Thread: Headliner string

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3

Headliner string

I have found the string of the headliner no longer attached to the roof frame and am looking for instructions on how to rethread it and secure it.

I have seen there is a TSB number 540399 that was issued about the string coming loose but have been unable to locate and electronic copy to see if it addresses how to reconnect and tension it.

Anybody have instructions or guidance?

Thanks

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Thanks, but I must be a little slow on the uptake. The string is in place in the headliner, but not attached to the frame in the front on the drivers side. Passenger side is up tight and hides how it is attached.

If the line is connected to a spring, which makes sense, how do I thread the line into the front point on the frame and how do I set the tension on the spring. Do I do this with the top down or up, my guess down so things are not loaded.

Again, appreciate any further information. I'd rather not break something by charging ahead incorrectly.

Is there an instruction manual for the installation of one of these headliners that would provide the information?

My Cars
    z3 2.3 z3 3.0
    This is all I could find.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Buy new ones. They are fairly inexpensive, and easy to install.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Thanks again, I do not need to buy them, just figure out how to re-tie them at the front connection point.

I have previously seen the instruction provided, however, it does not address the line.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Wait, I was referring to the cable that is part of the convertible top. Ignore my comments.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Thanks to everyone. I have it figured out now and have ordered the correct part to fix this problem.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 & 14 allroad
    Shiphty, if you are still around, can you post your findings? I have the same problem and can't get it threaded through the little hole.

My Cars
    Navionics
    Does anyone know if this headliner will fit the early 1999 Z3 model. I guess the new retrofit number is 54318410992

flyhal@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shiphty View Post
    Thanks, but I must be a little slow on the uptake. The string is in place in the headliner, but not attached to the frame in the front on the drivers side. Passenger side is up tight and hides how it is attached.

If the line is connected to a spring, which makes sense, how do I thread the line into the front point on the frame and how do I set the tension on the spring. Do I do this with the top down or up, my guess down so things are not loaded.

Again, appreciate any further information. I'd rather not break something by charging ahead incorrectly.

Is there an instruction manual for the installation of one of these headliners that would provide the information?

My Cars
    2000 Z3M Roadster
    Just lower the top and refer to the opposite side to see how it is threaded. It should be reattached while the top is down and the string has some slack. Easy.