Thread: Replace Conv. Top Micro Switch

My Cars
    '01 ///M Roadster

Replace Conv. Top Micro Switch

Does anyone know how? I can't figure out how or where to connect it to.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    2001 ///M Roadster - Titanium Silver
    F: TC Kline/Koni coilover struts, Eibach, TC Kline Camber Plates, Wilwood big front brakes, GC tubular swaybar, Dinan Strut Brace R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 Sport pipes. MISC: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport CAI, Randy Forbes rear end fix.
    2007 335i Coupe, Sport, Black inside and out, Bone Stock Rocket Ship.

My Cars
    '01 ///M Roadster
    C'mon guys! Hasn't anyone had to replace the micro-switch, ever??
    Last edited by mitrebox1; 04-01-2011 at 01:20 PM.
    F: TC Kline/Koni coilover struts, Eibach, TC Kline Camber Plates, Wilwood big front brakes, GC tubular swaybar, Dinan Strut Brace R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 Sport pipes. MISC: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport CAI, Randy Forbes rear end fix.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    '01 ///M Roadster
    No, I see the old switch, and a new one. Can't locate where to plug the new one in.

I'd rather have some help and knowledge rather than shooting from the hip on this one.

Thanks.

My Cars
    '11 Fiesta, '90 Bronco
    So you can see, thats a good first step.

1) look at new switch, note length of wire
    2) look at old switch, follow wire that distance
    3) find connector
    4)
    5) profit

3.73 | TCK S/A w/ H&R Sport | M50 manifold | IE Subframe Bushings, RSM, & SS brake lines | Shark Injector | UUC Evo3 SSK & DSSR | Cosmos Strut Brace | ASC, Resonator, CDV Delete

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI
    Quote Originally Posted by IRPancake View Post

3) find connector
    4)
    5) profit

2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20) = Current
    2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200 AMG Line = Current

My Cars
    '01 ///M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by IRPancake View Post

3) find connector
    4)
    5) profit
    LOL! If it were that simple, I would not be enlisting your aid.

The wire goes into one of the mechanism pieces and disappears into the void.

I'm looking for help and guidance in finding out what I have to remove to find the end, opposite the switch, and where to connect it.

C'mon, give a guy a break.

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Question

I've never done this or even looked closely at mine.. BUT isn't it only held in place on the frame with 2 bolts (number 31 below):

It'd be unusual for the switch to have a long pigtail to plug in anywhere else.. are you sure the harness doesn't unplug or unclip from the microswitch??

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI
    EDIT: I just remembered when retrofitting my hardtop that there is a wiring loom that you run the harness off of for the rear demister switch.. fairly certain this is the harness that leads to the microswitch for the roof.. let me try and dig out some pics..

probably not the best picture - but this is with the side trim removed - you can (just) see where the braided cable runs from the microswitch/frame:

Last edited by pangsterZ3; 04-01-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added picture

My Cars
    '01 ///M Roadster
    Thank you for the pictures. They helped me locate where that wiring loom is.

Didn't have time to get into it today aside from looking. Autocross tomorrow. Maybe next weekend.

Again, thank you.

Stephen

mherington is offline Passing Gas... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    Pangster, two words: Thank you.

I've been looking for that stupid connector for a while now, and I suspect it's the root of my top actuator problems. I'm going to rip into that area tomorrow and see what I can find. If I have success I'll post a howto with pictures, maybe borrow some of yours.

Again, thanks!

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mitrebox1 View Post
    Thank you for the pictures. They helped me locate where that wiring loom is.

Didn't have time to get into it today aside from looking. Autocross tomorrow. Maybe next weekend.

Again, thank you.

Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by mherington View Post
    Pangster, two words: Thank you.

I've been looking for that stupid connector for a while now, and I suspect it's the root of my top actuator problems. I'm going to rip into that area tomorrow and see what I can find. If I have success I'll post a howto with pictures, maybe borrow some of yours.

Again, thanks!
    No problem!!! Glad they helped!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    A followup (not DIY-worthy as yet)... managed to get to the connector as described by Pangsters pictures. Unclipped the connector from the harness and tested the microswitch with a volt/ohm meter. Bingo! Flakey switch, Ohms would go from 0 to infinite and everywhere in between for no reason. Jumped the pins on the harness and the top would lift and lower on command.

So, now I need to order a new switch/wire and figure out how to install the thing. It's zip-tied in a few places along the top frame, and it runs inside the frame for a length. I'm not exactly sure how to get it back in to the frame once it's out. Any hints?

My Cars
    '01 ///M Roadster
    A followup (not DIY-worthy as yet)... managed to get to the connector as described by Pangsters pictures. Unclipped the connector from the harness and tested the microswitch with a volt/ohm meter. Bingo! Flakey switch, Ohms would go from 0 to infinite and everywhere in between for no reason. Jumped the pins on the harness and the top would lift and lower on command.

So, now I need to order a new switch/wire and figure out how to install the thing. It's zip-tied in a few places along the top frame, and it runs inside the frame for a length. I'm not exactly sure how to get it back in to the frame once it's out. Any hints?
    I also see the connector. Haven't had a chance to spend some time to get it unclipped, etc. I have a new micro-switch and it looks like it's going to be a bitch getting it installed.

I think that tying a string on the connector ends of the old one before pulling it out will enable getting the new one properly strung through the frame.

Looks like it's one of those one-hour jobs that's going to take a day to do.

Hope I'm surprised. Thank you Pangster for the help.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    I agree on the string idea. That thought came to me late last night as I was drifting off to sleep (funny how the mind works). It's a simple, obvious solution. Just ordered the part, will try to have installed by the weekend.

My Cars
    '01 ///M Roadster
    I agree on the string idea. That thought came to me late last night as I was drifting off to sleep (funny how the mind works). It's a simple, obvious solution. Just ordered the part, will try to have installed by the weekend.
    Please let us know how it goes. I'm really interested and would appreciate learning from your experience. If you can take any photos and/or do a write-up, that would be a great help to me and to everyone else that will have to face this conundrum.

Thank you.

Stephen

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster
    Quick follow-up: It works! I replaced the "folding top micro switch" yesterday, and it has totally solved the problem. A few notes, then I'll make a better how-to soon:

1) The connector for the switch as shown in pangsters photos is buried under a wedge-shaped piece of trim that (in my case) took some effort to remove.
    2) The replacement switch and wire DOES NOT come with the connector housing, just the actual pins soldered to the pigtail. This is OK, as the connector housing is fairly easy to disassemble, and you will need to take it apart anyway to fish the pigtail up through the frame.
    3) The string and tape trick worked like a charm.
    4) Be mindful of how the top frame folds up, it can pinch the pigtail in several places if not properly secured.
    5) Test the switch before pulling it through the frame!

I'm thrilled to have a working top (it was a known issue when I bought the car). Now I need to install the replacement rear window...

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Thumbs up

Quick follow-up: It works! I replaced the "folding top micro switch" yesterday, and it has totally solved the problem. A few notes, then I'll make a better how-to soon:

1) The connector for the switch as shown in pangsters photos is buried under a wedge-shaped piece of trim that (in my case) took some effort to remove.
    2) The replacement switch and wire DOES NOT come with the connector housing, just the actual pins soldered to the pigtail. This is OK, as the connector housing is fairly easy to disassemble, and you will need to take it apart anyway to fish the pigtail up through the frame.
    4) Be mindful of how the top frame folds up, it can pinch the pigtail in several places if not properly secured.

I'm thrilled to have a working top (it was a known issue when I bought the car). Now I need to install the replacement rear window...
    Glad you got it sorted!!!

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    This is Week 2 with my '98 M Roadie fixer-upper. Thanks for this info, guys. I managed to not rip too much out trying to get to the switch plug, but finally got to it. While I knew the top was new, I wasn't prepared to find that the previous owner forgot to re-solder the 2-wire loom back together - he'd hacked them off to remove the top (along with a new microswitch), but the plug now has two wires cut at about 3 inches from the connector. Off to solder ot back together and see if the pump is working after all!

My Cars
    '01 ///M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mitrebox1 View Post
    I also see the connector. Haven't had a chance to spend some time to get it unclipped, etc. I have a new micro-switch and it looks like it's going to be a bitch getting it installed.

I think that tying a string on the connector ends of the old one before pulling it out will enable getting the new one properly strung through the frame.

Looks like it's one of those one-hour jobs that's going to take a day to do.

Hope I'm surprised. Thank you Pangster for the help.
    Like I said about the one-hour job... Took about four hours. Thanks to Ken's help and ingenuity, we managed to get the thing installed. Getting the old connectors out of the plug block was rather simple; just pushed the connectors out with a really small screwdriver.

The string thing worked. Have to tape the new wire to the string using tape sparingly or it won't fit through the holes in the frame. Used the outer mesh sheathing as a kind of "Japanese handcuff," (Ken's idea) taped to the string to pull the wires through the hollow frame piece. In all, it was a real PITA, but the job is done, the top works and I'm happy with the outcome.

Could not, for the life of me, figure out how to get the interior trim off for better access. One of those secrets that only the dealers know, I guess. Would have made the job a one hour process.b

Thanks again, Ken!!

My Cars
    01 Audi S8

Could a quick fix be just connecting the two wires together (jumper) that go to the micro switch?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.

Replace Conv. Top Micro Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman4ever View Post
    Could a quick fix be just connecting the two wires together (jumper) that go to the micro switch?
    That’s exactly why I did.
    Cut the wires by the switch and soldered the wires together.
    A little heat shrink and it’s all set.

Haven’t looked back.
    Was meaning to solder in a new switch. But honestly can’t see the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by magnetchief; 12-30-2018 at 10:49 PM.

My Cars
    01 Audi S8
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetchief View Post
    That’s exactly why I did.
    Cut the wires by the switch and soldered the wires together.
    A little heat shrink and it’s all set.

Haven’t looked back.
    Was meaning to solder in a new switch. But honestly can’t see the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh OK I guess I got confusing between "micro switch" and the actual switch in the console that you press to make the top go up and down