Thread: Electrical problem - half of instrument cluster dead (tacho/mpg/fuel)

My Cars
    1992 325is

Electrical problem - half of instrument cluster dead (tacho/mpg/fuel)

Alright, so awhile back i rewired nearly the entire left side of the car due to a short circuit which nearly burned out the entire car.

Fixed alot of problems, central locking/power windows + roof/rear lights etc all work now, but ever since the MPG gauge, speedometer and fuel gauge have stopped working. Most likely i messed up one of the reconnections of the wires and this why it stopped working. It's alot of work to recheck all the wiring so before i do that someone can help me out!
    I've read that all these instruments use the same ground however i'm absolute horrid at reading electrical schematics so i'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

These are the schematics of the instrument panel for my car.

So the question is, anyone that might have a clue on what (colour) cable i should be looking for? Like i said, all that stopped working is the MPG/Fuelgauge/speedometer.
    Last edited by GPRO; 05-06-2011 at 04:41 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Black with white stripe. Check the BMW Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for your car from here http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Awesome, thanks!
    (Where did you read up the colour btw? I'm looking at the schematic you linked but nothing shows BL/WH or so).
    Last edited by GPRO; 05-07-2011 at 03:59 AM.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    The BMW ETMs, being less distant secondary sources, use German wire color abbreviations.

Black/white appears as SW/WS: schwartz/weiß.
    Last edited by johnf; 05-07-2011 at 09:16 AM.