Thread: Volume Control Knob won't control the volume Hmm...

My Cars
    BMW 330i ZHP

Volume Control Knob won't control the volume Hmm...

So like 3 days ago I was driving my car and went to turn the volume down via the little knob on the head unit in the center console (what was the correct name for it again? ) and for some reason the Knob will turn, but not control the volume at all. It still turns the Stereo on and off tho.

It was fine literally 2 hours beforehand so I don't have ANY idea what it is. The unit has no dead pixels and has never posed problems of any kind. This is the first.

I guess I'm asking is there a way to fix it, or should I just look to buy a new unit? I'm not a big wiring guru , but my dad is so if there is anything wrong with the wiring I could probably get that fixed. Need ideas/suggestions tho!

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    I just went through this with my home stereo. Modern stereo has the volume button that can "turn forever", compared the the older type of radio volume button that starts and stops at specific places.

This "electronic" volume knob is known as "volume encoder", which basically sends an electronic signal to the radio so the volume goes up or down.

FYI, the Pioneer Home Stereo thread is here:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=153905

I doubt if BMW sells a separate volume encoder for that (you may find it at some electronics store).

Best is to swap a known radio, if it works, then your radio is bad.
    A source for used radio is ebay.

PS: Pull the volume knob out and adjust the volume using only the metal spindle, does it work? It it does, then the knob is bad:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231586

And here:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=645059
    Last edited by cnn; 05-27-2010 at 12:34 PM.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    This happened to me once. Turns out the knob was not properly seated. Pull it out until you remove it, and then put it in place again, firmly. You should have a fully working volume knob, if not, do what cnn suggested.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Do you have volume control on your steering wheel? If so...
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    E39 540I
    This happens to me atleast once every 2 months. Just yank your negative battery terminal, let sit for 20+ minutes, re-affix negative battery terminal, enjoy working volume control knob.

Another one of the E39's quirks.

MODS: DIY intake, Res delete, Magnaflow #14816, Magnaflow cats, SSK, OEM M5 LUK clutch & PP, JBR LTWFW, Stage III driver

My Cars
    Non-BMW gas saver
    My friend's volume knob in his e46 is funky also. Try to turn it down fast and it'll turn up. I removed it and the teeth/grooves on the knob itself are pretty much stripped. Make sure the knob is seated well like stated above, and has a bite on the shaft that comes out of the unit.