Thread: D.I.Y Repair Trunk/Boot Lock Spring

My Cars
    4 x Assorted BMWs

D.I.Y Repair Trunk/Boot Lock Spring

Hi Guys
    Symptom of broken Sping and What to look for:
    1/If you can't close the Trunk/Boot to the point of where the latch locks around the Hook and keeps the Trunk/Boot closed.
    2/The latch is not firm and can flop around back and forth Your Spring is broken.

Yesterday I went to close my Trunk/Boot and it would not stay shut. It would not lock so I went to BMW and asked for the spring that attaches to the Lock Mechanism to keep the hook in place. Well they said $337.90 for the lock because the spring is part of the whole unit. I said G%$ F#@ked.
    I went home and did a DIY on how to repair the lock yourself. Its a 15 minute job and you can get the spring at any hardware.
    The hardest part is getting the plastic cover off the Trunk without breaking any of the clips. Just take your time and use a Clip tool or a large flat headed screw driver.
    Tools you need.
    1.Large flat headed screw driver.
    2.Torx head for the 3 nuts that hold on the Lock.
    3.Long Nose pliers
    4. Small flat headed screwdriver

Okay
    In the (1 picture) you have to remove the plastic cover the surrounds the lock.
    There are 2 Clips that you can see and all you do is use a small flatheaded screwdriver and prior the head out and then remove the base of the clip. (it is 2 parts and very fragile)
    Now take the large flat headed screw driver and slowly prior out the rest of the black plastic cover there are 4 more clips under the plastic cover that you can not see around the cover. Where the handle is that helps you to close the boot you have to carefully remove the cove and leave the handle attached to the trunk and don't try to pull it off or you will break it. Just work the cover off around the handle.

Once you get the cover off you will see 3 Torx headed screws you have to take off.
    (See Picture 2).

Now remove the Torx screws and the lock will come out easy.
    Then unplug the power plug that is attached to the lock.(See Picture 3)

The unit will now come out but just take the lock unit off the Metal hook that connects to the main lock.(Picture 4)

The spring should just fall out at this point if its has not already so keep a look out because you need it to match up a new spring at your hardware.
    (picture 5)

Now use the new spring and install it as I have in (Picture 6)

Now just reverse the above procedure and test your new lock and your done.
    If you have any questions please let me know.
    Hope this helps someone
    Cheers
    Addam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (92.1 KB, 40 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (85.9 KB, 38 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (99.3 KB, 37 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (124.1 KB, 37 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (91.9 KB, 38 views)
    Last edited by ozibimmer; 07-12-2011 at 07:48 PM.

My Cars
    4 x Assorted BMWs

Picture 6 Spring in Unit

Guys this is where the spring goes into your unit.
    (Picture 6)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (113.0 KB, 37 views)

My Cars
    Currently BMW'less
    thx man, may need to do this later too, the trunk of my wagon wouldnt close right sometimes............

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Nice job on saving some $s.
    Another member did a DIY on modifying the existing spring for the repair. Getting a new spring is a great alternative.

Trunk Latch Fix (easy)

I'll leave your thread in the main E39 section for responses and then tow it to E39 DIY.

My Cars
    4 x Assorted BMWs
    Hi Guys
    I have added a Symptom Test to the Original post as I spent nearly a Hour looking over fuses and wires.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850ci

E38 trunk latch spring

Hey there. I came across your post on where to attach the spring inside the trunk lock of the e38. I tried to see the pictures, but nothing opens. I am looking for picture 6 . I am logged in but nothing shows. Everything works in my trunk lock, but the spring was loose. I know one end goes around the small little pin, but I have no idea where the other end goes. Thank you!