Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better reliability info on the BMW 1-Series

My Cars
    2003 Protege5

Better reliability info on the BMW 1-Series

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So in late 2005 I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now reports absolute repair rates that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to track cars closely as they age.

We've had good participation by owners of the 1-Series, especially the 2008. With more participants, we could post separate results for each engine and cover all model years. So I'm grateful that this form has given me permission to post here, and link back from all of our results pages for BMWs.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Lancer, free of charge.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research
    www.truedelta.com
    Price comparisons, quick and thorough
    More useful reliability information

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated the results for the 1-Series to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 29, better than average, small sample size

2008: 73, about average

We've also introduced two new statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

For the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 53, and the percentage of lemons is about 7. These aren't great numbers.

Nada-odds and Lemon-odds car reliability stats

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone. Especially need more 2009s and 2010s.

BMW 1-Series reliability comparisons
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    137 1-Series owners now signed up. A good start, but more are needed to provide precise results for all model years. Especially need more 2009s and 2010s.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated the results for the 1-Series to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 10, better than average, small sample size

2008: 79, about average

If they were reported separately, the 135i would score just a little worse than the 128i. Fuel pump failures never as high as for the 3-Series and seem to have tapered off.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

For the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 40, and the percentage of lemons is about 7. These aren't great numbers.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone. Especially need more 2009s and 2010s.

www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Just enhanced the related repair history survey so that it can (optionally) be used as a personal car maintenance record.

As always, more participants would be helpful. Especially need more 2009s and 2010s.

Updated Car Reliability Survey results in May, with a preview for participants in mid-April.

Car reliability research
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2013 135i Coupe
    Do you have an opinion on the data Consumer Reports publishes for cars?

I've been considering a 135i but they rate it "below average" for reliability as a used car, at least for the 2008 model year. They don't have adequate data for 2009 but I'm guessing they have more reports back than you are listing for your database.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Mitch

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    First off, their reliability data is currently a year old. So nothing that has happened (or not happened) with these cars in the past year is reflected in their results.

Owners of the 2009 have reported very few repairs so far in my survey.

The 2008s have two common problems, either of which would have earned a "worse than average" from CR all by itself:

1. Fuel pump failures--you'll find plenty of information around on this. My data suggests that once you have one that last 10k miles, it'll probably last a while. Some people have had to go through a few before getting a good one.

2. The third brake light has a tendency to detach. Not a major issue, but very common with the 2008s.

Overall, I see little cause for concern with these cars once you get a good fuel pump.
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2013 135i Coupe
    That's great info. I'm thinking about looking for an 09 135i coming off lease sometime in 2011 (I know it sounds far off but I have an old Z3 I'm still loving) and I'm figuring that car should be pretty sorted out.

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    I'd check the service records. If the fuel pump wasn't replaced in the last 10k, it's probably fine.

The Z3 doesn't fit the direction in which BMW went, but I love how they feel.
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2013 135i Coupe
    It's a cool but pretty crude car-- I'd love to buy a 135i and keep my Z3 too but my wife would have a bird...bad enough I'm trying to nurse and old BMW 75/5 motorcycle back to health in the back of my garage.

Any prediction what an 09 135i with, say, 25000 miles on it would be going for sometime in 2011? I know it's a total hypothetical.

Mitch

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Zen and the art...
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    09 BMW135
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesguitar View Post
    It's a cool but pretty crude car-- I'd love to buy a 135i and keep my Z3 too but my wife would have a bird...bad enough I'm trying to nurse and old BMW 75/5 motorcycle back to health in the back of my garage.

Any prediction what an 09 135i with, say, 25000 miles on it would be going for sometime in 2011? I know it's a total hypothetical.

Mitch
    I bought a 09 135 last Sept, and kept my 99 M Roadster...until today. I found a great deal on the 135, it was 4 months old and had 3000 miles. It helps that I knew the previous owner. I paid 31888 for my 135, in the model year. And, the car was flawless. I am sure you will find a really good price in 2011.

I have to admit I really miss the Z3...it has not even been 12 hours since I gave her up. Enjoy the hell out of your Z3 while you still have her!!

My Cars
    2013 135i Coupe
    I'm looking forward to the nice weather coming our way. I've driven the Z3 through two New England winters. It does very nicely on a short commute but not exactly what you want to be driving next to a snowplow on the highway!

My Cars
    2008 BMW 135i
    I picked up my 2008 135i last Saturday and love it to death. I'm the happiest I've ever been with a car.

AZGotM, I swore I'd be a roadster guy until I died. But I haven't missed my TT roadster one bit yet. I think your Z3 must be a better driver than the TT. I won't miss it shuddering and shaking like a wet chihuahua over every dip and crack.

As for reliability, I picked it up used and the previous owner has had the HPFP replaced. So chalk another one up. I'm hoping this pump takes.

My friend with a Mini Cooper S says that he had to replace his HPFP after using Arco gas. He swears Chevron gas will prevent HPFP problems.

Just hearsay, but worth a try for anyone dealing with High Pressure Fuel Pump problems.
    Last edited by ScottyG; 04-29-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated the results for the 1-Series to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 28, better than average

2008: 87, worse than average

If they were reported separately, the 135i would score just a little worse than the 128i.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

For the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 32, and the percentage of lemons is about 6. These aren't great numbers.

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone. Especially need more 2009s and 2010s.

To see how competitors compare, and sign up to participate:

www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated the results for the 1-Series to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010.

Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 42, about average

2008: 99, worse than average -- common problem with the third brake light

If they were reported separately, the 135i would score just a little worse than the 128i.

For the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 40, and the percentage of lemons is about 13. These aren't great numbers.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone. Especially need more for 2009 and up.

www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2013 135i Coupe
    Just looking at CR's recent article on the Mustang which had some comps at the end including the 135i. While its overall rating is at the top of the chart, it's rated much worse than average (black circle) for predicted reliability.

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    If one in four owners reports a problem, then a car gets "much worse than average" from CR. And between the 135's HPFP and the common problems keeping the third brake light properly attached, the 1-Series likely exceeds that level.

Beyond these two problems there aren't too many others.
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2013 135i Coupe
    If you have full CR access you can get to their drill down numbers-- I just checked and here's what I found:
    --They only have data for 2008 cars, the 2009 says insufficient data
    --For the 128i, overall rating is average, items below average are paint/body hardware
    --For the 135i, overall rating is below average, items below average are "fuel system"(which is much below average, black dot), squeaks and rattles, body hardware, and the audio system

Agree that with small "n" (they don't tell you their total responses) numbers could be skewed.

Thanks for your work on this! I still want a "1" !

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    "Body hardware" = third brake light falling into the trunk.
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    '95 540/6
    screw CR, they are in no way 'objective', they love data from grandma's and pukes who love to complain. Then they are subsidized by Detroit and Japan...

However, I like that there is now an objective and up-to-date data sheet for maintenance issues. Be wary of the '1 response=10,000 cars'. If people aint saying nothin, then there shouldnt be a concern.

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by goenitz666 View Post
    screw CR, they are in no way 'objective', they love data from grandma's and pukes who love to complain. Then they are subsidized by Detroit and Japan...
    Given that no manufacturer gives their detailed repair data to any watchdog groups/magazines/sites, most sites with any granularity are based on survey feedback, which is how CR does things. To say they are "subsidized by Detroit and Japan" indicates that you not only don't know how a consumer "union" works at all, let alone how CR works.

Their math and method are consistent across what and how they report. The unfortunate side effect of this is that cars with recalls (which they don't filter vs. general failures or repairs) get hit hard. The E46 M3 bearing recall is a well known example that dings '01 and '02 M3's in reliability.

On a semi-related note, anyone know if the N55 uses the same HPFP part? Real OEM lists the same parts for both N54 and N55 with a note of "through 12/2009", but no new part number.
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon
    '11 VW Golf TDI (which retained its value *REALLY* well!)

My Cars
    2013 135i Coupe
    Great point on the grandma's driving 1 series cars and complaining about them-- can we stop that somehow? My goodness they're everywhere, and seem to favor the M-sport package!

I've filled out the CR surveys and they're well thought out and contain the kinds of questions we'd ask if we were considering a purchase.

Are the numbers perfect? Should they be our only data source? Of course not. But c'mon, take them for what they're worth...

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also this month: updated reliability stats.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research
    www.truedelta.com

My Cars
    2003 Protege5
    We've updated the results for the 1-Series to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 64, about average

2008: 109, worse than average -- common problem with the third brake light

For the 2008, the percentage with no repairs is about 43, and the percentage of lemons is about 23. These aren't great numbers.

BMW 1-Series Lemon-odds and Nada-odds

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone. Especially need more for 2009 and up.

BMW 1-Series reliability ratings and comparisons
    www.truedelta.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast