. And you know the drill, if the Mrs. aint happy, aint nobody happy. The corollary is, if the Mrs. is happy...

Does the wind deflector have some sort of lock that holds it up?

I bought an official BMW wind deflector, and it makes a clicking noise on the hinge on one side, but there is nothing that makes it stay up. The horizontal section has clips that catch underneath where the lid closes, and pins that fit into the holes of the seat belt guides. But the vertical section has nothing to make it stay vertical. Should there be any sort of locking mechanism so it stays up, or does it stay up by the wind pushing against it?
    Last edited by JDStrickland; 10-17-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    04 M3 Vert
    Kind of hard to describe, I might have to take a picture.

When I got mine it was closed and I was scared to open it because it was taking quite a bit of muscle to make it open.

On the ends where it hinges there is a plastic cover maybe 1/3 of a full circle. Under it are kind of a spring and bearing that goes into a notch to make it stay in place. You should be able to turn those covers and see if the guts are missing or something.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Those covers turn to open? Good to know, I would have pryed on them. Murphy's Law says that when you have a 50/50 chance of doing it right, the odds are 90 to 1 you will do it wrong first.

My Cars
    04 M3 Vert
    Actually one side was out of place so I got a look at how it worked without taking it apart myself. I was looking for a button or something to release it.

Just did some searching and it looks like some of the newer ones and third party ones don't lock. Some people say they stay up fine, others modified them to lock up.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...+deflector+mod

My Cars
    '94 325ic
    I received one of those when I purchased my car -- I sold it on Ebay and bought parts that I really needed. That thing just breaks the plastic on the sides and put a hole in the seat. Of course the previous owner kept it in the back seat -- not in the trunk.
    Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Do any of the wind deflectors that fit our cars also stow easily in the trunk?
    I have the Raceland Wind Deflector and it fits into the Trunk, not that there is much need to take it off unless you are hauling stuff like I did when I bought 4 new tires and wheels for the winter.

I picked up some Blizzaks and some real neat looking Wheels from discount Tires for 95

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/whe...C1997&pc=23566

I drive the vert with the top down and was around 28 degrees this morn and with the windows up and the windscreen deflector, heated seats and the heat blaring it was real comfortable inside while driving.
    Smile Make My Day

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Please accept my apologies, I talked about the clicking noise, but never told you what I did to fix it.

Turns out, the covers simply pry straight off. No big deal. They do have a post down the center that also grabs something. This post is the actual hinge pivot for the screen.

Inside the cover, there is a spring and a ball-bearing. Both of my ball bearings are missing, and the springs are broken. The springs are sorta like those in a ball point pin, only way stronger. The spring -- one on each side -- pushes the ball into a dent to hold the screen either raised or lowered. Without the springs and balls, the screen stays up on the freeway because of the wind whipping over the top of the car and curling around into the back of your head, which is why you want the screen.

At less than freeway speeds, the screen can blow over with a loud bang, so you want to do something to hold the screen in the desired position. (The desired position is either raised or lowered, noplace in between.)

I looked my screen over closely, and was inspired by the link somebody posted on how to fix the same problem for an E46 wind screen. The E36 screen is different, but the same method of repair can be done. I drilled a suitable hole in the driver side hinge and put a pin in place. I have to lift the base section of the screen to clear the side of the car so I can pull the pin out, but the upside of this is that the pin cannot fall out because it is captivated by the side of the car. I lift the bottom of the screen, pull the pin out, raise or lower the screen as desired, then put the pin back in. The screen is locked up or down. Not as convenient as the springs and ball bearings, but a very workable solution.

I'm gonna try some velcro -- the loop side -- as a cushion to see if I can reduce the rattle. I'll place a small piece on the frame of the bottom screen, the horizontal section, in an area where the section that can be folded up of down comes to rest. I'll also put a small pad on the tabs that fit under the storage lid so the screen is held more firmly. Perhaps it will be almost silent with 4 small pieces of velcro loops.

My Cars
    1994 bmw 318ic
    Does this help with the fact that you cant tint the rear windshield?

[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    The prices are coming down now since the E36 is getting old. The stock BMW is still $150 so $100 is a bargain. Audi A4 windscreens are now sub $100 with some patience.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!

My Cars
    1995 318ic cab
    I am keeping my eye out for one of these. Thanks for all the info guys!

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible
    I just got an AUdi one off of CL for $60, and it really helps with the wind. I like that it folds in half twice so it can easily fit in the trunk.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it would help a little for letting sun in but not that much. When I had my top replaced last summer I had the shop install a plastic window that was died to be a darkened.

FullSizeRender.jpg

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2013 X5
    I've been wondering about adding one of these deflectors.
    Good to know the Audi one fits as well. Gotta love these forums

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    If any one of you feel adventurous you can also buy a BMW OEM Paul Klee Edition wind deflector. It's a genuine BMW product but only 2,500 were made.

It'll cost more but think it looks rather nice on dark colored cars.

Jon
    Last edited by Baby ///M3; 01-06-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    '95 325i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby ///M3 View Post
    If any one of you feel adventurous you can also buy a BMW OEM Paul Klee Edition wind deflector. It's a genuine BMW product but only 2,500 were made.

It'll cost more but think it looks rather nice on dark colored cars.

Jon
    Wow I've never seen that before! Pretty cool haha how much more do these usually go for?
    '95 325i Convertible MT Montreal Blue on Tan Mods: Vibrant Catback, 3.91 LSD, MarkD Tune, Dinan Carbon CAI, Dinan Brace, HSD Coils, ZF Swap, S52 Clutch & Flywheel, Dension GBLx, MFL, Driver
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mtlblaue36/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast