Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Z3 Production Numbers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Murphy, NC
    Posts
    796
    My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster

    Z3 Production Numbers

    After an interaction with an idiot car salesman over the fair-market-value of a 96 Ford F-150 in which we debated the merits of various Blue Book valuations (he was pricing it at NADA levels and I was arguing for fair-market-value) I decided to look up numbers for the Z3.

    This was all based upon the argument that his pricing was ridiculous and that the only reason I paid near NADA pricing for the Z was because of its relatively low production numbers and the fact that I lived in a seller's market at the time (Atlanta).

    I found a pdf of worldwide production numbers on a Belgian site and thought that it would be great in a database or spreadsheet so that they could be sliced and diced any number of ways.

    I know this is probably a stupid question, but before I transcribe all the info, is anyone interested in something like this? A database makes perfect sense and the data could be exported to a spreadsheet from there...
    Last edited by dkindig; 08-25-2011 at 07:16 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    777
    My Cars
    z3
    I'm sure many people would like to have access to it.
    And Z3's usually sell for higher than their KBB.
    While KBB and Nada both say I should get 4 grand for my car, I see ones like it going for 6-8 all the time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sunny CA
    Posts
    153
    My Cars
    99 Z3 Coupe
    I'd love to see it, particularly if it differentiates between M/non-M models.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Clovis, Ca
    Posts
    258
    My Cars
    2011 550i, 2000 M Rdstr
    I would be interested in seeing, always good to know this type of info

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Murphy, NC
    Posts
    796
    My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by 45guy View Post
    I'd love to see it, particularly if it differentiates between M/non-M models.
    Okay, I'll do it.

    Data contains VIN Range, Roadster/Coupe, Displacement, Engine Type, EUR/USA, Production Date Range and Total Produced.

    Once in a database/spreadsheet, data can be tallied anyway you want it.

    For M data, you could total based on engine type = S52 and S54 and location = USA for total US delivery. For total M production worldwide you could total based on displacement, or engine type = S50 and S52 and S54, and drop the location filter.
    Last edited by dkindig; 08-25-2011 at 08:59 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Havertown, PA
    Posts
    4,106
    My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    This sounds pretty familiar... didn't wildag do something similar? Maybe it was M only?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newark, DE
    Posts
    669
    My Cars
    2002 Z3, Pathfinder(R50)
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    This sounds pretty familiar... didn't wildag do something similar? Maybe it was M only?

    Yes, someone did M only.

    I am very interested in the non-M data, dkindig.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Havertown, PA
    Posts
    4,106
    My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Got it... thanks for the reminder.

    I think any resources available for these cars help, so go for it! It would be especially helpful when people are parting cars out.... much easier to determine compatibility.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Left Coast Cali
    Posts
    1,484
    My Cars
    Z3's...
    I believe that there are issues with your original source for your data. This is second hand and I don't know the details. Maybe a Josh can iluminate these issues.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    4,095
    My Cars
    BMWs: 0; MINIs: 1
    If that's the simple color-coded spreadsheet that I think it is, the data is full of assumptions that are not always true. Post the link, if it's the one I think it is, then I'll point out some of the issues.
    '99 Z3 2.8 Coupe - SCCA ITR race car [Whoops, sold it! Now coupeless.]
    '03 540iT M-Sport - the daily driver (now with 6-speed!) [Damn, sold that too!]
    '04 Suburban 2500 8.1L - ultimate tow vehicle
    '73 Volvo 1800ES - orange. [sold]
    '16 MINI Clubman Cooper S

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Murphy, NC
    Posts
    796
    My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    If that's the simple color-coded spreadsheet that I think it is, the data is full of assumptions that are not always true. Post the link, if it's the one I think it is, then I'll point out some of the issues.
    Yes, it is...

    http://users.skynet.be/bmwz4/ZZZ/pdf/ZZZ_Vin_alfa.pdf

    I would love to get your feedback. If there's anything that I can research and correct in the process, that would be great. I wasn't going to vouch for 100% accuracy anyway given that it's an unknown source, but at least I can throw up a way to crunch the numbers that are there any way you want to...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    4,095
    My Cars
    BMWs: 0; MINIs: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dkindig View Post
    http://users.skynet.be/bmwz4/ZZZ/pdf/ZZZ_Vin_alfa.pdf

    I would love to get your feedback. If there's anything that I can research and correct in the process, that would be great.
    Best example that's near and dear to people on this forum:

    This spreadsheet assumes that the entire range of LK60000 to LK61339 are all US-spec S54 M Coupes, therefore, there are 1340 of them. Those are in fact the right starting and ending VINs, but it's a bogus assumption that every number inbetween was a real car.

    In fact, on those cars, when the '02 showed up, the numbering restarted at LK61000, and we all know that there are far fewer US-spec S54 Coupes, only about half that number.

    Another example: it assumes that all of LG06000 to LG14047 were Euro-spec 2.8 Coupes, 8000+ cars. No way. In any case, I know that's not true ... at least LG12006 to LG12286 were US-spec 2.8 Coupes with auto transmissions. I don't what the truth is for the rest of that range.

    I've never analyzed any of the roadster ranges on that list, but I'd think it's highly likely that there are lots of other similar mistakes.
    Last edited by JoshS; 08-26-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    '99 Z3 2.8 Coupe - SCCA ITR race car [Whoops, sold it! Now coupeless.]
    '03 540iT M-Sport - the daily driver (now with 6-speed!) [Damn, sold that too!]
    '04 Suburban 2500 8.1L - ultimate tow vehicle
    '73 Volvo 1800ES - orange. [sold]
    '16 MINI Clubman Cooper S

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Burlington/Freehold NJ
    Posts
    11,094
    My Cars
    Z3, 528i, M5, X5, Jetta
    I have some info I will try to post up later today.

    Here are some numbers I have:

    Z3 1.8:
    1995 - 1,248
    1996 - 11,890
    1997 - 10,384
    1998 - 7,830
    1999 - 7,234
    2000 - 7,385
    2001 - 7,609
    2002 - 2,511

    Z3 1.9:
    1995 - 818
    1996 - 32,716
    1997 - 27,137
    1998 - 15,392
    1999 - 1,902

    Z3 2.0:
    1998 - 9
    1999 - 8,908
    2000 - 5,699

    Z3 2.2:
    2000 - 2,081
    2001 - 16,326
    2002 - 2,645

    Z3 2.8:
    1996 - 1,427
    1997 - 21,302
    1998 - 20,006
    1999 - 21,375
    2000 - 8,779

    Z3 3.0:
    1999 - 12
    2000 - 9,969
    2001 - 6,240
    2002 - 2,566

    Z3 2.8 Coupé:
    1997 - 4
    1998 - 160
    1999 - 3,451
    2000 - 3,282
    2001 - 774

    Z3 3.0 Coupé:
    1999 - 4
    2000 - 1,383
    2001 - 1,775
    2002 - 691

    Oddly enough no figures are listed for 2.3 models or 2.5 models.
    Last edited by amancuso; 08-26-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1999 528i - Titanium Silver over Silverstone/Black Leather, Sport
    2000 Z3 2.3 -Topaz Blue over Sand Beige, Sport
    2003 M5 - Imola Red over Imola Red/Black, Sport
    2004 X5 4.8is - Estoril Blue/Black

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Burlington/Freehold NJ
    Posts
    11,094
    My Cars
    Z3, 528i, M5, X5, Jetta
    Here is a document that is posted on one of the more popular websites, it might help give you more info.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1999 528i - Titanium Silver over Silverstone/Black Leather, Sport
    2000 Z3 2.3 -Topaz Blue over Sand Beige, Sport
    2003 M5 - Imola Red over Imola Red/Black, Sport
    2004 X5 4.8is - Estoril Blue/Black

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    4,095
    My Cars
    BMWs: 0; MINIs: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Here is a document that is posted on one of the more popular websites, it might help give you more info.
    That's how this thread started. That document is full of bad assumptions though.
    '99 Z3 2.8 Coupe - SCCA ITR race car [Whoops, sold it! Now coupeless.]
    '03 540iT M-Sport - the daily driver (now with 6-speed!) [Damn, sold that too!]
    '04 Suburban 2500 8.1L - ultimate tow vehicle
    '73 Volvo 1800ES - orange. [sold]
    '16 MINI Clubman Cooper S

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Burlington/Freehold NJ
    Posts
    11,094
    My Cars
    Z3, 528i, M5, X5, Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    That's how this thread started. That document is full of bad assumptions though.
    gotcha...
    1999 528i - Titanium Silver over Silverstone/Black Leather, Sport
    2000 Z3 2.3 -Topaz Blue over Sand Beige, Sport
    2003 M5 - Imola Red over Imola Red/Black, Sport
    2004 X5 4.8is - Estoril Blue/Black

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    767
    My Cars
    96 Z3 DASC, 07 E92 328i
    i never trust kbb mines worth 3k according to it, and thats when i bought it for 8k lol
    “Speed has never killed anyone.... Suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson

    Supercharged

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •