Thread: Common e9x problem: Door does not unlock/door lock actuator problem

My Cars
    too many

Common e9x problem: Door does not unlock/door lock actuator problem

Please remove
    Last edited by Placey; 06-03-2012 at 07:32 PM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP

Some additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Placey View Post
    This is due to a blown fuse in the JBBF caused by either:

An excessive amperage draw by one of the door lock actuators, which is commonly attributed to silicone contamination; or

An intermittent, but acceptable, amperage spike slightly above 15A, due to normal variation in the locking system.

Inspect fuse 57 (up to 9/07 production) or 73 (from 9/07 production)

Replace the blown 15A fuse with a 20A fuse.

Perform a function test by activating the door locks 10 times in succession via the central locking switch.

NOTE: The thermal protection will be activated after about 15 successive activations and does not indicate any damage to the system.

Carefully observe the operation of each lock actuator while it is being cycled. Lock actuators with some degree of damage will exhibit noticeable symptoms of this, such as slow operation, abnormal noises, etc.

If either one of the front door lock actuators is determined to be the source of the blown fuse, both front door latches (which contain the lock actuators) should be replaced

If either one of the rear door lock actuators is determined to be the source of the blown fuse, only that single faulty latch should be replaced

If no faulty lock actuators can be identified, wait 2 minutes and then repeat

After the second functional test, if no faulty lock actuators can be identified, none of the latches should be replaced

Part Number
    Description

51 21 7 263 086
    FRONT Door latch kit (contains both left and right latches)

51 22 7 060 295
    Door latch – left rear

51 22 7 060 296
    Door latch – right rear

61 13 6 942 071
    20 Amp mini fuse

Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Jeez, this is an old thread resurrected. If you have the door lock problem, replace both 15 amp fuses with 20 amp fuses in the glove box fuse panel. I think it's the bottom left corner (fuse 57 maybe), and I usually replace the other fuse too. Then replace the front door lock actuators to keep the problem from coming back.

I usually have to clear the fault codes in the JBE before the locks start working, even after replacing the fuse.
    Thanks White94RX.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)