Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: service engine soon light

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i

service engine soon light

...came on this morning. car has 77K miles on it. it's my 1st BMW and i bought it 2 weeks ago. does this means needs an oil and filter change? please advise and thanks in advance. i have a 2006 BMW 325i with Sport Package anyways.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaiboy View Post
    ...came on this morning. car has 77K miles on it. it's my 1st BMW and i bought it 2 weeks ago. does this means needs an oil and filter change? please advise and thanks in advance. i have a 2006 BMW 325i with Sport Package anyways.
    No, it means something is wrong with the engine controls (oxygen sensors, cam/crank position sensors, mass-airflow meter, injection system, etc.) Could be almost anything - you need to take it to a dealer or independent repair shop that has a GT1 engine analyzer to have the problem diagnosed.

My Cars
    2004 e46 Sedan
    No, an SES light is more than a oil change. That'd be a maintenance indicator that would let you know you needed an oil change. Likely it's your gas cap loose, tighten it and see if it goes away. If it doesn't you'll need to have the code pulled. BMW's don't have a standard ODB II port, you'll have to have one specific for it.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstroudwku View Post
    BMW's don't have a standard ODB II port, you'll have to have one specific for it.
    This is not true. *ALL* cars sold in the US have OBDII ports.

What you mean is that, in addition to the *STANDARD* government-defined codes (there are 100-200 of them IIRC), the port also reads out a couple thousand other BMW-specific codes having to do with every system in the car. Basic code readers are not able to decode those BMW-specific codes.

My Cars
    07 328xi / Trek 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post

What you mean is that, in addition to the *STANDARD* government-defined codes (there are 100-200 of them IIRC), the port also reads out a couple thousand other BMW-specific codes having to do with every system in the car. Basic code readers are not able to decode those BMW-specific codes.
    +1
    You dirty rat, you killed my brother. Now I am going to kill you

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    i have open the gas cap and close it until it clicks then drove the car again but service engine soon light still on. someone said that it can not be reset unless it is being done by a service dealership or an independent shop.

My Cars
    330i 06....525i 94
    My wifes 06 330 with 67,000 miles had its engine light came on this morning. $687.00 later she got a new ignition coil, spark plug, and solenoid valve.

If the new solenoid don't fix the lifter noise ( which didn't ) it will need a $3000.00 head job.

The funny part was the guy RIGHT in front of my wife in line just paid the $3000.00 for the head job.

This car is going to be a trade in. Thank God its paid for.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    i have open the gas cap and close it until it clicks then drove the car again but service engine soon light still on. someone said that it can not be reset unless it is being done by a service dealership or an independent shop.
    If it is indeed the gas cap, it takes several restarts to go away. Give it a couple of days and see what happens.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    thanks mryarkan for the response. i will wait till wednesday for the service engine soon light to go away. car is running and idling fine and i haven't notice any changes on mpg or any weird engine noises. i do hope that when i traded my trouble free 03 4Runner SE V6 2WD for the BMW that i will not get a lot of headaches!!!!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    well, thanks to all..service engine soon light finally went out after 2 days. hope i won't see it again...i'd fill up the car today, of course Premium, and i made sure gas cap click once...

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i
    jus buy a obd reader from kragen or somethin.. good investment if you do allot of motor work, u can check the code an if alls good reset it through the reader

My Cars
    2004 e46 Sedan

You are correct, sorry for the misleading statement. Neither of my code readers will link with my BMW however the dealers Laptop code reader will. Mine plug in, but give me an error code which basically says "no-support" However my readers could just use an update too.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi
    well, thanks to all..service engine soon light finally went out after 2 days. hope i won't see it again...i'd fill up the car today, of course Premium, and i made sure gas cap click once...
    I had a similar problem a few months ago. My SES light would come on then it went off a few days later and would come back. Turns out that it was an exhaust vanos valve that was sticking or soemthing. Got it fixed & the light hasnt come back since & runs much smoother and more consistant.

My Cars
    330i 06....525i 94
    Quote Originally Posted by Cir14 View Post
    I had a similar problem a few months ago. My SES light would come on then it went off a few days later and would come back. Turns out that it was an exhaust vanos valve that was sticking or soemthing. Got it fixed & the light hasnt come back since & runs much smoother and more consistant.
    Mine was the intake vanos valve. Light went out and stayed off after they replaced it.

Now wondering about how bad the Lifter tap issue's going to be.

My Cars
    2004 e46 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Charles View Post
    Mine was the intake vanos valve. Light went out and stayed off after they replaced it.

Now wondering about how bad the Lifter tap issue's going to be.
    Well... if you blow the motor I'll buy your intake I want to convert my 325i e90.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    My 2003 Z4 User’s Manual page 83 says: “… this indicates a fault in the emissions-related electronic systems."

Mine came up yesterday at close to 60,000 miles on odometer.

Although the manual suggest that I bring it in for a checkup, I am reluctant to do so. My other bimmer (2007 335i) has just been scammed by Fremont (CA) dealer for over $3000. I believe it’s a $1000 job at most. They are pretty good at it, I mean scamming people.
    Last edited by GolfNutNut; 08-04-2015 at 03:06 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 3.28i
    My check engine soon light is on as well. It turned on about 2 hours ago. Early this morning I noticed the car was odd. Since in park it did not idle correct. As the day progresses the idle gets worst in park but now also reverse, neutral and when you put it in drive. The car has been perfectly fine this far.

2011 with 51,000 miles. Dealership wants $170 just to diagnose it while private show wants $130-$155. Should I take it to dealership to get it diagnosed then call around for quotes or pay $135 local shop and trust they donthe right thing.

Also, what do you think is wrong with the car?

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWAM View Post
    Also, what do you think is wrong with the car?
    There are several HUNDRED codes (actually thousands), which can indicate many HUNDRED problems.

Go to Autozone or O'Reilley's and get the codes read (for free), then decide.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Autozone and/or O'Reilley's cannot read the codes. As far as I know, they use standard scan tools that will read "P" codes, which are next to useless with a BMW. You need to have a scan done with a BMW specific scan tool. Going to an auto parts store to have the codes read could have you chasing your tail.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Autozone and/or O'Reilley's cannot read the codes. As far as I know, they use standard scan tools that will read "P" codes, which are next to useless with a BMW. You need to have a scan done with a BMW specific scan tool. Going to an auto parts store to have the codes read could have you chasing your tail.
    Most problems with modern BMWs can be diagnosed with the "standard" tools. For instance, my 335d was read by an Autozone scanner and correctly diagnosed a DEF system problem. That's much more obscure than most BMW gas engine codes. Besides, you can google for most BMW specific codes and find what they mean.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335d
    My 2009 335d has 63k miles and the SES light came on three weeks ago. Auto Zone was able to read the codes:

- P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
    - P0300 Random Misfire Detected
    - P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

After reading the codes the SES light went off. It has been three weeks, and about 200 miles, and no SES light yet! Maybe some bad diesel? Time will tell.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335d
    Follow-up to my post on 06-24-2017...
    I ran my 335d 500 miles before the SES light came on again. I was very curious to find out if it would be the same codes, Cylinder 3 and 4 misfire. That afternoon I took it to Auto Zone and there was one code:

- P0675 Cylinder 5 Glow Plug Circuit

Anyone hazard a guess, all part of the same problem?

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Austin, where are you having your work done? Is it by someone that really knows BMWs? I'm asking because I did some research before buying my E90 and apparently the slight lifter tick is a not uncommon issue. If I remember right, BMW issued a bulletin regarding the issue. The highlight of what I remember is that the tick or noise is caused by a pressure deficiency and there is a procedure that you can go through to alleviate the tick. I believe it happens when the car is driven too sedately. In any case, if your problem is what I read about, I am positive about remembering that the tick has no detrimental effects on the engine.

In any case, definitely something to follow up on and research a bit.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328xi
    Most problems with modern BMWs can be diagnosed with the "standard" tools. For instance, my 335d was read by an Autozone scanner and correctly diagnosed a DEF system problem. That's much more obscure than most BMW gas engine codes. Besides, you can google for most BMW specific codes and find what they mean.
    My service engine soon light clicked on last night. I took my car into AutoZone over my lunch break today and used their OBDII. Came back with P2096 Code: Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1.

All I had to do was tighten the box around my air filter. So my BMW read just fine using their tools and was a nice easy fix in the parking lot.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330i
    I just bought a 2006 330i and going for 120000 service, estimate is $1990, service include oil change, air and cabin filter, ps fluid flush, brake fluid flush, transmisión service and spark plugs, is it a good price?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast