Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: WaXing Black 740i - Turtle wax Color Magic / Chip stick? ?

My Cars
    e39, e30

Cool WaXing Black 740i - Turtle wax Color Magic / Chip stick? ?

just waxing my boootiful 740 black baby (it is the normal schwarz, not metallic)..

but i know normal wax usually looks shite on a black car because it fills in all the cracks..

i got Turtle Wax Color Magic car polish with those chip stick wax 'lipstick' for bigger scratches

i know it is a cheap product, but will it give a good shine to my car and hide the nicks and small scratches?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    All wax does is put a layer of protection over the problems you're having, it doesn't do anything to make issues go away. Those kinds of things need to be polished out.

Preparing the surface and removing the defects in clear coat are the only ways to get a really nice looking car. Otherwise, you're just protecting and enhancing the damage.

My Cars
    2015 Volvo V40, 2005 X5
    Basically that means clay the car, polish it and then put wax over the top to protect you clean uncontaminated surface.

Making that car shine doesn't come cheap

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    ^^^Exactly. Prep the surface you want to look good well BEFORE you actually apply protection. Wax alone offers NO correction and in most cases, will only make your problem areas look worse than they do before you started.

My Cars
    e39, e30
    hm... interesting advice.. so I should clay bar first? does that make a real difference? never used it before? looks pretty straight forward?

I have mequire's 3 step (cleaner, polish, carnauba wax) but will the polish fill in the scratches in the black paint and look bad?

or will my new 'black wax cover those up after?

My Cars
    96 BMW 328 I
    I was amazed at the difference a claying makes. Its well worth the 3 or so hours you will spend the first time doing it. The car is so much smoother than when you start and the wax goes on really well after. plus you arent sealing the contaminants against the surface.

My Cars
    Mini GP, VW GTI
    Claying will absolutely make a difference in a variety of ways - makes the finish smooter, helps your LSP bond beter, etc. I don't think you should be taking 3 hours to clay - maybe 20 - 30 minutes tops!!!

Afterwards, you can apply layers of LSP which can infact, if the correct products are used, fill and mask some minor defects. Problem being, after a few washes, the defects reappear. But, if you've the time and love for your car, may be worth it. Otherwise, spending a few bucks for a proper correction is the preferred option.

Andy

My Cars
    96 BMW 328 I
    When I clayed mine for the first time, it took over an hour just to do the nose, and windshield. Now that I have done it all over and waxed it I probably could do the whole car in an hour.

My Cars
    Lancer
    i suggest using a better wax and if youre going to polish anything and DIY, i suggest some Menzerna polish or similar. turtle wax anything will not help your paint and it will not correct any scratches. I suggest investing in having your car detailed by professional detailer (stay away from car washes and other detailing centers) look for someone around you on this forum or on other detailing forums. This advice is of course if youre looking to correct the scratches on your car and have it look good.

NEXT CAR: 335xi

My Cars
    2015 Volvo V40, 2005 X5
    After you clay your car, run your finger over an area that you have not clayed. Then run it over the area you have clayed. It feels soooo smooth.

Basically you spray the quick detailer as lubricant for the clay bar and rub in one small area at a time. Once you feel that you can rub the area with the clay bar with no little bumps going through your fingers, wipe dry and move on to the next area.

As far as scratches go. Polish will get very faint ones out. If you have had a 4x4 brush past your passenger door, it will NOT just buff out. Sorry.
    There are products like Scartch X out there but I don't think they do much more than Polish and Wax to be honest.

Does anyone here think that the Meguairs Gold Class Wax is any good?
    Last edited by Aindriu; 10-04-2009 at 05:03 AM.