Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BMW Technician Starting Pay?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    +1

Believe me 02325, Eric was not doing his job right, at BoM. I get much more time here for warranty work. I can usually squeeze .7-.8 from a bulb under warranty if it's the only line on the ticket. .2 for DIS test, .4 for test plan, and .1-.2 depending which bulb. Every check engine light or warning light I start out with at least .6 for DIS test and at least one test plan. Then you can get another .3 if there's a second test plan, so sometimes you can start out with almost an hour before even touching the car. You know that never happened at BoM.

Next Post:
    Yeah, that's definately wrong. Now you have to have the correct punch times to back it up. First run .2. That's the DIS test. Every DIS test is .2. Second run a solid block of .4. Must be exactly .4 or more because it's a work time. The first test plan can get .4. The second test plan (like for another line or complaint, or subsequent test plan) can get .3. Then the actual repair. So if claimed properly, a bulb should be .2 + .4 + whatever the bulb is, like .1 or .2. But you gotta have good stories, and punch times to match. This would be my exact story for a bulb: "Performed DIS test. Fault stored for brake light bulb. Performed test plan B63**_*****. WT for test plan. Found brake light bulb inop on left, replaced left brake light bulb". And I would get .7 or .8 for it. But obviously you have to actually do the DIS test and test plan because BMW will look for it in the FASTA data.
    Found this thread today goofing around on the web, I chose to resurrect it simply due to the above two posts. Knowing how to claim in a BMW dealership is The Difference between 35 hours a week and 55 hours a week. You have to tackle each and every job, no matter how simple, as a full on diagnostic process. The above two posts are golden advice for anyone who works in a dealership.

To make this relevant, I'll paraphrase my story: Went to college, graduated with Marketing. Worked in Seattle in said field, didn't care for it. Went to work for HP doing sales, killed it making six figures, hated life. Went to work for the old man learning how to work on cars, LOVED it. Went to UTI and STEP, LOVED IT. Went to work for a dealership that had the right fit for me. It's pretty good, and the people are great in all levels. I make a great living and love what I do. That said, I don't care for the flat rate system. I feel like it hinders the proper diagnostic process with time always hanging over your head pushing you to go faster than you would like. That kind of stress causes mistakes and carelessness, which are not my style at all.

My advise for working in a dealership? Learn how to do it right and give it a shot. If you don't like the dealership there are plenty of options out there for getting paid to do what you love.

I am a
    BMW STEP Graduate
    BMW Level 1 Tech

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    sorry to pop in late in the game, but i am looking at a program that says after i spend 3 years in school, i will have 8 "factory credentials" and be a level three(?) technician. i am trying to have being a mechanic be my lifelong career, but will be 26 by the time i am done with training. what are the pay scales for the various levels, and what are factory credentials?
    Last edited by cardoc80plus; 08-08-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typos
    "Adversity introduces a man to himself" -Albert Einstein
    95 525i "Cecania"

My Cars
    Landrover
    Quote Originally Posted by cardoc80plus View Post
    sorry to pop in late in the game, but i am looking at a program that says after i spend 3 years in school, i will have 8 "factory credentials" and be a level three(?) technician. i am trying to have being a mechanic be my lifelong career, but will be 26 by the time i am done with training. what are the pay scales for the various levels, and what are factory credentials?
    There Are 4 levels. Level 4 being lowest and 1 being highest. Generally the fastest way to 1 takes 5+ years. Depends on a lot of skill and experience factors. Fastest way is through BMW step program. A basic tech generally is $12 to $15hr in most areas. Pay goes up to $30+ depending on skill time in field Etc. I would say to expect something straight out of school depending on area your living of $15 to $20. Also remember amount of work you have has as much to do with income as rate an hour. If you are dedicated and learn you can make $80k+ realistically and $100k+ if you play your cards right over your career.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    I'm not sure how many techs have hit over 100k... One guy in 15 years got it but he was there 7-7.... Not much left in life after working a shift like that. Most L1 techs at our shop makes between 100-160ish. But you need to have good advisors that can sell estimates. If you have crappy advisors I couldn't see any master tech making that cheese on warranty work... Not even using all the shortcuts in the world.
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    so as it seems, i need to do steps, finish that contract, then get as far from a dealership as i can if intend to actually work on the damn things and still be treated like a human. hmmm. but on the same note 80-100k a year is a very comfortable salary, even if i get a family. I am doing my damnedest to get into UTI and do the STEPS program, simply because the complexity of the modern BMW's intruigues me, and i wan to see if i can get to the standards set by a luxury brand. NTM ya know, Bimmer! I've spent the last 5-7 years turning wrenchs on lawn mowers, old chevy's and doing basic maintence on just about every type of car you can imagine; except bmw. So at the end of the day, i guess my only question is this: Being that the UTI portion of my training would be covered by VocRehab (injured/disabled/medically retired service members benefit) and the STEPS would be covered by BMW, IS IT WORTH IT?
    "Adversity introduces a man to himself" -Albert Einstein
    95 525i "Cecania"

My Cars
    Landrover
    I wouldn't say working for a franchise dealership is bad. Look make yourself valuable and you will be treated well. Act like it's a J O B and they will treat you the same. That's anywhere. That being said yes there are better dealers than others. ..... STEP is not easy to get into. You have to be willing to move. You must be at the top of your class at UTI. As well other things.... I consider working for BMW as a hobby I get to do for a living. Working on commission and the complexity of warranty make it a lot less enjoyable but overall I made a great choice.

My Cars
    There is nothing wrong with working at a dealer. Hell, we have it better than most independent shops in my opinion. In the right market, you can make 150k.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2010 Toyota Corolla
    Maybe a little off topic here, but does anyone here work in the Knoxville or Nashvllle, TN area? BMW dealership that is.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungsu View Post
    Maybe a little off topic here, but does anyone here work in the Knoxville or Nashvllle, TN area? BMW dealership that is.
    Not a little off, completely off.. Maybe create your own thread might be better for you.
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is coupe
    Also, as far as I know. STEP no longer offers level 1 training. I was in the last class. It is now a 16 week level 3 right above level 2 course. They are trying to get more techs in the field right now. I graduated in March. To get in, I had to have a high GPA, damn near perfect attendance, pass a 100 question ASE style test, 2 aptitude tests, and another test. And that was to just get an interview to qualify for the class. Then 6 months of hell! School from 6:30-1pm work from 1:30-7pm (worked close to school), then online testing, homework, and studying for 3-4 hours a night.
    92 325is S50 swapped... More to follow
    BMW STEPchild- Level 1 technition

My Cars
    e92 335i N54
    Just thought I would share my experience. I attended UTI when I was 19 no knowledge at all on working on cars, while at UTI I worked at a friends performance shop. I did very very very simple things. Finished UTI core and worked at another friends shop. Things didn't work out as planned and I left. I didn't want to be a lube tech, so i decided in going back to school. I attended BMW FastTrack, simply because STEP was too much time for me. I finished FastTrack as a level 4 technician missing 1 training class to be a level 3. I had various job offers in South Florida and ended up in Miami. I started off at $19 an hour. They put me with a level 1 for 3 months. After 3 months, I was sent to the last class i needed to be a level 3. Long story short, I didn't like Miami (the city.) I was there for about 8 months I think and left making $22.50. Got hired at another dealer in South Florida at $23 an hour and after 6 months I'm at $24 an hour. These two dealerships are completely different in terms of warranty, cp and extended warranty tickets. Each has good and bad. I love my job I'm 23 now and I make a very comfortable living. Like some guys have said above, if you know how to write good stories and run the proper punches you can get paid pretty damn good. I work 8-5, take my hour lunch break and have hit 110+ hours multiple times in a pay period (bi-weekly) in my first year with very minimal comebacks that usually have nothing to do with my repairs. Most techs are extremely helpful, and at my current dealership we have amazing shop foremans. As long as you don't have a cocky attitude and shit someones always willing to help.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Well being in a dealership isn't all that bad. I went through bmw step and started of at 22/hr with moving expense paid for. Then I got bump to 25/hr after a year and half. My first year made about 48000 decent enough for first year. So now I'm over 30/hr and making 230+ hours a month. I will say that it does take alot of time and effort in this industry but you can make it work. But yes techs are not coming out as level 1 anymore so I'm not sure how that will all turn out for the new comers.

My Cars
    Honda Civic
    This thread gave me alot of needed insight on this career choice, Its what you make of it I learned, and I plan on making it big!

Also if anyone else can share the story of how they started in pay and how long it took to increase in pay hopefully to the six figure income, and in how much time.

My Cars
    Tech school at local community college for a year and a half. Graduated with honors, top of my class. Started at a BMW dealer as an apprentice making $12/hr in Montgomery, AL. After 3 months, and a few BMW training classes, moved to $14.50/hr as a stardard flat rate tech. After about 6 months or so, and a few more classes, they gave me $17.50/hr. I was probably a level 3 at this point. Our dealer was small, and BMW requires a certain number of level 1, 2, 3, etc, so they sent me to a lot of classes to get me to move up levels quickly. After that it was maybe a dollar or so a year. I topped out at $21/hr as a level 1 tech. I was the second highest paid guy, and the guy above me was making $22/hr. I was on track to make $75-80k, and this was 5 years in. Got tired of Montgomery, as I knew there was more money to be made in a better market like Atlanta. Started in Atlanta at $23.50, after 3-6 months of proving I was as good as I told them I was, I got $26. I made $100k the first year. But keep in mind I bust my ass more than most. I don't work extended hours, but you have to be fast, and still produce quality work, good CSI score, etc.

So I hit the 100k mark after about 6 years in the business. But that was with a shit ton of hard work, some good luck, and some natural talent. Not everyone can do what I do.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123