Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Invitation code to ecubb.BMWECU.org

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    You joined and bumped a post that's almost 3 years ago because..?

Sounds like a community that isn't really worth being a part of. Information should be free

My Cars
    2007 M6, 2006 630i
    I would not worry about it. I try to help as many as I can to solve their coding problems & questions. I put effort in to trying to find out about the latest E-Sys and ISTA/P functions too. It might not be what the underground clique want, so be it.
    What Fister figured was great and really helped open up the world of BMW diagnostics, programming and coding to the masses. I'd wager that 20+ engineers of about 100 that work for me would have the where with all to figure this stuff out too if they were more interested in cars and less interested in cloud and gaming!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The really strange thing is that I always found Ken (aka Fister) to be more than willing to help and share information, so it is really strange that the underground clique environment became entrenched on the bmwecubb.org site which is historically the point of origin of development of the bulk of BMW diagnostic knowledge ever to be circulated to non-factory trained personnel. As I have been a member of that group for a number of years, I can tell you that from my perspective although this attitude only existed among very few members, they appeared to be some of the more dominant members of the bmwecubb community, which resulted in a culture of others being intimidated or too embarrassed to post valid questions that would have assisted many of the board's junior members to develop and contribute their experience.
    Many of the members of bmwecubb.org who did not share the willingness to share information solely among others clandestinely are (or have been) active contributors on other forums and continue to advance Fister's attitude and principles through their continued active contributions through those forums, which has earned them both my respect and gratitude.
    Since like rebel, I believe that the true strength of these communities lies in the willingness of members to freely share and assist each other with their knowledge, I can't ever see myself aspiring for membership of any minority self-help group or clique.
    Last edited by David Mc; 10-10-2015 at 12:04 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah. As I've said before, there's a strong strong sub-culture for that mindset in tunerland. It's the Tuner Omerta. "You only get in the club when you prove you have something we want, and then nobody tells nobody outside the club about nothing cuz this is all our secrets and we are trading on the fact that we aren't letting our information out". Very very common IME. Not just for BMW by any means.

I have even seen guys get sucked over to the Dark Side - i.e. flip from being solidly on the 'info should be free lets all figure this out together' to being emphatically on the 'well I figured it out now but I'm not telling you you gotta figure it out yourself now' side.

It's one thing if somebody truly has created some intellectual property like recoding the actual programs, or even finding some workaround use for existing parameters or some specific tuning values - being quiet about that is no problem i can understand that to some degree. But not sharing basic map locations and basic config data and other purely factual information is just collusion to keep their market from being exposed. Esp irritating like w the S54 where some of the guys obv use the public efforts to get started and take everything they can for free but then anything they figure out is their special secret to sell for $$. Remember when S54 shift lights and sport mode memory were super-double-secret things nobody wanted to share only some tuners knew the double-secret locations? Jebuz, its just a few simple easy map locations they wanted to keep secret and not share so they could sell it. No great rocket surgery clever tuning mechanism, pure pre-existing simple scalars/tables that can be switched in 2 seconds w a hex value. So glad all that stuff is free now.

I'm never gonna be a pro tuner competing with these guys, and I still pay pro tuners who know their stuff to do my actual engine calibrations, AND I completely respect their IP and clearly its not right to post up tunes that a guy has spent countless hours dialing in on dynos, but I do think I have the right to be able to see what's going on inside and be able to make some tweaks and changes if I like.

Of course there's a great irony too that a bunch of those 'not tellin you nothin' tuners actually are copying and pirating tunes themselves and don't really know how to tune but are just re-flashers, but that's a whole nother story...

+5 to WTF with the zombie thread revival BTW.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345