Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: frozen iDrive / SOS malfunction (330i)

My Cars
    E90, AP1

frozen iDrive / SOS malfunction (330i)

Hi,

Hopefully someone knows what I'm referring to. Every now and then, I'll start the car, and the entire iDrive/audio/etc is simply frozen, with no date/time (although the radio station in the screen corner somehow still updates), no sound coming through the speakers, and a Check Control warning for SOS Malfunction (the icon essentially looks like it's saying I can't make SOS calls). It isn't a temporary start-up thing, it simply stays frozen for the remainder of the drive.

Anyway, the first time it happened, I called the dealer, they seemed to immediately know what I was referring to, and suggested stopping and leaving the car locked for 15 minutes, saying that usually does the trick. Well, that worked, but it's now happened two more times and I'm getting annoyed. This shouldn't be happening, glitch or not.

Any advice, or ideas as to what's going on? I'm not doing anything abnormal when I start the car when it happens.

The car has now been to the dealer five times over the past month or two, for one thing or another, so I'm really hoping I don't have to bring it in again for this.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by granadablanca; 01-03-2010 at 02:48 PM.

My Cars
    335is E92, X5 E70
    have you reset it? Mine will lock sometimes and a reset solves it.

My Cars
    E90, AP1
    I haven't, at least not that I know of. One time, it did reset itself while driving. The other two times, stopping the car and locking it for a while did the job - it started up again like nothing happened.

How do I reset it? What does that involve/affect?

Thanks,
    Dave

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Dave,

I have been having very similar problems. In November, the iDrive/SOS malfunctioned in my car (exactly as you were describing- the SOS symbol with a line through it appeared and there was no audio). I brought it in to the dealer and they did critical updates to the car. Unfortunately, that did nothing and the SOS/iDrive continued to malfunction. So, I brought it in a week later and the dealer replaced the CCC unit. Everything was fine until tonight when the SOS/iDrive failed again I am going to call in the morning and schedule an appointment. I have heard that the SOS/iDrive malfunction can be caused by the failure of the TCU unit or the ECU unit.

To reset the computer push both eject buttons (DVD and CD) and the volume knob (the mute button) at the same time. Fortunately, mine always reboots after 10 minutes.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ewilliah; 01-06-2010 at 12:21 AM.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 135i
    I had the exact same problem today.

Any updates from any dealer or anything?

Do you guys have any aftermarket lights installed (LEDs anywhere?)? Just wondering...

My Cars
    E90, AP1
    No update from me yet, but it hasn't happened again yet either.

I haven't brought it to the dealer, but I'll update when I do. I'd like to try to enjoy it for a week or two between dealer visits if I can.

My Cars
    2009 335i
    I had computer problem with 2006 330i, dealer replaced PICC mod I think it was the ECU...and re-uploaded software.Didn't have anymore problems, but if you have/paid for BMW Assist you may want to call them to get credit...for the months it is not connecting to their service. The dealer faxed them the work order for me and they gave me a free year, even though I was only looking for 4 months credit.

My Cars
    E90, AP1
    Just happened again (always happens on a Saturday, weird). It's becoming very annoying. Any updates from anyone?

I'm bringing it back to the dealer on Wednesday. Since I bought this car in September, it's been to the dealer, on average, every other week. Definitely not what I had in mind when buying a newer BMW. I think it'll be my last.

My Cars
    E90, AP1
    So, still no update on this. The first time I brought it in to the dealer, they were "unable to replicate" it, and there were no fault codes stored. The pictures above were worthless, because it apparently needed to be happening while it was there for them to diagnose.

So when it happened again today, I drove straight to the dealer, showed it to the service advisor, let him try to make something work and pointed out the SOS check control alert. He agreed that the iDrive/audio/etc was indeed completely frozen, and went to find the shop foreman to have a closer look. After waiting 20 minutes with the car running (I was afraid shutting it down would clear the error), the shop foreman finally starts walking up to the car. At that very moment, right before he gets to it, the car reset itself and everything returned to normal. They were unable to find a problem again, and no fault codes.

This is SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Dave

My Cars
    09 328i Premium
    Just for fun, if you have a bluetooth phone paired to your car, just turn it off (the phone or just the bluetooth) and see what happens.
    To every expert there is always an equal and opposite expert.

My Cars
    E90, AP1
    You know, that's something that just crossed my mind as well. Perhaps I should start the car, and THEN activate the bluetooth on my phone? But I think I remember a few times this happening without my phone at all. I'll try that though and see what happens.

At first, I actually thought it could be the seatbelt alert buggering things up, because the first time it happened, it started with the standard seatbelt double-chime, and then it just continued to chime as I noticed everything was frozen. Now I buckle the seatbelt before starting the car, just as a side-effect habit from this!

Out of curiosity, why do you suggest the bluetooth idea? Have you had a similar problem and that was the cause? Evidently, the dealer has never seen the issue before, and there's no specific SIB for these exact symptoms either.

My Cars
    09 328i Premium
    Oh, I've just been playing around with my phone a lot in the last few months. It's an Android phone and I try different ROMs on it. One time my sound system (no iDrive) froze completely after I had paired with a new ROM. I shut down and restarted the car, then it wouldn't pair. So I redid the pairing and all was well. It happened a second time, too, after I had installed yet another ROM.

Anyway, long story short, I had the issue twice, both times when I was screwing with my phone, which automatically made me suspect the phone/bluetooth and not the car.
    Last edited by Titanium09; 02-06-2010 at 04:44 PM.

My Cars
    2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3,
    The dealer needs to open a PUMA case (or whatever it is called) with BMWNA. My E90 330 had this issue with exactly the same symptoms. The "telephone module" was replaced and the system reprogrammed. That fixed things for a while, but the problem returned late last year. I'm not sure what they did last time (can't recall at the moment), but that was in November and so far it hasn't reappeared.

I was told there are two different "telephone modules" out there for this car, and one of them is much more problem-prone than the other (sorry, I don't remember more details about the manufacturer of each).

BMWNA dealer tech support is DEFINITELY aware of this issue. If your dealer is telling you otherwise, something is fishy.
    Current stable:
    2019 M2 Competition, slicktop, 6MT, LBB
    2011.5 M3 sedan slicktop, 6MT, Silverstone II
    2007 328i wagon Silver/gray
    1975 CanAm 125MX2, stock, original owner

My Cars
    2010 335d
    We're having this problem with our brand new 2010 335d. The iDrive system will just shut down -- usually we have the radio on, and it makes a little chirp, then goes silent. The cursor on the nav system spins, and then the screen goes blank, and the SOS icon with the slash through it shows up, along with the alert icon.

It's been at the dealer since last week, and apparently BMW NA is not being very helpful. They've been refusing to replace parts and instead are having our dealer go through a bunch of diagnostics.

Good (I suppose) to hear it's not just our car -- maybe they'll figure out how to solve it.
    Last edited by Cialti; 02-10-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3,
    After weeks of no problems, our E90 just did this problem again yesterday. We bought the car new in Feb 2006, so it is really sad to see they might still have issues on the next generation iDrive 4 years later!

The only thing different this time was that after about 5 minutes of being locked up, it rebooted itself while we were still driving.

Anyway, here are some images of what it looks like when it is frozen:

Chuck
    Current stable:
    2019 M2 Competition, slicktop, 6MT, LBB
    2011.5 M3 sedan slicktop, 6MT, Silverstone II
    2007 328i wagon Silver/gray
    1975 CanAm 125MX2, stock, original owner

My Cars
    2008 BMW 135i
    Just for reference, I had the same problem again yesterday. So it's currently around once a month. Last time I let it go away by itself (seems to take around 10/15 mins before the car realizes iDrive crashed and reboots). This time I did the "3 finger salute" to reboot instantly.

Still pretty annoying...

My Cars
    09 328i Premium
    I wonder if it's running Windows...

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium09 View Post
    I wonder if it's running Windows...
    In fact pre-09 iDrive was running Windows CE . The new iDrive is not, it is basically running the same OS as Android (not 100% but same source and company), my colleagues work on that.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-10-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    08'335xi05Mini'06CLS
    Had it lock up for the first time today. It was in the NAV Mode and couldn't get it to move from the map over to side index to turn the function off. Could not get the iDrive knob to function in any direction. Could not use the steering wheel mounted volume control nor use the manual controls on the radio. Everything was frozen and didn't have a SOS Error. Had to pull over and power down and restart. Wife mentioned a few weeks ago that she could not tune the radio stations/volume temporarily with iDrive nor manual controls. After being problem free for 30k Starting to get some stray electrons bouncing around.

My Cars
    2009 328xi
    Same here. Wife said that the 'radio' wouldn't work and she got the SOS Error, I discovered that the Voice Command will not work or downloading maps via Google maps.

2009 328xi going in on Friday---if anyone gets any updates before Friday please post so I can know what I'm facing on Friday morning with the dealer.

My Cars
    650i

Same issue here... this is my story

This is a long one, folks.
    Before I do start I have to say, I love my E64, a 2006 650i convertible beauty, except for the fact that the idiotic iDrive has ruined my BMW experience.

I bought this car exactly 2 years ago, a CPO with only 17K miles. I did my research, I found a few bad reviews and criticism about the iDrive, I read some user's bad experiences and glitches, regardless, I thought to myself, what are the chances that I will end up with similar issues on a car that seems almost new, with great brand name reputation etc. Well, the odds turned out to be pretty high.

Not a month into it my troubles began. It started with the iDrive, the screen will go blank for no apparent reason, I will restart the car and it will come back on, did this several times. Finally I went to the dealer, the car spent there 4 days for diagnostics, reprogramming, you name it.

On the fourth day I got a call that the car was ready with new software updates. To my dismay, a few days later the same problem occurred. I took the car back to the dealer for another 4-day round of testing and diagnostics. I finally got the car back. So this time, obviously, my goal was to surpass one week of iDrive free issues. This time around I was a happy camper, no issues. This was back in 2008.

Fast forward to Feb. 2010, I am driving home from work and suddenly I heard a sound, a small sound, as if something electric/electronic had failed, the screen goes blank, no sound, nothing, and for the first time the SOS failure symbol you guys have seen here.

So I got home, stop the car, waited 10-15 minutes. I stared the car, nothing, blank screen, same SOS failure message. I did the three finger reboot, nothing. I took the nav DVD out, and that seemed to help. The screen slowly came to life. All signs of a dying system. After a few minutes it all went blank again, this time for good. And now, the MP3 drive and the Nav Drive will not stop working, both slots and their corresponding buttons will stay lit after shutting down the car and taking the key out.
    So, I left the car in the garage all night hoping the battery will not drain. I did check it every 2-3 hours and the battery was dying, so I would start the car.
    Early next morning, this was last Thursday, 2/11, I took the car to the dealer, were it's been sitting for the last, guess, 4 days. I finally got a call from the dealer - actually, I called first, then they called me - and I have been told that the CCC or Car Communication Computer is gone.

Here is the interesting part. My 4-year/50K warranty, fortunately, expires at the end of the month, my car has only 30K, but the dealer needs to get approval from BMW NA (today is president's day a holiday for BMW NA so no approvals) to replace the part since it is a $2,500 (labor not included) part.
    Here is what almost made me just bust out of my seat, this "expensive part" the brain of the luxurious entertainment and comfort interior is not covered by the CPO. Something that it is obviously flawed, it's been like this since BMW introduced the iDrive and based on what I have read here, continuous to be a problem.

No matter what the reason, there is no room for these problems in such an expensive machine. There are the obvious accolades for BMW handling, looks, etc, but it seems that it lasts only for as long as the electric gremlins are asleep at the BWM wheel.

Although my car is not old and barely driven, my commute is 10 miles round trip, I thought of getting and new one thinking the problems have been resolved, but I see you guys are still having the same issues.

So I hope this info gives you an idea of what may be happening with your CCC.

I am sure BMW NA knows this is a problem, but it will never reach the status of a recall as it doesn’t appear to have the critical mass to tip the balance in that direction. I am sure BMW NA will sit on this until all these cars are deprecated or they replace the CCC system for good.

What a disappointment.

I will update you on my repairs.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328I
    I own a 2009 3 series coupe and have the same problem when playing mp3 music, the idrive reboots. This is my third BMW and this problem pisses me off. You figure a 40,000 dollar car might have a computer that is stable and does not reboots the idrive (radio, mp3 player, etc...). I own a portable mp3 player that cost me 50-dollars, and I use it to jog, and it does not skip or reboots. And the damm BMW techs act like they never heard of the problem. I'm going for a software update this week.

My Cars
    Maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by e64driver View Post

Here is the interesting part. My 4-year/50K warranty, fortunately, expires at the end of the month, my car has only 30K, but the dealer needs to get approval from BMW NA (today is president's day a holiday for BMW NA so no approvals) to replace the part since it is a $2,500 (labor not included) part.
    Here is what almost made me just bust out of my seat, this "expensive part" the brain of the luxurious entertainment and comfort interior is not covered by the CPO. Something that it is obviously flawed, it's been like this since BMW introduced the iDrive and based on what I have read here, continuous to be a problem.
    What is the name of that part? I am looking at a 335i Coupe this week and it have the factory Nav. I am hesitant to get it as I don't really need Nav but if the price worked out it would be nice for resale. I just want to question the dealer on this to see what kind of response I get.
    99 FRC Corvette H/C/I/E 470rwhp

My Cars
    2009 328xi

Not Driven Enough???

Just picked up our 2009 328xi. We also had the SOS malfunction, the bluetooth would not work nor would Voice Commands.

BWM advises that the car was 'under voltage' because it is not driven enough.

Huh? Their warranty only covers 10,000 miles per year--this car was picked up in late May of 2009 and has 8,100 miles on it (lots of Long Island traffic miles too so many hours with the car engine running). That's 810 miles per month and there is at least once or twice a week that it's driven for 45 minutes (20 miles or so).

Dealer says "all the tests" say that the car is not driven enough. It works now but that's' the first time I've ever heard that 800+ miles per month is "not enough" for the car.

Thoughts? Any BS detectors getting triggered?
    Last edited by easyshopnh; 03-05-2010 at 04:38 PM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by easyshopnh View Post
    Just picked up our 2009 328xi. We also had the SOS malfunction, the bluetooth would not work nor would Voice Commands.

BWM advises that the car was 'under voltage' because it is not driven enough.

Huh? Their warranty only covers 10,000 miles per year--this car was picked up in late May of 2009 and has 8,100 miles on it (lots of Long Island traffic miles too so many hours with the car engine running). That's 810 miles per month and there is at least once or twice a week that it's driven for 45 minutes (20 miles or so).

Dealer says "all the tests" say that the car is not driven enough. It works now but that's' the first time I've ever heard that 800+ miles per month is "not enough" for the car.

Thoughts? Any BS detectors getting triggered?
    Make sure they check for battery drainage when the car is sleeping. This may require you to leave the car overnight. It is possible that the battery is not charging enough due to driving habits (low miles city traffic for example), it can happen, but that explanation is only valid if they find no leakage especially when the car goes to sleep. These cars suck a lot of juice even when turned off, but excessive drainage can be an indication of a faulty module that doesn't go to sleep properly.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast