Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 DSC / ABS Confusion Need clarification

My Cars
    2000 528i

E39 DSC / ABS Confusion Need clarification

528i sedan, year 2000, E39 motor

My dealer told me that the reason that my ABS and DSC dash lights are constantly on is that my DSC Control Unit is shorted out. (Speedometor is also not working.) Only $1,600 USD for the fix. How kind of them.

I have read great threads here - thanks to all - Before I order a Bosch 5.7 ABS Module I'm left with a few questions however.

1. Is there a difference between the DSC module and the ABS module? Might they be one in the same?

2. Would you recommend buying a new one or trying to have the faulty one replaced? The threads are a bit confusing regarding the success rate of those repaired.

3. Where can I have this repared or purchase a new one? current threads lead to somw websites no longer working.

4. One of the treads mentioned that a Stearing Angle Sensor can be a problem. What is this, how do I tell if it is a problem, and if it is a problem what are my options.

Thank you once again for your help! I'm sooooo glad that i found this website.

Doug

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Doug,

Are you sure it's not just a bad wheel speed sensor or the ground wire connection from the module?

My Cars
    2000 528i
    I purchased one new wheel sensor. Rear left and right rear wheel sensors were replaced one at a time to no avail. The new sensor did nothing.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    What about the ground connection from the module to the body in the engine compartment?

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Thanks Jame, I did not check the ground connection and the car won;t be with me untill tomorrow. It's still at the dealer. Is it fair to assume that the ground is easy to identify?

My Cars
    E34 M5
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmR9ul9Q7aM[/ame]

That's a vid that shows some symptoms and the fix. I would imagine the symptoms vary as the current does.
    1991 M5 (in progress)

Restoring an old BMW, God help me.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Thanks for the video James.....amazing. Can't wait to get my car back and try this one out.

Can you answer my first question. i'm still quroius. it is "1. Is there a difference between the DSC module and the ABS module? Might they be one in the same?"

Best, d

My Cars
    '00 528iA, '01 325iA
    Check if you have a connection from the ABS module to the left rear sensor (controls the speedo). I had a break in the wire about 3" up behind the fender liner.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoDoug View Post
    Thanks for the video James.....amazing. Can't wait to get my car back and try this one out.

Can you answer my first question. i'm still quroius. it is "1. Is there a difference between the DSC module and the ABS module? Might they be one in the same?"

Best, d
    You're welcome, but boondocksaint posted the vid, not me.
    I think the DSC and ABS modules are the same thing as far as I know (which is not that much).
    If you want to learn more about the ABS module, read up on it below.
    Why are my Traction Control (ASC/DSC) and Anti-Lock Brake (ABS) lights illuminated?

Keith really is the expert on the ABS module, but bluebees thread is pretty informative.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=48
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
    Here is my attempt at combining information for our ABS DIY repair writeup in a single post:
    Credit: Extensive leverage from other sources; as new information comes in, I will update this post as long as it will let me.
    Future: Maybe someone can put a copy of this in the DIY section after it's properly reviewed for mistakes.

CLASSIC ABS FAILURE SYMPTOMS:
    - Most of the time, the problem is the ABS module or one of the 4 wheel speed sensors (& sometimes the brake pressure sensor)
    - In my 2002 BMW E39 DSC, three orange (warning) cluster display lights lit, ABS, Brake, & DSC
    - The 3 warning lights reset when the ignition is turned off, only to repeatedly reappear within minutes of normal driving
    - The fault is often intermittent leading you to falsely believe you've resolved the problem (proper diagnosis is important)
    - Sometimes the fault only appears when the engine is hot; other times only at speeds over 40 mph
    - Carsoft may erroneously show a rear speed sensor failure; but just replacing the speed sensor may make no difference.
    - All the work is in correct diagnosis of the problem[/URL]; parts replacement is trivial (from 1 to six bolts in a few minutes)
    - Hence, this BMW E39 ABS 3-warning light DIY will concentrate on understanding and diagnosis of the problem

FALSE ALARM SANITY CHECK:

If you recently drove on ice, a dynamometer, or on another very slippery surface, the car may just think the system has malfunctioned.
    - Driving a few miles on a regular surface should fix the problem.
    - Another fix is to slowly turn the steering wheel from completely left to completely right, then back again.
    - The warning lights will reset whenever you turn the car off (but go back on if the fault persists)
    BMW DESIGN PROBLEM:
    - The E39 ABS module was mounted too close to engine heat causing solder cracks & fried electronics
    - The 4 wheel sensors and wires are exposed to the elements and to shocks/vibration
    - The 3 steering yaw sensors seem pretty well protected from both hazards but they may need recalibration[/URL]
    Note: Apparently newer-model BMWs moved the ABS module further away from engine heat (need confirmation)
    FLOW CHART OF RECOMMENDED ACTIONS:
    0) Watch, for a few days, speedo, odometer, tripmeter, cruise control, transmission, & ABS/BRAKE/DSC light activity
    1) If ABS/BRAKE/DSC constantly comes back, test the 4 wheel sensor circuits from the ABS module connector
    2) If any sensor circuit shows up as bad, test that specific sensor itself at that wheel (otherwise skip to step 5)
    3) If the wheel sensor still shows up as bad, first remove, clean, grease, and re-install that sensor
    4) If it still tests bad, then replace the sensor
    5) If the sensors are good, test the ABS circuit with the Carsoft or Peake tools (or just assume a bad ABS module)
    6) If the Carsoft or Peake tools indicate a different sensor, test & replace that sensor (e.g., pressure, yaw, acceleration, etc.)
    7) Otherwise, assume your ABS module is the culprit (some say get your ABS module rebuilt anyway as it's going to go eventually)
    8) If your ABS module is suspected, you have only the following 5 options:
    - OPTION 0: You can do nothing and just not have ABS or DSC (not a good choice for anyone on this message board)
    - OPTION 1: You can attempt a 3-part rebuild yourself (unfortunately we don't have enough information to help you yet)
    - OPTION 2: You can send your module out for a rebuild (about 1/3 to 1/2 can be rebuilt but you'll have no speedo in the interim)
    - OPTION 3: You can buy a rebuilt module (you'll have to add approximately $100 for a VIN recode at the dealer)
    - OPTION 4: You can buy a brand new module (you'll again have to pay for a BMW dealership recoding to your VIN)
    Note: Most people don't deal with testing the other 15 items; they just opt for sending their ABS module out to be rebuilt, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because generally it is the ABS and even if it isn't, some argue it's not a bad idea to rebuild even a working ABS.
    READ THE SHOP MANUAL: ( http://www.bentleypublishers.com/isb...179/index.html )
    - For DSC pinouts, see Volume II, page ELE-15 of ABS/DSC controle module (A65) (2 sensors in the front and 2 in the rear)
    - For ASC pinouts, see Volume II, page ELE-21 of ABS/ASC controle module (A52) (only 1 sensor in the front and 1 in the rear)
    - For ABS/ASC/DSC system operation, see Volume I, page 300-12 (it's not all that useful though)
    - For ABS/ASC/DSC system components, see Volume I, page 340-26 (again, not all that useful if you have this)
    READ BMW MANUALS:
    - Bosch DSC part 1[/URL], Bosch DSC part II[/URL] (kindly supplied[/URL] by Max_VQ[/URL])
    READ THESE ARTICLES:
    - http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/ABS/Index.htm
    - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=600452
    - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1230488
    - http://cparente.wordpress.com/2008/1...o-abs-problem/
    - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=363554
    - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...39#post4202239
    etc.
    UNDERSTAND DIGITAL MULTIMETER (DMM) TEST BASICS:
    - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/2.html

GATHER SEAT-OF-THE-PANTS DATA:

- Note exactly which warning indicators are lit (e.g., ABS & BRAKE & DSC)
    - Note whether cruise control is working or not (sometimes implicates the passenger-side rear sensor)
    - Note whether the speedometer (hence odometer & tripmeter) is working (sometimes implicates the driver-side rear sensor)
    - Note "free play", "dead spots", & "centering" of the steering wheel (sometimes implicates steering column sensors)
    - Note if normal ABS pulsation (ABS working) or skidding (ABS not working) when hard braking on sandy shoulders at 15 mph
    - Note if violent shudder[/URL] (ABS working) or screech (ABS not working) when firm braking on top of speed bumps at 5mph
    Note: It's not always just the sensor when the speedometer is also out with the 3 lights (the key is diagnosis)
    ACKNOWLEDGE ALL POSSIBLE (20) & MOST LIKELY (2) CULPRITS:
    • 1 BOSCH DC III Control Module 83 Pin (combined with the hydraulic unit in my E39, DSC III Bosch 5.7) <==COMMON CULPRIT!
    • 1 Hydraulic Unit (combined with the control module in my E39, DSC III Bosch 5.7)
    • Hydraulic Unit contains: 2 pre-charge solenoid valves
    • Hydraulic Unit contains: 2 changeover solenoid valves
    • Hydraulic Unit contains: 4 intake solenoid valves
    • Hydraulic Unit contains: 4 outlet solenoid valves
    • Hydraulic Unit contains: 1 return pump
    • 2 Front Wheel Speed Sensors (Active Hall Effect) in the steering knuckles, secured with two 4 mm allen bolts <==COMMON CULPRIT!
    • 2 Rear Wheel Speed Sensors (Active Hall Effect) in the rear wheel bearing carriers, secured with one 4 mm allen bolt <==COMMON CULPRIT!
    • 1 Hydraulic Pressure Sensor (attached to the front-brake hydraulic unit in my E39, DSC III Bosch 5.7) <==MY PROBLEM!
    • 1 Steering Angle Sensor (located in the bottom of the steering column, near the flexible coupling)
    • 1 Rotation Rate, aka Yaw Sensor (combined with the lateral-acceleration sensor in my E39, DSC III Bosch 5.7)
    • 1 Lateral Acceleration Sensor (combined with the yaw sensor in my E39, DSC III Bosch 5.7)
    • 1 DSC Switch (located below the radio in the cockpit)
    • 1 Hand Brake Switch (located on the hand brake assembly)
    • 1 Brake Switch (located on the brake-pedal assembly)
    • 1 Pre-Charging Pump
    • 1 Charging Piston (750iL only)
    PHOTOGRAPH OF THE MOST LIKELY CULPRITS:

GATHER DESIRED TOOLS:
    - Print this DIY out, bring a pencil to mark down your readings, and a drink
    - Digital multi meter (DMM) with a diode-test capability & long, very narrow probes
    - About six inches of 20 AWG stiff wire (to attach to your DMM probes and to the female ABS connector)
    - A small piece of white or yellow tape so that you can label the positive stiff wire (to avoid confusion with the negative probe)
    - T20 six-point Torx bit in a 1/4" socket with a 6" extension for removing the ABS control module
    - 4mm allen wrench for removing the front wheel sensors
    - Torque wrench (see torque tables below) for replacing components
    - For rear sensors, a 10 mm socket, 8 mm socket, flat-head screwdriver, and needle-nose pliers might be required to remove trim.
    - 1/4-inch wide 6-inch long standard flathead screwdriver for removing ABS harness connector clip
    - CRC cleaner (or equivalent brake cleaner)
    - Staburags NBU 12/K or equivalent grease (for speed sensors and connections in the housings)

GATHER OPTIONAL TOOLS:

- (maybe) 10mm socket for removing air filter box (easier access for some E39 models)
    - Carsoft 6.5 or Peake Research or equivalent OBDII diagnostic scanner
    - Oscilloscope (look for millivolt square waves coming from powered sensors as the wheel turns)
    - Note: Carsoft 6.5 can't perform encoding, activation, or steering adjustments.
    - Note: Bad ABS modules often report erroneous indications of a bad RR sensor in the OBD scanner reports
    - Note: You must use new bolts for the ABS Control Module (according to the Bentleys)

PRICE OEM PARTS:

- Repair kit, control unit DSC, $1,120 + $112 (~10% tax) = $1,232 (often colloquially referred to as the "ABS control unit")
    - Wheel sensors, front, $134 x 2 = $268 + $27 (~10% tax) = $295 total (some suggested EAC tuning for wheel sensors)
    - Wheel sensors rear, $201 x 2 = = $402 + $40 (~10% tax) = $442 total (some suggested AutoHauz for wheel sensors)
    - Front brake pressure sensor, $111 + 10% tax = ~$125 (measures 0-250bars of front-brake pressure, outputs 0-5 volts)
    - Steering angle (yaw) sensors (in the steering wheel column or under driver's seat) ~$250 each (almost never needed)
    - Hydro unit, DSC, $2,003 x 1 + $200 (~10% tax) = $2,013 (this "hydro unit" behind the ABS control unit is almost never at fault)
    Note: If you replace the ABS module, you'll also need a $100 dealership recoding to your VIN & steering angles calibrated (apparently)
    PRICE REBUILDING OF YOUR ABS MODULE:
    - Module Masters ($105) http://www.modulemaster.com/en/abs/ate_bmw_asc.php
    - BBA Remanufacturing (8 days, $225) http://www.bba-reman.com
    - Auto & Truck Electronics ($105) EBAY seller's ID ATE1234, lifetime warranty, free shipping, quick turnaround
    - Note: A rebuild of your ABS unit won't require VIN coding, activation, or steering angle calibration
    PRICE A REBUILT ABS MODULE FROM ANOTHER VEHICLE:
    - For a rebuilt part, most suggest oembimmerparts.com[/URL], one of our sponsors[/URL], at about $450 + $45 tax = $500
    - Note: A rebuilt ABS unit from another vehicle requires a $100 dealership VIN recoding effort
    QUESTION: What happens if you don't code the VIN & check steering angles ... (does the car blow up?)
    CONSIDER FIXING IT YOURSELF (we need much more details to make this option viable):
    - Open up the module & look for broken solder joints which can be sucked and resoldered (take pictures)
    - Add point-to-point wiring where needed (we need more information to make this actionable)
    - Replace diodes and any other weak parts with more robust parts (again, not very useful unless we know exactly what)
    - Post before and after pictures so each of us can learn from the rest
    CHECK BMW ERROR CODES:
    - Locate the OBDII port, by law, in the cockpit, within 3 feet of the driver (above the driver's left knee in American BMWs)
    - Hook up Carsoft[/URL] or Peake diagnostic tools[/URL] to the OBDII port to determine any error codes
    - Cross reference Carsoft error codes[/URL] with the list of Bosch 5.7 error codes listed bellow (kindly supplied by Max_VQ[/URL])
    Note: Some say this check is of dubious value because a bad ABS module may show up as a bad rear sensor[/URL]; always test the sensor itself!
    BMW ABS/ASC Bosch[/URL] 5.7 Table of error codes:[/URL]
    5 Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor
    6 Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor
    7 Front Left Wheel Speed Sensor
    14 Solenoid Valve Relay (check fuses 17 & 33)
    15 Pressure Sensor/Pump Error
    21 Module Memory Failure - ABS/ASC module is faulty
    23 Incorrect Coding - ABS/ASC module is faulty
    24 Wrong Impulse
    30 Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor
    31 Open Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor
    32 Open Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor
    33 Open Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor
    50 Right Front Outlet Valve - ABS/ASC module is faulty
    51 Left Rear Outlet Valve - ABS/ASC module is faulty
    54 Left Front Inlet Valve - ABS/ASC module is faulty
    55 ASC Intake Valve - ABS/ASC module is faulty
    58 Gear Box Control Unit (CAN bus error)
    59 DMER1 (CAN bus error)
    61 Steering Angle Sensor Identification
    66 Speed Sensor Voltage Supply
    67 Intermittent Interference
    75 Engine Speed Fault from DME
    81 Pressure Sensor
    82 Open Yaw Rate Sensor
    86 ASC Cut-off Valve Rear Axle
    88 Precharge Pump
    89 Low Voltage
    90 Temporary System Deactivation
    94 DDE Fault/Yaw rate sensor
    97 Steering Angle Sensor
    10 Brake Light Switch
    108 SN Control
    112 Open CAN to Instrument Cluster
    114 Pressure Sensor Offset
    117 Brake Light Switch Failure
    118 DME Status-Internal Error
    REMOVE ABS-MODULE CONNECTOR:
    - Facing the engine, slide the plastic retaining clip to the right with a 1/4 inch flathead screwdriver.
    - It is a plastic retaining clip, so do be careful not to break it; it slides over about 1 1/4 inches or so.
    - Once the clip is fully to the right, lift the electrical connector up
    - Notice the female (blue) connector with 42 holes (and very tiny lettering)
    - DO NOT STICK YOUR TEST LEAD INTO THE SQUARE HOLES!
    (Only put test leads into the larger rectangular holes next to the square holes.)

NOTE ABS-MODULE PINOUT: (notice the test lead holes)
    - Each wheel sensor circuit has a set of two wires in the ABS connector (pinout[/URL] kindly supplied by 540iman[/URL])
    - ABS-connector pins 13,29 = Left rear wheel sensor (also affects speedometer & odometer & tripmeter)
    - ABS-connector pins 30,31 = Right rear wheel sensor (also affects cruise control)
    - ABS-connector pins 28,12 = Left front wheel sensor (some say it also acts as a steering angle sensor[/URL])
    - ABS-connector pins 15,16 = Right front wheel sensor (tells gearbox electronics how fast you're going[/URL])
    Note: These pinouts are in the same order of the diode action of each sensor (do not reverse these numbers)
    Note: Don't confuse with the brake pad wear sensor, which is only located on the front left & rear right wheel & which uses a black connector.
    Note: ASC cars have only two sensors, one on the front right and the other on the rear left wheel.

UNDERSTAND WHEEL SPEED SENSORS:
    Note: The wheel speed sensors are two-wire hall effect transducers which send a digital square wave signal with a low of .75 volts and a high of 2.5 volts to the DSC control unit. Each sensor receives a well-regulated 8 volt power supply from the control module through one wire. The ground path for the sensor is through the second wire back to the control module. The signal is generated by a pulse wheel affecting the voltage flow through the hall element in the sensor. The pulse wheel is integrated into the wheel bearing assembly, behind the seal. This protects the trigger wheel from foreign substances which may affect the wheel speed signal.

TEST WHEEL SENSOR CIRCUIT FROM THE ABS CONNECTOR
    (also checks wiring circuit):
    OPTIONAL: Jack car up (so that all four wheels can be spun to test voltage & resistance fluctuations of the hall-effect sensors)
    - Turn the car off and remove the key from the ignition.
    - TEST 1: Switch the DMM into the diode test position
    - Wrap a stiff 20AWG wire onto the ends of your DMM probe for sticking into ABS-connector pins
    - Label the positive 20AWG wire with white tape so that you won't get confused as you switch back and forth
    - Stick the ends of the wire into the appropriate female holes of the ABS connector (13-29, 30-31, 28-12, 15-16)
    - In one direction, you should see 1.7 to 1.8 volts (note the pinouts mentioned are in order, positive to negative)
    - In the other direction, you should see OL or some other infinite reading (open circuit)
    - TEST 2: Switch the DMM into resistance checking mode (optional)
    - You should see around 3.3 Mega ohms in one direction & approximately twice that in the other direction (but some say more[/URL])
    - TEST 3: If desired spin the wheel at about 1 revolution per second[/URL], by hand (the resistance should fluctuate as the wheel spins[/URL])
    - TEST 4: Switch the DMM into millivolt mode (optional) & again spin the tire & wheel assembly by hand (test-lead polarity won't matter)
    - You should read between 1 and 5 mV when you spin the hub[/URL] (no voltage implicate the sensor or circuit)
    - OPTIONAL TESTS BELOW REQUIRE FLYING LEADS WITH THE IGNITION SYSTEM ABS SYSTEM CONNECTED & POWERED UP:
    - TEST 5: Swith the DMM into the 10v and attach flying leads to the sensors with the power on
    - You should see the voltage going to the sensor and the return signal[/URL]
    - Expect a baseline voltage of about +5 to +12 volts depending on the ABS system (does anyone know this value?)
    - Expect that baseline voltage to the sensor to change (by how much?) as you spin the wheels
    - TEST 6: Hook an oscilloscope with "flying leads" to the ABS sensors (notice that the ABS system must be powered)
    - You should see nice clean square waves generated as you hand spin the wheels[/URL] at about 1 revolution per second.
    Note: The oscilliscope can detect problems [/URL]that can't easily be found with a DMM (A scope pattern for a wheel speed sensor should show a classic sine wave alternating current pattern that changes both in frequency and amplitude with wheel speed. As the wheel is turned faster, signal frequency and amplitude should both increase. Damaged or missing teeth on the sensor ring will show up as flat spots or gaps in the sine wave pattern. A bent axle or hub will produce an undulating pattern that changes as the strength of the sensor signal changes with every revolution. If the scope pattern produced by the sensor is flattened (diminished amplitude) or is erratic, it usually indicates a weak signal caused by an excessively wide air gap between the tip of the sensor and its ring, or a buildup of metallic debris on the end of the sensor. A weak signal can also be caused by internal resistance in the sensor or its wiring circuit, or loose or corroded wiring connectors.)

INTERPRET DIODE-TEST RESULTS:
    - If the DMM, in diode mode, reads infinity ("OL") in both directions, you've got a bad sensor or circuit
    - If the DMM, in resistance mode, reads much greater than 7Mohms, you've got a bad sensor or circuit
    - If all 4 sensors read OK, it's most likely the ABS control unit.
    - If you think you found two bad sensors, you probably messed up.
    - Rarely is the cause due to bad steering angle (yaw/lew) sensors
    - Rarely is the cause due to a bad hydro unit
    - The problem is almost always a wheel rotation sensor or the ABS control unit
    ACTUAL RESULTS ON MY 2002 E39 THIS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND:

DOUBLECHECK WHEEL SENSORS AT THE WHEEL:
    Note: You can run this test w/o removing the wheel but access to the sensor connector is easier with the wheels off the E39
    - If one or more sensor circuits test bad in any of the three tests above ... then ...
    - Locate the sensor blue connector in the rear of each front wheel well by turning the front wheels
    - Easiest to first locate the sensor (bolted on the wheel carrier near the hub) and trace its wire back to a black plastic hinged box housing
    - Open the locked hinged plastic rectangular black box with a small flathead screwdriver
    - Locate the blue wheel sensor connector (next to a black brake wear sensor connector)
    - Pull the blue wheel sensor connector out of the box and disconnect the two sides
    - Re-check the sensor there with the diode function of the DMM

CHECK WHEEL SENSORS OFF THE VEHICLE:
    - If any sensor still checks bad, pull the sensor off the vehicle for a closer inspection
    - Chock wheels and jack E39 BMW and jack stand at the 4 jack pad locations
    - Remove 4mm allen head bolts to sensor retention screw (two retaining bolts for fronts, 1 bolt for the rears)
    - Pull wheel sensor out of hub assembly, straight up.
    - Clean with CRC electronic cleaner
    - Check with DMM diode-test meter as before
    - Grease with Staburags NBU 12/K or equivalent grease
    - Replace sensor back into hub assembly, snug tighten to 6 foot pounds
    - Replace rear wheel, tighten to 82 to 96 foot pounds
    Note: You might wish to swap sensors on the same axle when replacing so as to obtain further diagnostic information should an anomaly occur.
    Note: Here is a picture of a dirty and cleaned sensor (magnetic particle buildup[/URL])

TEST BRAKE PRESSURE SENSOR (aka HYDRAULIC UNIT PRESSURE SENSOR):
    - This test procedure kindly suggested by Max_VQ:
    - Given 250 bar = 3,626 psi, and given 0-5 volts linear proportional output, 3,626 psi/ 5v = 725.2 psi/volt or 1.3 mV per psi.
    - With the ignition on, measure the voltage on the pressure sensor while someone is pressing hard on the brake pedal
    - My guess is that should create about 3,000 psi of force and should show around 4.13 volts.
    - At rest it should show very close to 0 volts
    Note: The front-brake pressure sensor provides a 0-5 volt linear voltage signal to the DSC III control module which is proportionate to how hard the driver is pressing on the brake pedal, from zero to 250 bars (3,626 psi), spanning (a) no braking, to (b) partial braking, and to (c) near-ABS-regulation state braking. This brake pressure sensor has three pins (a) power, (b) ground and (c) the 0-5 volt proportionate signal.
    Note: By way of comparison, the Corvette also has a brake pressure sensor to indicate how hard the brakes are being applied; it monitors pressure from 0 to 2000psi generating a corresponding signal of 0.20 volts to 4.80 volts[/URL].
    LOCATION OF FRONT-BRAKE PRESSURE SENSOR:
    • DSC III 5.3 (740i/iL and 540i) - The brake pressure sensor is located in the charge pump assembly.
    • DSC III 5.3 (750iL) - The sensor is located on the charge piston unit.
    • DSC III 5.7 (ALL) - The sensor is located on the hydraulic unit on my 2002 E39.

TEST ROTATION RATE & LATERAL ACCELERATION SENSOR:
    - We do not yet have a test for this sensor; a description of operation is all we have at the moment (please suggest a test procedure so all benefit)
    - On Bosch DSC III (Bosch 5.7) the Rotation Rate sensor (yaw) and the Lateral Acceleration sensor have been combined into one unit located under the drivers seat under the carpet
    - The degree of rotation rate (yaw) transducer outputs a reference signal of 2.5 volts and a linear voltage of 0.7 to 4.3 volts
    - The lateral acceleration output signal should be 1.7 volts while the car is sitting still on a flat surface corresponding to 0 G side forces.
    - The lateral acceleration transducer outputs a linear voltage of 0.5 to 4.5 volts corresponding to a G-Force range of -1.5 to +3.5 G side forces depending on the motion of a fixed capacitor plate relative to a floating capacitor plate.

TEST STEERING ANGLE SENSOR:
    - We don't yet know how to test the steering-angle sensor (please advise)
    Note: The steering angle sensor, mounted at the bottom of the steering column near the flexible coupling, utilizes two potentiometers to determine the steering angle and the rate of steering angle change, which are are the two raw signals the CAN bus microprocessor utilizes to create the steering angle signal for broadcast over the CAN bus. The DSC III logic compares the stored plausibility of the steering angle sensor against other DSC III inputs (front wheel speeds, rotation rate and lateral acceleration sensors).
    STEERING ANGLE SENSOR:

REMOVE ABS MODULE:
    - Remove the six T20 Torx screws holding the ABS module to the hydro unit
    - Pull the ABS module straight out towards the passenger side headlight.
    - Cover the hydro unit with aluminum foil to protect it from the elements
    - You can drive the car but you won't have a speedometer or odometer
    - Use a portable GPS unit with a speed display as your temporary speedometer
    - You may not have cruise control (need to test this)
    - Of course, you won't have ABS either but you didn't have that anyway

HINTS TO HELP OTHERS:
    - Consider taking apart your ABS module and posting before rebuild and after rebuild pictures
    - Consider paying rebuilders the extra $10 to return ABS modules that failed[/URL] (so you can take it apart & post pictures)
    - Consider selling your old module to the rebuilders if you buy a new or rebuilt ABS module from another vehicle
    - A portable GPS unit doubles as a speedometer in the interim while your ABS module is being rebuilt
    REINSTALL ABS MODULE:
    - Note: There is a gasket attached to the new unit.
    - Carefully place the new module over the control actuators.
    - Loosely replace the six new T20 Torx screws included with the new module.
    - Tighten snug tight, and then a little more to seat the gasket.
    - Reposition the ABS electrical connector
    - Press down on the ABS connector while pushing the retaining clip to the left
    - Reassemble the Air Filter box & MAF (if it was disassembled for Torx access).

INITIALIZE ABS MODULES:

- Note: This step is only necessary if you installed an ABS module that wasn't originally in the car in the first place
    - Take the E39 to an Indy to encode the VIN (I'm not sure what happens if you don't do this)
    - Take the E39 to an Indy to check and adjust the steering angle (I'm not sure why)
    - Some say the steering angle sensor may have to be recalibrated when you put on a remanufactured or new ABS module.
    TORQUE TABLE:
    - 4mm wheel sensor bolts (two each for the front sensors, 1 each for the rear sensors) = 6 foot pounds
    - Combination lateral acceleration/rotational rate sensor (under driver seat) = 6 foot pounds
    - DSC bolts to the hydraulic unit (new bolts only) = 26 inch pounds
    - Hydraulic unit to body = 6 foot pounds
    - Hydraulic unit mounting bracket = 6 foot pounds
    - Brake lines to hydraulic unit = 13 foot pounds
    - Wheel lug nuts = 82 to 96 foot pounds
    DIAGRAM OF THE 2002 E39 DSC III BOSCH 5.7 SYSTEM:

USE THIS CHART TO DETERMINE WHICH ABS SYSTEM YOU HAVE:

Note: This ABS repair thread was compiled from scores of sources; special credit goes to many people, especially 540iman[/URL], BlackBMWs[/URL], Max_VQ[/URL], Edgy36-39[/URL], and others.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 04-26-2010 at 01:47 PM.

My Cars
    e39 540ia
    i actually just fixed this in my 540i a few months ago.

everything would be fine upon startup, but once warm, abs, dsc, check engine lights on, speedo stopped working, fuel gauge stopped working.

after reading alot of threads on wheel speed sensors, abs/dsc module, i decided it was my abs module that was malfunctioning. especially since the symptoms only came about only once the car was warm(heat related).

then i looked on ebay and bought a repair service for the bosch 5.7. was about 100-110 dollars.. and about a week turnaround time, put it in and bam, everything was back to normal.

i'd say have the current one repaired if possible, its super easy to remove and replace. just a few bolts and its off.

much more cost effective than a new one would be, and with the repair the abs module should be better/ or at least last longer than a new one that you buy which could experience the same problems later on down the road.
    Last edited by tominos; 04-26-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    318is 540i(6)
    been dealing with a ABS,brake,TC light for over a year.... (mostly I ignore it) i can go for months with no issues (cruise works) and i can go for months with it faulted out and one day its fine again. never seen any other errors other than those three. Often starts with brake light then TC and sometimes tosses in the ABS. After thinking about it it would seem that after the car is warm and ive thrown the errors they all stay.

to verify ive read this right.... start with checking the wheel speed sensors and move to an ABS mod rebuild.
    Last edited by schmism; 04-30-2010 at 01:52 AM.

My Cars
    99 528i
    I love the write up but i need to print out and not be at work to try this one......

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Wow - awesome thread.

I am having very similar symptoms (2000 540i6, 137k miles) to the fellow in the video. Thanks boondocksaint!

Appreciate the write-ups on the ABS systems, but I don't think that is my issue.

It started as just the trac ctrl light and ABS light, then progressed to the Speedo & tach dying, and the temp guage spiking. I have never received a coolant temp message on the cluster, just gage issues. Occasionally the BRAKE light will come on as well, but all functions appear normal. If I keep on driving, eventually all lights will go out and all gauges return to normal.

Since the radiator, exp tank, and water pump were replaced 3 weeks ago, I was sure the temp was not bad. But the aux fan & main fan kick on when the temp guage spikes anyways, and I lose A/C (this is normal function for a car that thinks it is overheating).

My independent shop said he could not get any codes out of the system until he unplugged the aux fan. Then all was fine. He recommended replacing the aux fan.

But the aux fan was replaced by my local dealer in the March! So I figured I had a new aux fan coming to me. I had the Indy put it all back together and took her to the dealer, where it is now.

They say the aux fan is fine, and that I have a pitch/yaw sensor under the drivers seat that is bad and is driving the ABS/Trac control light. They swear this is a "hard code" and can't imagine why the Indy shop would not have picked it up. They say the aux fan is fine. They did not attach the computer to the car while all the guages were crazy, they got to it first thing in the morning - it's always fine on the drive to work, it's the ride to lunch when she goes bananas.

I am pretty sure it is not a bad cluster, as that was replaced 1 yr ago due to bad pixels. (new unit from BMWNA, not used or refurb)

I am tempted to head over there tomorrow and clip a ground wire on just like the video shows.

Any other ideas?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    If unplugging the fan changed the communication with the DME, then there is a power supply or ground issue. It is NOT a bad fan. Find a new indy.

If the dealer found codes in other modules that the indy did not, then it's most likely the indy doesn't have equipment to access these modules. See above.

/.randy

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    Hi.

I have the same connector but mine is white instead of blue, is there a difference in pinout?
    Usually on bmw different collors on connectors = not exacly the same.

I have a fault code 6 on my abs and it should be right front speed sensor.

when i measure pin 15,16 i receive between 5,5kohms to 12 kohms

Nothing between 28,12 and 30,31

Which is strange since i replaced right rear sensor a couple of years ago.
    So i don't belive the pinout to be the same does any one know?

My Cars
    2002 530i MW
    I have 530i 2002 with 141K miles and experiencing DSC, ABS, and Brake lights coming on. The Cruise Control works fine, speedometer, nothing unusual. This is INTERMITTENT, but comes on just about every other day, normally after warm engine. I've done the wheel sensor test; left rear,3.4; right rear 3.7; left front 3.2; right front 3.6. I cleaned each sensor. They were dirty. Ok for a week but lights are coming back on intermittently. I've read alot of posts on this forum regarding this problem. I suspect the ABS module. If so which rebuild company do you recommend? Appreciate any advice and help

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    Quote Originally Posted by scvol75 View Post
    I have 530i 2002 with 141K miles and experiencing DSC, ABS, and Brake lights coming on. The Cruise Control works fine, speedometer, nothing unusual. This is INTERMITTENT, but comes on just about every other day, normally after warm engine. I've done the wheel sensor test; left rear,3.4; right rear 3.7; left front 3.2; right front 3.6. I cleaned each sensor. They were dirty. Ok for a week but lights are coming back on intermittently. I've read alot of posts on this forum regarding this problem. I suspect the ABS module. If so which rebuild company do you recommend? Appreciate any advice and help

When engine is varm and it illunites the light on the dash, spray the module with cooling spray it should bee white of frost usually at least a half of a can is required.
    Then start the car again if the light comes on and turns of on the selfcheck and then comes on after 4-5 secons sinces the module gets war, if this occurs then you can defintily suspect the abs module.

I had the same problem with my car two times, 1# fault code rear sensor right so i replaced sensor , light still on ,so i did the spraytest first time the above occured, then sent it of for repair and problem solved.
    A year later light comin and going intermittent, o suddenly be permament.
    Fault code "front right sensor", did the spraytest and light remained on so i suspect module ok, so i checked sensor with ohmeter, broken wire, replaced it and lights whent of when rolling of the lift.

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    scvol75 tried to respond to your PM but got a notification about that you inbox is full and it can't be delivered.

So i will paste my response here do my answer can be usefull to others.

Quote Originally Posted by scvol75
    Andy:

I'm not aware of this cooling spray. Do you mean spraying cool water on the module? Also, can you explin the self-test? Thanks for responding. ralph
    Get a can of cooling spray, on a spray can its used to cool of electronics can be bought in any hardware store.
    Run the car fully warm so the light illuminates on the dash.
    Then turn of the car and go to the hood and spray the abs module the black box where the electronics is located.
    Spray it alot it takes several minutes to get it all white of frost, that the only way to do it spray it so its white of frost don't worry you wont harm it, it take usually a half a can because it only stay cold for a few seconds.
    So once sprayed hurry in to the car and start it right away, if it illuminates on the dash at the self check and turns of right away as normal, and then illuminates again after 3-4 seconds could be less, the you can suspect a bad soldering in the module.

What happens you cool it down with the spray cracks in soldering will contract and then it works as normal after a few seconds when the module gets warm the crack in soldering will expand and give you the light on the dash again.

Have you read fault codes?
    It will most likley give you a code for a faulty sensor, since you speedometer and trignometer is id say its not the rear ones.
    If you open door and board computer gives you a signal "door open" id say left rear is ok, beacuse i think if i dont remember wrong that this signal is picked up from left rear.

When its was the module for me it said faulty sensor right rear, but the problem vas actually the soldering to the wire to the right rear sensor, the car does not know if the broken wire is 2 inces from the sensor or if its 1/4 inch from the module it just receives a open circuit signal.

it was broken in the module not along the path to or in the sensor.
    Last edited by andy78; 07-23-2013 at 05:30 AM.

My Cars
    2002 530i MW
    Now I understand. Thanks. I only had one message in my inbox so not sure why its full. Thanks again. I'll let you know the results.

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    Quote Originally Posted by scvol75 View Post
    Now I understand. Thanks. I only had one message in my inbox so not sure why its full. Thanks again. I'll let you know the results.
    Check the following tread, it there are pictures of an open module showing circuit board and fine small gold plated wires.
    If one of thoose wires go to say right rear sensor and is broken it will store a fault code "right rear sensor" even do its not the sensor or the wire running from module connector.
    But since the 10 of an inch is connected to that wire running from connector it vill give the sensor code and not like faulty module.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=451633

Så don't go replacing the sensor just because you have a fault code, you can check it with an ohm meter.
    I did the mistake the first time pulled the code and replaced the sensor, but it was not faulty so light was still on.
    Then i went for spraytest and and it passed critera for "bad module" cooling did the trick.
    Second time i had this problem i pulled the code front left sensor.
    Did the spraytest light still on, disconnected the sensor and measure it with an ohm meter 0 open circuit i was the sure it was the sensor and replaced it and lights went off when rolling of the lift.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    You can do basically the same test by removing the module and throwing it in the freezer for a while and then running out and plugging it in real quick before it warms up. (don't need to mount it for the test, just plug in the harness)

Quote Originally Posted by andy78 View Post
    Check the following tread, it there are pictures of an open module showing circuit board and fine small gold plated wires.
    If one of thoose wires go to say right rear sensor and is broken it will store a fault code "right rear sensor" even do its not the sensor or the wire running from module connector.
    The thicker aluminum wires go to the wheel sensors and such, the group of eight together specifically, those are the ones that generally break inside the module.

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post
    You can do basically the same test by removing the module and throwing it in the freezer for a while and then running out and plugging it in real quick before it warms up. (don't need to mount it for the test, just plug in the harness)

The thicker aluminum wires go to the wheel sensors and such, the group of eight together specifically, those are the ones that generally break inside the module.
    I guess you could, but then you only can perform the test when engine is cold cold, so its actually only shows something if the light is instant on when starting it up from cold engine.
    If light comes on after a while when engine gets warm then there is not much point sticking it in the freezer because your engine is going to be cold when taking it out from freezer and it would be off due to the engine is not fully warm.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    I guess you could, but then you only can perform the test when engine is cold cold, so its actually only shows something if the light is instant on when starting it up from cold engine.
    If light comes on after a while when engine gets warm then there is not much point sticking it in the freezer because your engine is going to be cold when taking it out from freezer and it would be off due to the engine is not fully warm.
    Theres no reason why one couldn't run the engine without the module. Besides the engine won't cool down quickly, but the module will inside the freezer.

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Force View Post
    Theres no reason why one couldn't run the engine without the module. Besides the engine won't cool down quickly, but the module will inside the freezer.
    You don't belive that the engine will cool down during the time the module is in the freezer?
    Have you tried running the module of side just connected?
    Tell me about it, did it work or not?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    You don't belive that the engine will cool down during the time the module is in the freezer?
    Have you tried running the module of side just connected?
    Tell me about it, did it work or not?
    Of course the engine will cool down some, but I doubt it will make a difference, if you keep the module in freezer for 10 minutes. Have you ever checked how warm the engine is 10 minutes after driving the car? If you really think that is an issue why don't you put the module in the freezer and and drive the car while the module is inside the freezer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast