Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What places on the underside of the car are safe jack points?

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

What places on the underside of the car are safe jack points?

I usually use the following photo to indicate the jack points, but Cam (cnn) had a much better pic.

Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Your best bet is to jack under the differential. Place a towel or wood between your floor jack and the differential (Green dot in pic below).

Then place 2 jackstands at the usual rubber pads (Orange color). This is much safer way to do it.

Another option is build 4 layers of wood ramp (2 x 12 lumber; 6" tall) and drive the car up.
    Cam's alternative to raising the car using jacks:
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Wood ramps work great for me because I don't have to jack the car (I hate jacking the car up!). Unless you have to remove the wheels for brake jobs, wheel bearing etc., the wood ramps work great for 99% of the time you don't need to jack the car:
    - Changing Engine Oil
    - Changing Trans Oil
    - Changing Rear Diff Oil
    - Checking Exhaust
    - Brake bleeding
    - Changing O2 sensors
    - Changing Engine and Trans Mounts
    - Chassis Inspection.

Example of wood ramp (the "top landing" should be long like this pic, but the "stairs steps" can be shorter about 8" for me):

Fyi: I and many others use the rear diff as a jack point, however...
    Quote Originally Posted by gtxragtop View Post
    According to the BMW TIS, your not supposed to jack up the rear via the differential. Many do, I don't. Go buy some low profile ramps like these. I've got them and they work well. http://www.rhinoramps.com/home.html
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 06-03-2010 at 10:32 PM.

My Cars
    635csi 530i
    Evidence that raising the jack to high on one side is not good for you and the car.

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    I love ramps also, and the pic above is a great example of what you can make at home. I love my plastic ramps from Walmart that hold something like 12k pounds. I know they easily hold my Excursion.

Please stick to the standard jack pads, rear diff, front subframe, or rear subframe. Do not try jacking on the rocker panel or the unibody even though it looks like a frame. It will cave in.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    there is also a jack point on the engine subframe where it crosses under the engine.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    any time, any place
    The I6 cars do have a rubber thing on the front subframe to lift from. I dont recall seeing one on the 540i cars though. Maybe I just never looked for it.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
    The I6 cars do have a rubber thing on the front subframe to lift from. I dont recall seeing one on the 540i cars though. Maybe I just never looked for it.
    Yeps!
    My measly 525i has that center rubber jack point on the center of the front subframe.

Let find some pictures.
    Please note that if your car is significantly lower, it will be VERY hard to find a jack to reach far enough to that front center jack point.

Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    I love ramps also, and the pic above is a great example of what you can make at home. I love my plastic ramps from Walmart that hold something like 12k pounds. I know they easily hold my Excursion.

Please stick to the standard jack pads, rear diff, front subframe, or rear subframe. Do not try jacking on the rocker panel or the unibody even though it looks like a frame. It will cave in.
    Yeps!
    I also have the plastic Walmart ramps too.
    However, I am only able to use them on the rear (backing up onto the ramps) since my car is so low, the car pushes the ramps out of the way when trying to drive forward onto the ramps.

Also, I think the plastic ramps I have are a little flimsy, and will fold a little at the high point of the ramp.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=341672
    Bluebee's:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

Last edited by Jason5driver; 06-04-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    e39 540:

Is that an e28 rolled over in the 2nd pic?
    Last edited by 325icintn; 06-04-2010 at 12:20 PM.

My Cars
    88 535is/89 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by 325icintn View Post
    e39 540:

Is that an e28 rolled over in the 2nd pic?

I don't believe so. My e28 has a center exit exhaust, and so does every other e28 I have wrenched on as well. Possibly an e30 four door?

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    I don't believe so. My e28 has a center exit exhaust, and so does every other e28 I have wrenched on as well. Possibly an e30 four door?
    It is an E30.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    where does one jack the rear of an e39? Safe on the diff housing? Or forward of the diff on the chassis? Thanks.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    If you're not comfortable under the diff with a piece of wood between the jack and the diff, then you can jack up the same way under the swing arms - do one side at a time and then place your jack stands in the usual place.

Or you can jack up using the jack point on the rocker panel, and then place the jack stand using part of the sub-frame.
    Last edited by gmak; 06-05-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    where does one jack the rear of an e39? Safe on the diff housing? Or forward of the diff on the chassis? Thanks.
    The diff housing (see #3 in BMW info below)...but NOT on the diff's cover!!!!

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    The diff housing (see #3 in BMW info below)...but NOT on the diff's cover!!!!

I was frustrated with the '03 because the trick of lifting at the front jack point until the rear is off the ground, didn't work! It worked for the '00 Sport but NOT the M-sport. After seeing this post from Q, I decided it was safe and as you can guess, it worked like a charm. Maybe one shouldn't do it too often but doing it occasionally appears to be safe enough...

Someone mentioned that it could potentially damage the subframe or diff bushings but so far, everything is golden.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    98 m3, 00 525i
    Peel back the plastic that covers fuel filter, and the other side which covers brake lines.

Once this is done. The frame will be exposed. Put the jack stands under the frame evenly. And make sure all of the legs on the jack stands are touching the floor.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yeah, aside from the main jacking points you have to go past the fuel lines and the brake lines to the frame which is safe to jack the car up. However, you want to use a block of wood for a larger contact area for a wide spread support on the frame to jack it up; otherwise, there is a possibility of pinching it first with just using a hydraulic jack and then pushing it up into the cabin's floor.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwpower603 View Post
    Peel back the plastic that covers fuel filter, and the other side which covers brake lines.

Once this is done. The frame will be exposed. Put the jack stands under the frame evenly. And make sure all of the legs on the jack stands are touching the floor.
    WAAAY too much work unless for some reason you don't want to use the factory jack points (like you're going to work on them or the rockers). Use the diff, or, as Gmak says, find a suspension point and do left/right individually.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    From my thread:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...l-on-an-E39-I6

Rear/ hiney is in the air/ jacked up:

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thanks a bunch guys/gals! I was going to jack it up via the diff housing or by each rear subframe bushing (smaller not as convenient area). To replace the oil pan gasket, in addition to dropping the front subframe, should I also disconnect tie rods and rods going to the steering knuckle? Or is there enough clearance just by dropping the subframe?

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Thanks a bunch guys/gals! I was going to jack it up via the diff housing or by each rear subframe bushing (smaller not as convenient area). To replace the oil pan gasket, in addition to dropping the front subframe, should I also disconnect tie rods and rods going to the steering knuckle? Or is there enough clearance just by dropping the subframe?
    IIIRC, read somewhere (or was it an E39soure video?) that you don't even need to remove the subframe bolts completely - that you undo the front ones on each side almost to coming out, then the middle ones a little less, and finally the back ones only as much as needed. This apparently gives clearance for the oil pan to come out.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    ok good to know thanks! Have lots of tools. Just need to block off time to tackle this. In e36-land suspension bushings/ball joints need to be replaced every 80-100k or so. What's the service interval on the e39s? m52 auto at 99k miles.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can always put the front on ramps and go under to look for leaky bushings - use a pry bar to see how much movement. Same pry bar for the ball joints. If you have a vibration in the steering wheel at arout 70 mph, then it's the thrust arm bushings. Wheel shimmy could be control arm or tie rod ends. Clunking.... get under the car and look (rinse and repeat).

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    No need to remove the tie rods.
    Did you look at these threads?:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nt-illustrated

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...mies-2002-530i

And this on YouTube by "the 50's Kid":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1c2wfo4-jw
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 06-06-2017 at 01:16 PM.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thanks! I'm in the middle of this... how many of you removed:

brake calipers
    abs sensor connectors from plastic housings
    steering rack from subframe
    struts from strut towers

I've been reading various DIY instructions, and there is no consensus. I have a bentley manual, but it doesn't mention any of these items. Another DIY mentions disconnecting the control arms and thrust arms (no need to mess with brake calipers or struts). I think this method makes the most sense...Thoughts?

I'm at a point where I can unbolt the rack and unbolt the subrame to drop it. Thanks again!
    Last edited by scooper; 06-22-2017 at 11:50 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Follow the threads I linked above.
    Especially "Texas530i".

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Yeah that is one of the DIYs I'm following. I have to decide if I'm going to disconnect the thrust and control arms or lower the struts and remove the brake parts.... I think disconnecting the arms would be easier...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast