Thread: 2004 Z4 3.0 - Bluetooth or No Bluetooth

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

2004 Z4 3.0 - Bluetooth or No Bluetooth

I've read several posts with people trying to pair their phones with their '04 Z4 without any luck. I've been trying to pair my iPhone-4 without any luck

Does the car even have bluetooth capability? Well, here's what I know:

- There is a business audio stereo
    - If I press the R/T button on steering, it says Phonebook Empty
    - There is a Motorola Bluetooth Card with the manual with a 4 digit key
    - BMW Assist (SOS) is there behind the brake (inactive)

Are there other things that can be checked?
    Anyone else using Bluetooth in their '04 Z4 with an iPhone-4?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2007 328i E92
    Sounds like you have what I have - same model/year. Yes, you have Bluetooth. It was an automatic install along with the BMW Assist. No, it probably won't work with newer phones - especially the iPhone. There's an updated list at BMW NA, but I don't have the link handy to offer. You can search this forum for it and it should come up.

If you turn the key to "on" and switch your phone to Bluetooth "search", or "pairing mode" (or whatever your phone calls it), it may or may not find the BMW Bluetooth. If it does, enter that 4-digit code and you should be good to go. If the phone does not find the BMW Bluetooth, you're outta luck. (Me, too.) Sorry. Let us know if you have success.

My Cars
    2005 Z4 Roadster
    I would beg to differ. Your car sounds similar to my 2005 Z4, and I have no problems pairing it with my iPhone4. Compatibility lists are in general not very updated. Plus, there is (supposedly) only one Bluetooth technology, so you either have it (and can sync) or you don't/can't.

Try what flimsy just suggested: turn the car on, then turn on your iPhone bluetooth. It may take a few minutes before you see your car show up on your iPhone ("BMWxxxxx", where xxxxx is the last 5 digits of your VIN).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    According to my local BMW dealer it depends on the production date of your 2004. My model year 2004 Z4 3.0i production date is July 2004 and I could not get it to pair with my phone. I asked the dealer for help and they told me the bluetooth would not work because it was only supported from a production date of October 2004 and later.

When I press the R/T button, I get the same Phonebook Empty message on the radio and I also have a card that came with the car and has the bluetooth pairing code. So I was pretty sure I had functioning bluetooth. But the dealer says no.

You can find your production date by looking at the information plate on the driver's side door jamb or put the last 7 characters of you VIN into realoem.com.

One caveat: my dealer has been known to make mistakes (yes, astonishing but it's true). So the October 2004 production date thing could be wrong. I don't have any independent confirmation.

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Production Year on my car is 05/2004.
    With recent interactions with my dealer, I wouldn't really trust them on checking the Bluetooth presence. They told me the 3.0 Sports does not have rear speakers

I also tried pairing an older Motorola SLVR phone without any luck.

I am thinking of getting either the Motorola T505 or the newly released Motorola Roadster bluetooth as an alternative.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by kahmedsid View Post
    Production Year on my car is 05/2004.
    With recent interactions with my dealer, I wouldn't really trust them on checking the Bluetooth presence. They told me the 3.0 Sports does not have rear speakers

I also tried pairing an older Motorola SLVR phone without any luck.

I am thinking of getting either the Motorola T505 or the newly released Motorola Roadster bluetooth as an alternative.

I have the T505 as well as a Jabra unit. Both worked fine, but I installed the MediaBridge from Dice and in addition to hands free phone (iphone 3gs), I also play music via bluetooth. I did a mod to my ashtray and couldn't be happier. Even though the phone can connect via USB, I do bluetooth 90% of the time. Only plug in USB when I need to charge.

My Cars
    04 Oxford Green 530i SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by kahmedsid View Post
    I've read several posts with people trying to pair their phones with their '04 Z4 without any luck. I've been trying to pair my iPhone-4 without any luck

Does the car even have bluetooth capability? Well, here's what I know:

- There is a business audio stereo
    - If I press the R/T button on steering, it says Phonebook Empty
    - There is a Motorola Bluetooth Card with the manual with a 4 digit key
    - BMW Assist (SOS) is there behind the brake (inactive)

Are there other things that can be checked?
    Anyone else using Bluetooth in their '04 Z4 with an iPhone-4?

Thanks!
    Did you ever figure out one way or the other if your car has bluetooth or not? I'm pretty much in the same boat: I have a '04 Z4 3.0i w/BMW assist and Navigation.

My source of confusion stems from reading posts where people who have '04 Z4s have successfully paired their phones with their car. A few posts later, I read that '04s weren't optioned with Bluetooth at all; and to confuse me even more, I read that depending on the production month, SOME '04 Z4s did come with bluetooth capability.
    Last edited by severecaraddict; 12-12-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    2004 Oxford Green 530i SMG

My Cars
    2004 Z4 2.5l
    So my question is whether I can install a different TCU that does have Bluetooth (mine in my '04 Z4 2.5l doesn't, but does have functioning buttons on the steering wheel). BMW parts dept. seems to think this would not work, as do a couple of others in the area, but I'm just not convinced after reading through some of the threads on this site.

Any ideas? A shame not to be able to use the hardware already installed in the vehicle, especially if it just takes swapping a TCU. Also, what happens if the current TCU goes bad? Am I SOL, or do I get a new one and program it in--if this is the case, then why wouldn't switching the TCU now for one with Bluetooth work?

Thanks!