Thread: high speed bump hit bottom of car.

My Cars
    2012 bmw X5-xdrive35D

high speed bump hit bottom of car.

I have a 2006 e90 and went over a speed bump with a big loud bang noise. I was wondering if the car is ok. Not really familiar with the automobile and what's underneath, do you think it would be any problem? The car is a sport package and it's pretty low. I after looking underneath the car I couldn't see any damages but from the sound of it, I know I did something to it. I bought it factory and I did not lower it but it seemed pretty low. please let me know. thanks all

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    You should be cool. It happens quite often in my Z4 no matter how slow I go or how sideways I take some bumps.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    2004 -Z4-2.5i,96-Z3-1.9L
    How fast were u going? 5mph= little-to no damage. 45mph= some-to lots of damage.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Take another peek under there just incase. You will probably find a few scrapes of tar, hopefully nothing else. Cars are designed for "typical" speed bump smacks, my '78 does it all the time. Raised manhole covers are a way different story though (ouch)...
    Tbd

My Cars
    '93 E30, '01 E46 Mtec I
    Go get an alignment. I assure you that there is a very good chance it is off. It will also be a sure way to check to see if any of your suspension components are now bent.

In addition, it's a low cost insurance measure to ensure you don't wear out one of those expensive tires.

Oh, and if you are like most car owners (I said most, not all) it is prolly over due for one anyway.
    IF MY CAPS OFFEND YOU, BLOCK ME.
    AND IF YOU NOTICE THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD CAP'ED...... IT'S DONE AUTOMATICALLY BY THE FORUM BECAUSE I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.BUT IT DOESN'T ALWAYS DO THIS, LIKE WHEN I QUOTE OTHER POSTS.AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, REFER TO FIRST SENTENCE IN MY SIG.

My Cars
    2012 bmw X5-xdrive35D
    cool thanks a lot everyone. I actually just took it the the bmw dealership to get it all checked out. They say it should be ok.

My Cars
    964C4/D Durango/H Pilot
    If you drive the car and don't notice anything out of the ordinary, chances are pretty good that you got lucky. If you haven't done so already, get it up on jacks and try to find where it hit. It hit somewhere. Just so you know where and you can sleep easy. Some usual places to get a good scraping are the oil pan, frame rails, control arms, transmission, drive shaft, and differential. I think the easiest thing to damage would be the oil pan, which would be leaking oil if you slammed it too hard. Second easiest would be the transmission or driveshaft, which is actually more possible if you were going at a higher speed.

Can you describe the angle of impact and approximate velocity that you went over this speed bump? That might help narrow it down.

Definitely become more aware of your new cars' height and it'll eventually become second nature.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Unless you are one of those people that goes over speed bumps going 30 (which I doubt given that you actually care about your car), you should be fine. Given that the oil pan is right behind the wheels, and the fact that driveshaft and exhaust are tucked in pretty well, I doubt you hit anything major. Probably just a few scrapes along the floor, which is no big deal.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    i figure once u hit it enough times it should go away

My Cars
    2004 325 ci convertible
    HI I Am a new 2 days BMW owner (estatic) 325 ci convertible (and LOVEING it) any way I have a speed bump that i have to go over and over and I go super SLOW but sometimes I hit underneath on rear side of front tires Husband looked and there is a shield possible that I am hitting can I damage my car lightly bumping that under my new car? Please advise Thanks for your time Lisa Camille

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Camille View Post
    HI I Am a new 2 days BMW owner (estatic) 325 ci convertible (and LOVEING it) any way I have a speed bump that i have to go over and over and I go super SLOW but sometimes I hit underneath on rear side of front tires Husband looked and there is a shield possible that I am hitting can I damage my car lightly bumping that under my new car? Please advise Thanks for your time Lisa Camille
    Anything, if hit enough, will get damaged and broken.

Rather than trying to figure out if it's going to break or not, you're better off figuring out how to drive the car without smashing the underside on things.