Thread: resetting service indicator lights??

My Cars
    01 740i sport

resetting service indicator lights??

Can anyone tell me how to reset indicator lights after an oil change on my 01 e38 by jumping across pins? I can't remember which ones to jump.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740il
    This is from E38.org:

BMW Oil Service reset for 2001 ~ current
    No need for reset tool for 2001+ model by: Moko
    BMW insp. reset
    - Iginition OFF (POS 0)
    - Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to position 1 (ACCESSORY)
    - Keep the button depressed (about 5 secs.) until you see "Oil Service" or "Inspection" with "Reset" or "Re" in the display
    - *Note: On vehicles with "High" cluster, you will also see the amount of fuel (in litres) remaining until next service
    - Press the button again and hold for approx. 5 secs. until "Reset" or "Re" flashes
    - While the display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the Service Interval. After the display has shown the new interval you should see "END SIA" for about 2 secs.
    Note that if the "Reset" or "Re" does not flash, then you have not met the minimum consumption level and cannot reset.

This is the reset using a wire:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1591
    Last edited by project37; 08-20-2009 at 08:23 PM.

My Cars
    2005 E66 740Li
    OIL Service Reset requires pin 7 and 19 to be closed for 3+ seconds
    INSPECTION Service Reset requires pin 7 and 19 to be closed for 10+ seconds

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/reset-plug/reset.htm

My Cars
    1997 740i, 88 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoomelon View Post
    OIL Service Reset requires pin 7 and 19 to be closed for 3+ seconds
    INSPECTION Service Reset requires pin 7 and 19 to be closed for 10+ seconds

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/reset-plug/reset.htm
    I've tried it several times an never can get it to reset with key in position 2.

My Cars
    2005 E66 740Li
    Well the Inspection reset worked for me a few weeks ago no probs. The timing is pretty important.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by jafo1994 View Post
    I've tried it several times an never can get it to reset with key in position 2.
    Can't tell from what you've written, if you're doing it correctly or not...but as previously stated, the correct pins, the correct amount of time, and the correct procedure is required. As others have written up the procedure...I just reset the SI display on my 99 540iT just the other week and I have the instructions written up...just scroll down past the oil change info: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3134093/5

Make sure that you screw the round cover back on to the DLC (data-link connector) if you're using the location under the hood. If your car was built after 9/2000...then try using the procedure using the buttons on your instrument cluster.

Below is the expanded version for the instrument cluster procedure that was already posted by project37 above:

Quote Originally Posted by put2slp View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to reset indicator lights after an oil change on my 01 e38 by jumping across pins?
    If your OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION light is NOT illuminated...then I recommend that you DON'T reset the lights yet. This will throw off the other inspection light. There is multiple criteria being monitored...and when you reset the lights prior to the yellow LED illuminating with the SERVICE warning...it starts the calculations over.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-20-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    01 740i sport

thanks

Thanks guys, you have all been a great help!!! This is a good forum.

Does the oil service light have to be on yellow bar to be reset, or will it reset if one green bar still is showing? I have one green bar left, but wanted to reset oil service bars.
    Last edited by put2slp; 08-21-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 740i, 88 535i
    just tried it again per instructions, even used a stop watch, tried 3, 5 an 10 seconds an it didn't do anything on mine. 7 an 19 jumped an then key on number 2 position.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by jafo1994 View Post
    just tried it again per instructions, even used a stop watch, tried 3, 5 an 10 seconds an it didn't do anything on mine. 7 an 19 jumped an then key on number 2 position.
    Once again....we can't tell WHAT it is that you're doing or not doing because you don't explain the steps that you've taken. We can only agree with you and say..."okay, it doesn't work for your car". What kind of condition is your DLC lid in? Does it still have the key that goes down into the PacMan opening? When I purchased my 540iT...the key was broken off and I had to purchase a new one.

If you tell us each step you've taken, then we may be able to make an evaluation/suggestion if you're missing a step. The lights don't reset when you pull the tool out of the pins...it resets when you screw the lid back onto the DLC after the appropriate amount of time (which is explained in step 2c in my write-up at this link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3134093/5 ) BTW...what are you using to jump pins #7 & #19?

Also, is your SERVICE light on? Or are you trying to reset the SI display with multiple green LEDs illuminated?

Quote Originally Posted by put2slp View Post
    Does the oil service light have to be on yellow bar to be reset, or will it reset if one green bar still is showing? I have one green bar left, but wanted to reset oil service bars.
    Go back to the post with the instructions I posted that have the ADDITONAL info for resetting the lights using the instrument cluster. There is a paragraph that explains the MINIMUM VALUES FOR REPEATED RESETTING.

If you use the pins #7 & #19...you may be able to reset...but WHY would you do this when you are only within a few thousands miles of your SERVICE light coming on. Again, resetting the interval BEFORE the yellow LED & SERVICE light...can throw off the other running calculation. It is MORE than fuel and mileage that is used to determine when the lights come on (read the info above again about the BMW Maintenance System if you've forgotten what it said).
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-21-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)