Thread: Performance Ignition

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci

Performance Ignition

I have a 2001 330ci (E46) that is approaching 90K miles. It has just started to missfire at times; mostly at idel. I have taken it to the BMW dealer 2 times and they can't seem to find the problem. They cleard the missfire codes and recommended that we change the plugs at a cost of $300. This sounds high to me. I thought of installing a set of Bosh Platnum plus 4's. Any one have a suggestion?

I would like to hear any thought on installing a set of performance coil packs.

Thanks

My Cars
    318is
    Any grease monkey can change plugs... 300 seems high.

Platinum 4's are junk. If you want a performance plug get iridium with a single ground strap. With 4 straps the spark will just take the path of least resistance resulting in a weaker spark. The purpose of 4 is to make the plug last longer. Most of the guys that actually fiddle with ignition run really cheap plugs so they can play with the gap and just change them more often.

Stock coils work fine. You will see no improvement with performance coils over a properly running vehicle with OE coils.
    I like small engines, so what!

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Get a Stanley tool kit for 50 bucks and change the plugs yourself?

Yea 300 is high, they maybe figured in some expense incase they break something on accident?

It's already probably got performance packs...

You can do it! Robert
    Tbd

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by robjohnson View Post
    Any grease monkey can change plugs... 300 seems high.

Platinum 4's are junk. If you want a performance plug get iridium with a single ground strap. With 4 straps the spark will just take the path of least resistance resulting in a weaker spark. The purpose of 4 is to make the plug last longer. Most of the guys that actually fiddle with ignition run really cheap plugs so they can play with the gap and just change them more often.

Stock coils work fine. You will see no improvement with performance coils over a properly running vehicle with OE coils.
    Thanks for the advice. I agree 300 is way too high and I usally do my own wrenching. I think i will go with yor suggestion in plugs.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci
    Hey guys I have a 2001 bmw 330ci and I was looking at the coil packs and I can't tell which ones are the originals and which have been replaced. I guess my question mainly is, what did the original coil packs look like?

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford37 View Post
    Hey guys I have a 2001 bmw 330ci and I was looking at the coil packs and I can't tell which ones are the originals and which have been replaced. I guess my question mainly is, what did the original coil packs look like?
    Coil packs usually have a part number, manufacturer name and date, and the country name where it was produced. Realoem.com lists bosch or bremi as the supplier.
    So if the letters are still visible, you should be easily tell which ones are original and which ones aren't.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci
    Thank you SpeedsterBek I figured it out