Thread: How much will a soft top cost to fix or replace?

My Cars
    98 Bmw E36 M3 Vert

How much will a soft top cost to fix or replace?

I have an 1998 bmw e36 m3 convertible and from Connecticut. I got quoted to replace the soft top for new one with the sewed in rear window (topsonline brand), tension straps and string kit and all for like $1000 labor included. But If I keep my current soft top and have it removed and replace the rear window and get all my stitching redone it came out to $650 with labor. So im confuse with deciding which way to go for all new but no rear window zipper or keep the old soft and still have the rear window options to changed it a few yrs. Help anyone!!!! If go for the aftermarket soft top which is good with the stock cloth materials: toponline, I saw ebay has alot of soft for sale but not sure the quality and fitment of the top? Also Im planning on getting it professional done because I won't know what I'm doing at all. Anyone have any placing in getting the material for cheap or for a reasonable price. thanks Ronny
    Last edited by djron; 05-26-2010 at 01:06 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by djron View Post
    I have an 1998 bmw e36 m3 convertible and from Connecticut. I got quoted to replace the soft top for new one with the sewed in rear window (topsonline brand), tension straps and string kit and all for like $1000 labor included. But If I keep my current soft top and have it removed and replace the rear window and get all my stitching redone it came out to $650 with labor. So im confuse with deciding which way to go for all new but no rear window zipper or keep the old soft and still have the rear window options to changed it a few yrs. Help anyone!!!! If go for the aftermarket soft top which is good with the stock cloth materials: toponline, I saw ebay has alot of soft for sale but not sure the quality and fitment of the top? Also Im planning on getting it professional done because I won't know what I'm doing at all. Anyone have any placing in getting the material for cheap or for a reasonable price. thanks Ronny
    $1K in Connecticut sounds like a good price. I did my own with topsonline and it was about $530 with straps and all. I wouldn't worry about the lack of a zip window. More than likely this window will outlast the car. Windows last a long time if you take care of them. My first one lasted 12 years, and it still looked good when I replaced the top. The fabric on your current top is 12 year old and it is more than likely fried.

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by ECUBMW View Post
    $1K in Connecticut sounds like a good price. I did my own with topsonline and it was about $530 with straps and all. I wouldn't worry about the lack of a zip window. More than likely this window will outlast the car. Windows last a long time if you take care of them. My first one lasted 12 years, and it still looked good when I replaced the top. The fabric on your current top is 12 year old and it is more than likely fried.

X2. I replaced my own top with topsonline, came out nice and wasn't that difficult to do. Mine cost ~$560 top and straps, and I also had to buy a pop rivet gun and rivets. I got the top with the plastic tabs, which made installation much easier IMO.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1998 328ic
    For the $350 difference I would go with all new. Resewing the old will have you back to replacing the top in a year(?) anyway. Sell the good zipper window to recoup some costs!
    David in Central Texas
    My 36............................................My 35...........................................My 54

My Cars
    98 Bmw E36 M3 Vert
    Thanks alot guys yeah that what im planning on doing and everyone says they have a topsonline.com on thier soft so I guest thats the best company by so far. I am also looking for a hardtop for my vert anyone know of any for sale black or silver would prefer but willing to buy any color for a reasonable price so.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323iConvertible

Location!

Quote Originally Posted by djron View Post
    I have to replace my top to and you said you were located in CT what's the name of the auto body shop you went to? I'm located in RI.

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    What's awesome is 110Reef is in my hometown and said he'll only charge me $200 labor to install my new top. THANKS REEF!

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashland View Post
    What's awesome is 110Reef is in my hometown and said he'll only charge me $200 labor to install my new top. THANKS REEF!
    I will help you do it if you want. I have the pop rivet gun. I bet I could do it in half the time it took me the first time.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1999 M3 vert 2001 325XiT
    Wish I could find a place around here to do it for a grand 2K here in the Philadelphia Pa area

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Replacing your canvas top is easy. You can do it in a weekend. It could probably be done in one single very long day. Everyone looks at it as this massive job and it isn't

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...new-canvas-top

If you can do any work at all on these cars you can swap out your top.

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Replacing your canvas top is easy. You can do it in a weekend. It could probably be done in one single very long day. Everyone looks at it as this massive job and it isn't

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...new-canvas-top

If you can do any work at all on these cars you can swap out your top.

Absolutely correct!
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1999 M3 vert 2001 325XiT
    I hear ya just got to be in the right mindset and motivation

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328i conv
    had mine replaced last fall, 2k in jersey.