Thread: How to reset brake light out on dashboard ?

My Cars
    01 530i

How to reset brake light out on dashboard ?

I have a 01 530 and earlier this week the brake light symbol came on he dashboard dispaly. I found a burned out bulb, replaced it but the brake light out display on the dash remains. Is there a reset procedure ? I checked the manual and searched this forum without any luck.

Thanks for any replies.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 525I
    okay so the brake light is from your brake pad sensors going bad, if you changed your brake pad sensors and the light is still on do the following.....

turn the key on all the way on the "ON" position but dont start the car

leave the key like that for about a 1 min or 2 then twist the key onto the off position and take it out.

now put the key back in the ON position and the light should be gone

if 1 min dosnt turn it off keep it on for longer...

same thing happend to my car.... after changing the part you have to let the computer figure out that the problem no longer exists

hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
    I have a 01 530 and earlier this week the brake light symbol came on he dashboard dispaly. I found a burned out bulb, replaced it but the brake light out display on the dash remains. Is there a reset procedure ? I checked the manual and searched this forum without any luck.

Thanks for any replies.

burned out blub??? what light are you talking about
    its not a blub it should be a sensor that hooks up by the the brake pads..

Emergency Brake light? or a red Light that says Brake??? im guessing its the brake light not the E brake....

when your brake pads wear out there is a sensor on the pads that starts griding on the rotor and the light goes on on the dash... it means basically your pads are in a bad shape you need to change them...

when you change the pads or are buying them make sure to get sensors for the pads as well... dont just replace the pads you got to replace the sensor as well...
    Last edited by E39SB; 05-14-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    01 530i
    It looked like the brake light sensor on the dash display. it shows the car image with a red light displayed at the back passenger side. It was a burned out brake light bulb. I'll try turning the key on and off then back on and see if that resets it.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    The high OBD display tells me about my bulbs. The brake symbol warning indicator in the cluster itself signals something different, if memory serves.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 525I
    where is the brake light located on the cluster?

is it in the middle where the traction control is? or on the right and bottom corner?

My Cars
    01 530i
    The light is at the back bottom corner of the car ( in the display ).

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 525I
    The light is at the back bottom corner of the car ( in the display ).

no i mean where is the light located on the DISPLAY...

for example you see where it writes your miles and the tripp where the seat belt light is... there... i want to know where exactly the light that is being displayed...

i figure its your back pad sensors im guessing but please tell me on the cluster, behind your wheel where the light is displayed... such as by the seat belt light or where fog lights are displayed....

My Cars
    01 530i
    It's not in the area of the traction control, it shows at the back of the car on the display of the car. And a bulb was burned out so this makes sense, I had a bulb out.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Just can't make no connection...

~Ronnie Montrose

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 525I
    It's not in the area of the traction control, it shows at the back of the car on the display of the car. And a bulb was burned out so this makes sense, I had a bulb out.

do you see where the 3 lights are displayed??? on the left hand corner??/
    tell me where your cars display is at.. at the right? middle? left??????

i think this is what i was looking for

its most likley your brake light is out.. change it

Last edited by E39SB; 05-14-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    E39SB, I know you're trying to help, but you're making a mess out of this thread.

deputybubba, you have the low-obc, with a car drawing in the cluster and one of your brake lights went out. You changed it and the light remains. There is no way to "reset" it. It will reset as soon as you change all the burnt bulbs. If you re-read the manual you will see that when your third brake light goes out, the right (passenger) indicator in the dashboard is also activated. I'm pretty sure your third brake light is also dead. Check it and post back.
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 05-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    '01 530i s/p/5spd
    Just when I was doing a search regarding brake light going off

My right side brake lights up (the pic with car) and I thought it was a burnt bulb. I've checked all bulbs and everything is in working order. Now that you mentioned brake sensors, I will have to go to my indy shop and have him check it out since I replace brake system with new rotors, pads, sensors, and SS lines on all 4 corners 2 weeks ago.

Hmmmm....re-reading thread. I never checked the 3rd brake light..........
    Last edited by silverE39; 05-14-2010 at 06:32 PM.

OEM M5 F Bumper | EuroDyne R Bumper | Magnaflow Exhaust Manifold and Full Cat-Back Exhaust | Koni+H&R Sport | CDV Deleted | Eibach f/r sway bars
    Hard-wired V1 Radar | E60 shifter w/ZHP shift knob | 18x9 Style 42 | Bridgestone RE970AS 255/35 | Zimmermann XDrilled F/R w/Akebono Euro Pads
    35% Madico tint | Infinity Basslink | E0n0n D5124Z Navi | Thule Bike Rack

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by silverE39 View Post
    Just when I was doing a search regarding brake light going off

My right side brake lights up (the pic with car) and I thought it was a burnt bulb. I've checked all bulbs and everything is in working order. Now that you mentioned brake sensors, I will have to go to my indy shop and have him check it out since I replace brake system with new rotors, pads, sensors, and SS lines on all 4 corners 2 weeks ago.
    You guys with the low-OBC have the same dedicated brake sensor light than us. As far as I know the indicator in the car drawing is just for burnt bulbs. I'm positive the OP's case is just the third brake light or a bulb with a loose filament.

From the manual (low-OBC):

Check Control
    Graphic display*
    The following alerts or status messages
    are displayed symbolically from ignition
    key position 2 and up until the defects
    are corrected:
    1 Check lowbeam, highbeam and
    parking lamps
    2 Add washer fluid
    (goes out after approx. 1 minute)
    3 Door open
    4 Luggage compartment lid/tailgate
    open
    5 Check brake and tail lamps.
    A defective center tail lamp is indicated
    by the upper symbol
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 05-14-2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    01 530i
    Yes I have the low-OBC, and I have replaced the defective bulb and it works so any idea why the bad bulb indicator won't shut off ?
    Thanks

Thanks I'll try looking at the third brake light.

yup that was it, looks like a passenger side brake light and the third brake light. My owners manuel said nothing about the 3rd light showing as the passenger on the display. Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by deputybubba; 05-14-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost