Thread: Optima Red Top battery

My Cars
    00 M Coupe

Optima Red Top battery

Does anyone has any experience with Optima Red Top 75/35 battery? I am thinking about using Optima for my next replacement... here is a link I found regarding installation of the Red Top 75/35 in a 2001 M Coupe...

http://www.ninemisfit.com/vehicles/2...ima/index.html
    Last edited by 0260IN5; 11-18-2010 at 12:23 PM.

My Cars
    2002 M coupe & 2008 M3
    I installed an Optima Yellow Top. Same experience as those instructions you posted. I used some foam to secure it and bought a cable from Advanced Auto Parts. It's taller than the OEM battery so I didn't use my black plastic cover on top. Between the regular plywood carpeted trunk and the Carpet trunk mat (///M embroidered one purchased at dealership) you can't tell a difference.
    2002 M coupe - Imola/Imola, 18" BBS LM, Wilwood BBK, TC Kline S/A coilovers, Supersprint V2 stepped headers, SS Section 1 race cats, SS Section 2 X-pipe, SS Race exhaust, 3.73 differential, Sport mode, Dinan ECU
    2008 M3 sedan - Melbourne/Black, 6MT, AA test pipes, Dinan exhaust, BPM Sport tune, Dinan intake, Swift springs

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I use a Red Top in my roady. Raises the floor about an inch, not too bad. Battery lasts forever.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueM3Racer View Post
    I installed an Optima Yellow Top. Same experience as those instructions you posted. I used some foam to secure it and bought a cable from Advanced Auto Parts. It's taller than the OEM battery so I didn't use my black plastic cover on top. Between the regular plywood carpeted trunk and the Carpet trunk mat (///M embroidered one purchased at dealership) you can't tell a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    I use a Red Top in my roady. Raises the floor about an inch, not too bad. Battery lasts forever.

Terry
    Same here. No problems.
    2000 Z3 MCoupe, '01 LSB E46 M3, '99 GTI VR6, '06 Audi A4, Andrew '95 Avus M3

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    Thanks guys...it looks like an Optima Red Top is on order for me...

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Been using a red top since 2005/6. No issues. The factory lid does fit, you just can't tighten the nuts down all the way. Tighten them just enough so nothing rattles or moves around. I'm using some high density foam blocks (the kind you find in Pelican cases). One of these days I'm going to wrap the battery and battery box in saran wrap and use high density expanding foam to make a proper one. That should take care of it for good.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    This is how I have my Optima secured: high density foam stuffed on all sides and the adjustable strap from a knee pad ^_^:

Monk - I'm not sure if the roadies use a different battery box but I wasn't able to even slightly secure the lid down after swapping in an Optima.

-2023 Honda Odyssey Elite
    -2019 F31 Individual (M-Sport, Prem, Exec, Track)
    -2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliAgents1688 View Post
    This is how I have my Optima secured: high density foam stuffed on all sides and the adjustable strap from a knee pad ^_^:

Monk - I'm not sure if the roadies use a different battery box but I wasn't able to even slightly secure the lid down after swapping in an Optima.
    Very clean install! I need to consider someting like that. Thanks for the pic.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe

Thanks for posting the pic...thats a great set up...I think Optima Red Top is a little shorter than the Yello Top? maybe thats why the battery cover will fit over a Red Top installation?

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Drew, why deep-cycle yellow top? Big audio?

Thanks,
    Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2000 Z3; 1998 528i
    I picked up a red top for my car recently. Not an M, just a regular Z3, but I had a similar experience as everyone else. The battery was a little taller, but I made the carpet/trunk cover work. I also added a universal battery tie down kit from pep boys and changed the stock positive cable for one slightly longer. My last red top battery lasted me five years, and was still strong when I sold the car. They are totally worth the extra money and install issues.
    Hello. I like you.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    Quote Originally Posted by 0260IN5 View Post
    Thanks for posting the pic...thats a great set up...I think Optima Red Top is a little shorter than the Yello Top? maybe thats why the battery cover will fit over a Red Top installation?
    From my understanding they are the same dimensionally as long as they are both the same model (e.g. D51).

Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    Drew, why deep-cycle yellow top? Big audio?

Thanks,
    Terry
    No particular reason. My oem battery was going on 6+ years which I just swapped it out for peace of mind even though the stocker had no issues. A Red Top would have sufficed given that my stereo upgrades don't need that much juice, but I grabbed the Yellow Top at Costco for the heck of it.

-2023 Honda Odyssey Elite
    -2019 F31 Individual (M-Sport, Prem, Exec, Track)
    -2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M

I think the two boxes/lids are the same. The difference is you have yellow top, I have red... I can still put the lid on. *shrug

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.