Thread: Correct antenna adapter (aftermarket radio to stock antenna)

My Cars
    98 M Roadster

Correct antenna adapter (aftermarket radio to stock antenna)

Is the Metra 40-VW10 the right adapter? Is there another brand or type that is recommended?

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Try METRA 40-VW53 or METRA 40-EU55. It's been a long time since I worked on my audio, and I think the former was used.

http://www.installer.com/search/sear...pter&B1=SEARCH

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by felonious monk View Post
    Try METRA 40-VW53 or METRA 40-EU55. It's been a long time since I worked on my audio, and I think the former was used.
    I picked up a 40-VW53 from Best Buy tonight. What a joke. They should change the name to "WTF Is Going On?" It's amazing they sell anything at all.

The adapter snaps in to place, which was a concern of mine, so it wont be working its way loose.

Now I've got a question about the leads & the turning on of the amplified antenna & the amp. I have a Metra adapter # 70-8591 plugged in to the factory harness. There is a blue wire coming out of the dash off the main adapter, a blue wire with a stripe coming off the radios harness, & another blue wire with a stripe coming off the antenna adapter. How do these hook up? Striped wire to striped wire? Then what to do with the blue wire?, or does that also get connected to the blue & striped wire coming off the radio?

Last edited by spacecowboy; 08-14-2011 at 02:31 PM.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    I don't remember. Like I said, it's been a long time since I did my audio. All I remember is the adapter uses a powered lead (usually for power antennas, or the remote amp turn on wire–usually blue) to supply power to the antenna. Which ever you use, as long as it is powered will work. I'm guessing blue with white strip is switched power. Matching the wires should be fine. Test the wires.

You may want to post over in the audio section.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I did some more research & will have to confirm it when I test the leads, but BMW's remote turn on wire is said to be white on the main harness.

The white wire being the turn on has been confirmed. I tested the leads, & got it all to work. The blue wire coming off the radio (remote turn on) attaches to the blue lead coming off the antenna adapter. It also attaches to the blue & striped lead coming off the Metra adapter that comes out of the dash & is attached to the BMW loom. I used a test light in the trunk to confirm power to the HK amp with & without the lead attached at the radio.

The next step is hooking up the new component speakers when they arrive.
    Last edited by spacecowboy; 08-14-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I know this is an old thread but I'm going to buy a 40-VW53 wiring adapter. On the old antenna I saw coaxiael a clip and a hot wire. On the adaptor I see a coaxial and a wire. Any advice? I will post a picture of the adapter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I should have taken a picture of what I was disconnecting before I disconnected it. I think I know where the black clip will go but where does that wire with the circular adapter go?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    I should have taken a picture of what I was disconnecting before I disconnected it. I think I know where the black clip will go but where does that wire with the circular adapter go?

Looks like ground wire. Attaches to body of the car, there should be some bolt for that around.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Looks like ground wire. Attaches to body of the car, there should be some bolt for that around.
    Thanks for your reply. That is what I suspect as well. I think it connects to the bolt that held the antenna base in place.

If I buy that coaxial adapter to use a aftermarket antenna, I may have to buy a female to female adapter as well.

My base broke so easily today. I suspect it was really brittle. The grommet was bad anyway.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Thanks for your reply. That is what I suspect as well. I think it connects to the bolt that held the antenna base in place.
    I think this is the ground point (with brown wire attached).

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    That is it. Thanks for the pic. Do you have any antenna? I do not see one.

Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    I think this is the ground point (with brown wire attached).

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    That is it. Thanks for the pic. Do you have any antenna? I do not see one.
    That car was missing antenna base when pic was taken.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    My OEM base broke a couple of months ago. I decided to go with a nice inexpensive over the counter new base/antenna.

Guys I spent at least an hour (probably more) searching through a bunch of different BMW antenna base to after market antenna adapters that would require zero rewiring from front or back. Crutchfield, Autozone, and other car places all gave a different answer that was wrong in my opinion. I think I finally found the perfect EURO to Motorola adaptor and it cost me less than $10. It fits like a glove and the sound is better than ever.
    Metra 40-VW16 Aftermarket Antenna Cable for Volkswagen

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    Last edited by Kram71; 05-11-2018 at 11:59 AM.