Thread: remote key and alarm not working?

My Cars
    320D estate

remote key and alarm not working?

Hi,i did the removal of the swirl flaps on Sunday on my 2003 320D Touring and disconnected the battery before starting the job,afterwards i reconnected the battery but found the remote keys not working,did the usual seaches and got the system working again,but this morning i couldn't open the car with the remote key and had to use the lock,which set the alarm off,since then i have been trying the get the alarm and door opening sytem working but with no luck at all what have i done wrong?and how can i get it working again,help please,thanks,Slow.

pac0 is offline Stanceologistically Erect
    My Cars
    02 540i/6
    Maybe the key battery needs to be fully charged? My key battery was dead after a few weeks of letting the car sit

E39|X5|E38 $90 MID RADIO PIXEL REPAIR - PM FOR DETAILS

My Cars
    320D estate
    Quote Originally Posted by pac0 View Post
    Maybe the key battery needs to be fully charged? My key battery was dead after a few weeks of letting the car sit
    Iv'e been using the car so it shouldn't be flat,also both keys don't work,i have a feeling from what i looked up on the net, that i might be the amplifier that is located behind the brake strip light on the back tail gate,but i'm not sure how hard this is to remove,if anyone knows please explain,thanks.

My Cars
    2 MINI R56s
    Slowmover, It is not that hard to remove the rear hatch spoiler. I've it done a couple of times and I have to go back in again because I am having poor FM reception and my remotes also do not work.

Raise rear window. Remove inner trim from glass panel by releasing the clips on trim from retainers.

Use two plastic prying wedge tools to release each pin retaining trim.

Release spoiler mounting bolts. Disconnect wiring to brake light and AM radio antenna and release washer nozzle hose. Remove spoiler.

Make sure you do not damage the plastic waterproofing sheet. I damaged it the first time I was in there. So it would be a good idea to order it. Part number 51 71 8 244 658.

Last edited by mikeyb74; 02-22-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    2009 Horizon Blue/Jet Black Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White/Jet Black Justa 6spd

It is funny... people who drive anything expensive often get labeled by folks who drive less expensive cars. I have found, without exception, that douchebags cover all demographics and incomes. You can be an douchebag in a Echo or an Escalade.

My Cars
    320D estate
    That's great info,thankyou,when it stops raining here i will be outside doing this job,thanks again.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Status?

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    320D estate
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Status?
    I looked at it about a hour ago,can't see any broken leads or bad earth connections,it still doesn't work,so i guess the unit must be Kaput!!!it's part no 8377815-03,and they don't have any in the UK or in Germany i was told from a BMW dealer,so i'm on the lookout for a good used part,OR the same thing under another part no from another model BMW maybe?.

My Cars
    2 MINI R56s
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
    I looked at it about a hour ago,can't see any broken leads or bad earth connections,it still doesn't work,so i guess the unit must be Kaput!!!it's part no 8377815-03,and they don't have any in the UK or in Germany i was told from a BMW dealer,so i'm on the lookout for a good used part,OR the same thing under another part no from another model BMW maybe?.
    You could try ebay or what about checking in the US? All 98-05 e46 touring/estate used this antenna amplifier.
    Last edited by mikeyb74; 02-23-2011 at 10:28 AM.

It is funny... people who drive anything expensive often get labeled by folks who drive less expensive cars. I have found, without exception, that douchebags cover all demographics and incomes. You can be an douchebag in a Echo or an Escalade.

My Cars
    320D estate
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
    You could try ebay or what about checking in the US? All 98-05 e46 touring/estate used this antenna amplifier.
    Some iv'e seen on Ebay but they look different to the one i have,mine seems more of a square box and black in colour,and the ones iv'e seen on Ebay are oblong and grey in colour,i don't think those would fit?.

My Cars
    2 MINI R56s
    Some iv'e seen on Ebay but they look different to the one i have,mine seems more of a square box and black in colour,and the ones iv'e seen on Ebay are oblong and grey in colour,i don't think those would fit?.
    I would try to pick up the same part you have. I emailed my contact at my BMW dealer to see if the part is in the US.

My remotes do not work either but I can lock and unlock the car with the door lock without the alarm going off. What about disconnected the alarm for now until you are able to source the part?
    Last edited by mikeyb74; 02-23-2011 at 11:00 AM.

My Cars
    320D estate
    I would try to pick up the same part you have. I emailed my contact at my BMW dealer to see if the part is in the US.

My remotes do not work either but I can lock and unlock the car with the door lock without the alarm going off. What about disconnected the alarm for now until you are able to source the part?
    Yes i will have to do that,trouble is i carry some expensive gear around and i wouldn't like to leave the car without a alarm if at all possible,but i guess i will have to be real careful,please let me know when you hear back from you dealer,thankyou.
    Last edited by slowmover; 02-23-2011 at 11:11 AM.

My Cars
    2 MINI R56s
    Yes i will have to do that,trouble is i carry some expensive gear around and i wouldn't like to leave the car without a alarm if at all possible,but i guess i will have to be real careful,please let me know when you hear back from you dealer,thankyou.
    Not available here in the states either. He said according BMW NA this part is in stock in Germany. Is there any salvage yards that would have BMWs in them?

My Cars
    320D estate
    Not available here in the states either. He said according BMW NA this part is in stock in Germany. Is there any salvage yards that would have BMWs in them?
    That's about the only way to get this part at the moment,i'm pretty sure it is this unit,but iv'e booked the car in at a BMW garage mid next week so they can put the computer on it to make 100% sure this is the fault,will keep you updated as soon as i know for sure,Thanks.

My Cars
    320D estate
    Alarm and door locking sorted!!i replaced the antenna diversity amplifier for a used one today and everything is back to how it should be,job done!!.(i hope!)

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330xi

One key remote working...one not working.

Just in case this helps anybody....I had a subwoofer and amp installed as well as an underbody light kit installed at a reputable installer. Afterwards, the key that I had with the vehicle worked fine remotely (all key fob functions) but the 2nd key, which had worked fine immediately before the installs, no longer worked (I did not have that 2nd key at the site of the install). I followed the initialization procedure at the very beginning of this post, using the non-working key. Nothing happened. I then followed the same exact procedure using the working key...which gave the proper automatic unlock-lock sequence described...immediately followed the same procedure with the non-working key...and it also did the automatic unlock-lock sequence and now both keys work perfectly. Thanks everybody! I just joined this site and love it already!