Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC light on, DSC button unresponsive

My Cars
    1994 E36 318is

DSC light on, DSC button unresponsive

This is after trying to crank it with a dead battery a few times; battery's since been replaced, but the DSC light (and only DSC, no ABS or brake) stays on, and hitting the DSC button does nothing. I've got a modded KKL adapter I use with INPA so I can pull codes, but there's nothing in the ME and the transmission. Trying to go E38->Chassis->DSC3/DSC5 or whatever it is gets "no response from unit". How can I figure out what's wrong?

I'll be checking the fuse in a bit, the repeated cranks may've blown it (hope it didn't blow the DSC unit), but other than that, I don't know where to look. I've seen some posts mention the steering angle sensor, how do I go about checking that? Any advice is much appreciated =)

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Might be the interface....

Might be a dead module.

Might be a bus problem.

Fuses good?

oh...damn I got it. Its your interface....

IM GOING TO SCREAM

YOU CANNOT SEE ALL OF THE MODULES FROM THE OBDII CONNECTOR.

You MUST use the round 20 pin underhood.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Have the steering angle sensor reinitialized.

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    i have the exact same problem. After replacing dead battery dsc light has been on with no response from dsc button... If u figure this out let me know...

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    answer is in the previous post

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    how do u reinitialize the steering angle sensor? Does dealership have to do this?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    how do u reinitialize the steering angle sensor? Does dealership have to do this?
    Yes, it is recalibrated/reinitialized using BMW DIS/GT-1/MoDiC etc...or if you have aftermarket software/hardware that can communicate with BMW proprietary control modules.

(take note of the 5th paragraph)
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Use the round port and bang it with INPA. It should give you codes for that....
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg

My Cars
    1994 E36 318is
    Hate to bring back old threads, but in case anyone searches for the same thing: I finally managed to get an OBD->ADS/20-pin adapter to hook into it under the hood; the steering angle sensor module itself is also capable of having error codes, and resetting the codes in the DSC module won't do anything if the steering angle sensor module ones aren't reset. So I reset those first, then the ones in DSC, restarted the car and.. voila! Traction control is back, and I didn't even have to recode the steering angle sensor. I did this with INPA.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by lolica View Post
    Hate to bring back old threads, but in case anyone searches for the same thing: I finally managed to get an OBD->ADS/20-pin adapter to hook into it under the hood; the steering angle sensor module itself is also capable of having error codes, and resetting the codes in the DSC module won't do anything if the steering angle sensor module ones aren't reset. So I reset those first, then the ones in DSC, restarted the car and.. voila! Traction control is back, and I didn't even have to recode the steering angle sensor. I did this with INPA.
    did you run in obd mode or ads? i cannot communicate with dsc as u stated in your old post. no communication from unit. same exact problem upon dead battery and replacement. i would love to not have to recalibrate the steering angle sensor. just clearing dsc and steering angle sensors would b much easier.

My Cars
    1994 E36 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    did you run in obd mode or ads? i cannot communicate with dsc as u stated in your old post. no communication from unit. same exact problem upon dead battery and replacement. i would love to not have to recalibrate the steering angle sensor. just clearing dsc and steering angle sensors would b much easier.
    I've never seen an option selecting between the two in INPA. I'm using a modified VAG-KKL (409.1) USB->OBD cable from DealExtreme (cost $13, you have to do a single and very easy mod to it), with a standard OBD->ADS adapter. I literally just added the OBD->ADS adapter, connected it to the ADS port (under the hood), and it worked. If I used the OBD port inside the car, I'd get 'no communication from unit', and I was told that OBD port is *not* wired to a lot of the modules. ADS solved that problem - once again, I didn't change a thing.

EDIT:
    Cable: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-kkl...m-length-37635
    Adapter: http://obd2tech.com/70-adaptor-cable-for-older-bmw.html
    How to mod: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1&postcount=49

What I did is soldered two very thin wires (wire-wrap wire) to pins 7 and 8 and pulled them out through the cable's LED hole (LED still fits). That way I can use it for both BMW and VW just by creating or removing contact between the wires.
    Last edited by lolica; 06-27-2011 at 01:19 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    i have the 20 pin round cable for under the hood. but under e38>chassis>abs asc dsc> it doesnt open anything up i believe i get a no response from unit or malfunction possible or something like that...

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    If I had a car here to show you how to do it, I would. Hence why I wanted to dail into your car from here..

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    You guys are confusing what ADS and OBD are....

And purp...I dont know why your hell bent on USING ADS. It will work...but OBD is faster.

ADS is 2 K data lines and one L data line to wake up modules. This must be used on Pre 95 cars.

OBD is 2 K lines only.

VAG KKL can be modded to work as OBD hence the KK part..but cannot be modded (to my knowledge) as a ADS using KKL.

Truthfully dont care..as I have a ADS/OBD switchable.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    ICE i saw a photo that stated if you have pin 15 installed then you need to use ADS. i have pin 15... thats why i used ADS i will try OBD. if i remember i used ADS because the OBD switch wasnt communicating properly... i will try again and report back...
    UPDATE: used OBD works fine with INPA. clear DSC codes and the same code keep comig back 83 - cross acceleration sensor lead
    Last edited by purplecty; 06-28-2011 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Just because the connector is 15 pin, doesn't mean the wiring to the connector is 15 wires.. Ask me how I know.

My Cars
    Too many to list.

Cross Acceleration sensor value exceeded.

11 Accelerating sensor 1 09/1998 37146781405 $102.03

Looks like that's the animal.. From what I've read, it's under the driver's seat.. I could be wrong though, that was for e39.
    Last edited by nah2323; 07-01-2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    found it in my ALLDATA program. my plastic part on the side of the driver seat is broken. Im betting the connector probably just came unplugged, ill give it a look see and report back...

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by nah2323 View Post
    Just because the connector is 15 pin, doesn't mean the wiring to the connector is 15 wires.. Ask me how I know.
    Yep - if it's wired you'll have 11v at pin 15.

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Looks like the seat has to come out.. You can check behind the plastic, but don't be surprised if the seat has to come out..

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The yaw sensor (rotational sensor) is located under the driver's seat of both the e38 & e39:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    Too many to list.
    Yep, that's the same thread I saw the information on.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    i will try and find a good one off a part out... is it easy to take out the seat? mine is a little worn so i may as well replace with a cleaner one when i get the time to pull it out...

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    See www.e38.org for seat removal. There are lots of DIYs that are not necessarily about seat removal but have step by step instructions on how to do it due to content...for instance heated seat install (look for Rhett's heated seat install) which requires the seat be removed to do this mod. Again, Rhett's heated seat install DIY has great pics & instructions on how to remove the front seats.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Thanks Q! you always have some of the most informative posts!!!
    Last edited by purplecty; 07-03-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast