Thread: Interior lights not working on 94 318is

My Cars
    94 525i/5

Interior lights not working on 94 318is

Just picked up a 94 318is but came to a surprise tonight after trying to go to the grocery store. None of the interior lights come on. The radio lights up as well as the obc, but cluster/ac controls don't come on. I'm guessing it's the three fuses, but was wondering if there was anything else that would be wrong...

Fog lights are out as well if that matters, but all but one brake light is out, and all but one park light is out, but the reverse lights are out. Not sure if those affect anything.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    the reverse lights is probably the reverse switch in the tranny. First place to start on all the rest is the fusebox.

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    Look to the fuses. I took fuse #30 out if I remember correctly so the interior lights wouldn't stay on while working on the car. That fuse also took out one tail light or brake light. One blown fuse can cause multiple problems so check and test every fuse first. Also check the little switch above the rear view mirror to see if it is in proper location. It can turn all lights out, or turn them on when you open the door or turn them on with door closed.

My Cars
    94 525i/5
    i'll have to check the reverse switch when i get home from work. And as far as the dome lights, they work fine. It's like the speedometer and ac controls that don't light up in the night.

My Cars
    94 525i/5
    Well i checked all the fuses for the cluster lights and they all seem to be fine. I also got a new dimmer switch but that didn't solve the problem either...I have no idea about what to look for now

My Cars
    94 325is
    I was about to post a similar interior light problem, but I guess I'll start here. Hopefully we can both figure ours out.

I have a 94 as well, and the main dome light with the two map lights on the side is throwing fits. The map lights are fine but the dome light just decides to stop working and start working whenever it feels like it. Sometimes when I open the door or do anything that would make it come on, it doesn't. Sometimes it does. And sometimes it will be off and then suddenly turn on by itself. The filament is not broken so I do not know what could be the cause of this. It started about a week ago. Any help?

Yeehaw, Nascar! We gonna go straight, then we gonna turn to the left!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    Trunk-lid wiring harness: gave me similar problems & isn't hard to fix. -there's plenty written up about it.
    I was a die-hard Mercedes enthusiast... And then I drove a B'mer!

My Cars
    94 525i/5
    That's what I'm hoping it's not. But you don't think it could be the headlight switch? Cause all my other lights work. Like dome and head/tail lights. As well as the led on Inc but not it's buttons

Hmm well went through all the wires in the trunk and they all looked fine...so my next guess is the headlight switch
    Last edited by Abdulio77; 06-22-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    So- check the headlight switch (I think it's held in place by 2 screws), but there's no guarantee that's it (e36 owner's mantra: Down-Sparky!)... did you pull the lining off the trunk-lid and look in there? That's where mine were frayed: I pulled the rubber sleeve off the loom of wires & saw nothing, but inside the lid the wires had chaffed against the trunk's frame.

My Cars
    94 525i/5
    ah haha, sorry for posting too much then lol...one last time for today tho...

well I checked all the wires again, from the trunk lid to where it goes into the seats, found one where the wires were uncovered but still intact, and then put some e-tape but not the problem. took off the vent/lightswitch/fog light part and checkd the wires and they were all fine as well. Checked fuses again, and had already replaced the dimmer switch like before.

So the only thing i have not done so far is change the headlight switch (I've yet to order it). That or go through each bulb and replace them all...

Lol after that I'm officially out of options.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    You should at least check the bulbs & their sockets- the problem could also be corrosion... I had a slow left turn signal until I cleaned the taillight with a wire-brush.

Sorry you're not having much luck, I hope the last 5 days have found you well, lol.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Yeah mine havnt worked for about a month. Im used to having no dash lights now lol

My Cars
    318is 1995 coupe , manua
    my dashboard lights not working , only abs , airbag light , signal light on dashboard is working

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Start by checking all your fuses just like we told the other guy.