Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Gloss/Matte Black and Carbon Fiber Roof Vinyl Wrap Pictures - Q&A/FAQ/etc.

My Cars
    e30 turbo
    Have you ever wrapped an e30?

fusionworksracing.com
    E30 24v turbo in progress.

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    I haven't personally, but I've seen some pictures of black roofs on E30s. I just can't seem to find them at the moment.

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    I think they're better off unfound
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    I vinyl wrapped both the roof of this car and his window trim in my gloss black vinyl material. However, I am just going to post pictures of the roof done for now. I'll post pictures of the gloss black vinyl wrapped window trim that I also did on this car later. You can still sort of make out the gloss black window trim in the pictures, for those who were considering on doing both and weren't sure which finish to go with on the window trim with their gloss black vinyl'd roofs.

-Don

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Here are some pictures of a new black BMW F10 5 series that I vinyl'd the chrome window trim with my matte black material to resemble the BMW factory shadowline trim look. I had some people ask for some closer up pictures of the wrap around the edges, so here they are. Let me know if you guys have any questions or other picture requests.

-Don

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Here is a black BMW E90 335i that I vinyl wrapped the roof with the 3M di-noc carbon fiber material. The owner of this car was from around the LA area and drove out to me in Orange County to have the vinyl work done. I had also vinyl wrapped his window trim in matte black a while back as well. It's not very noticeable in the pictures, but the mirror caps were real carbon fiber, as a reference point for how the vinyl compares to real carbon.

-Don

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    I vinyl wrapped the roof of this red E46 3 series BMW with the 3M di-noc matte carbon fiber material. His roof spoiler and trunk were real carbon fiber. The roof spoiler was already starting to yellow a little bit, from the looks of it. You won't have this issue with the vinyl, which is a plus. The owner of this car came out to me in Orange County/Anaheim Hills from around the Los Angeles area to get the vinyl work done.

-Don Nguyen

My Cars
    2009 E92 coupe 328xi
    Hey Don,

love your work

I was thinking of doing this to my white e92 328 coupe.

From what ive seen all your work on the roof is using gloss black.

I have matte black rims, so i was thinking of going with matte black roof and matte black trim. Have you done this ? do you have a pic or 2 ?

Also is the carbon fiber that you install the graphite color or the black color ?

Thanks don appreciate it
    Last edited by Redsnake; 04-12-2012 at 07:32 PM.

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Whatever pictures I have on here is everything that I have. You can see from the pictures that the matte carbon is slightly more gray-ish than full true black.

I've had a few people ask me what a gloss black vinyl wrapped roof would look like on a more stock/factory looking car. I vinyl wrapped the roof of this white BMW E46 325i sedan in my gloss black vinyl material. For this particular car, if the owner of this car was to have keep this car as is, without doing too many other mods, gloss black would definitely be the correct choice over matte black or carbon fiber, etc. Those finishes would be too aggressive for the car. Don't mind the pink emblems. This car was owned by a girl. The owner of this car drove out to me from Irvine/Orange County.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

My Cars
    1999 BMW 326t
    i have been wanting to wrap the roof of my 46 for a long time to match the bonnet and now i know how good it looks it is a real help, Thanks

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    Don,

Do you think the black vinyl on the roof would make the car very hot inside?

I think a gloss black vinyl would look nice on my car but I'm not sure about how its going to hold up. My dad has a vinyl cutting machine so we make stickers/magnets all the time and we could maybe just order a big sheet of vinyl and cut it accordingly.

Thanks!!
    1992 E36 325i

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Will it get hotter? Yes. Will it be that much hotter? Probably not. I would say no worse than owning a black or darker colored car.

Here is an imola red BMW E46 M3 that had me vinyl wrap his roof with the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber material. I tried to take more pictures to try and help show the differences between carbon fiber weaves in the 3M 1080 vs the 3M di-noc material. I believe the owner of this car was from San Diego and came up to me in Orange County to have the vinyl work done. The weave in the 1080 material is a lot smaller/finer, and due to the nature of the material, it comes out wavier than the dinoc material.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Brand new alpine white BMW 550i F10 sedan, less than a week old. The owner of this car had me vinyl wrap the roof of his F10 in gloss black including the side roof rails on his car. The antenna was painted gloss jet black to match the roof. This car came out to me to from Buena Park area to Anaheim Hills/Orange County to get the work done. I think the gloss black roof really suited this bigger body car very well, especially with the black trunk spoiler and darker gunmetal wheels. The car came with the sport package factory shadowline trim from the factory already, so that match fairly well with the roof as well.

-Don Nguyen

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    What did he do to the tail lights? They look weird, didn't think they made aftermarket lights for the f10 yet
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    I don't know. The owner of the car actually wasn't even there. Someone else brought the car. The car was used for a Vorsteiner photoshoot, so maybe if you search around, you might be able to find some more info on the car.

-Don

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    The owner of this blue F10 BMW 550i contacted me to see if I could vinyl wrap the diffuser on his car with the 3M 1080 gloss carbon fiber material. He brought his car out to me in Orange County from around Riverside, for me do to the work on his car. Usually a lot of diffusers are not very practical to wrap due to their shapes/curves, which makes it hard for the vinyl to stick and stay conformed to over time. However, this one was fairly flat and there wasn't too much heat from around the exhaust areas on this car so that was a good thing as well.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    I had this newer 2012 or 2011 alpine white BMW E93 335i convertible come by for me to tint / smoke their tail lights and black out the chrome window trim (I'll post pictures of that process later). The owner of this car was from Irvine / Orange County as well. The tint / smoke film is very light and just slightly darkens the tail lights enough to give it a very factory look. It's light enough where you most likely won't get any hassle from cops about them. It's also light enough where if you put it on the headlights, fog lights, etc, it won't reduce the light output by that much compared to darker films.

Before:

Only driver side trunk tail light is tinted in this picture:

After:

-Don Nguyen

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    My car is jet black and my roof is showing clear coat damage about 4 round and I was thinking the wrap would be a great fix well until I can afford to get this car painted.

Anyways would black cf look good on a black car ? Anyone one done it ?

And is it easy to DIY

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    It's good for a temporary solution, but unless you sand everything down smooth, it'll still show through the vinyl, since most vinyls are fairly thin. It's roughly the same thickness as paint, at around ~3-5mil.

Took a while for the owner of this car and for me to figure/find out a time for him to be able to bring his car by to get the chrome / aluminum window trim wrapped in my gloss black vinyl material to give it that shadowline look. The owner of this car was from Los Angeles. He went with the gloss black over the matte black finish to get more of that factory BMW sport package look. I have seen cars come with the window trim in matte black as well, but I don't know what package those come with or are offered with.

Everything is wrapped seamlessly and tucked in where ever possible, to provide the longest lasting results.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    bump for a great guy!

I just took my black E46 (323i) wagon to him for a matte black roof wrap!

He was very efficient, did great work, and I love the results!

I'll let Don post the pictures of my car, since he has a better camera than me

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Thanks. Glad you liked it. It was rare seeing a manual trans E46 touring. I'll post pictures of your car hopefully sooner than later. I have a lot of pictures to go through.

I should be back up there again sometime in August to do some more vinyl work.

This car was the very last car that I did during my trip in norcal / Bay Area. The owner of this car drove out to me in San Jose from San Francisco. I was almost not able to get to this car, but luckily on my last day up there, I finished all of my other appointments early enough to leave just enough time to do one more car. He decided to have me vinyl wrap the roof of his Alpine White E46 M3 with the gloss black material to give it a factory / panoramic roof look. I think the black roof really makes the red interior pop even more.

-Don Nguyen

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    sounds good man. I look forward to the pictures

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Here's one of the cars that I did some vinyl work on the other day up here in norcal / Bay Area. The owner of this white E46 325i sedan brought his car by to have me vinyl wrap his roof with my matte black vinyl material. It's not as often that BMW or Euro guys in general go with the matte black finish, so this is a good example for those who were thinking or considering getting it done on your cars. The roof was plastidip before, but the vinyl provides a much smoother end result and finish, and is just as easily reversible.

-Don Nguyen

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    How long are you in the bay? Any appointments open this weekend? Looking to get this done ASAP. Have a 328i that I want the roof done in 3m di-noc.

May also want some work done on my s13 1990 Nissan 240sx coupe trunk, roof spoiler, and radio surround done in the same 3m.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast