Thread: Fuel Pump Relay - I'm confused

My Cars
    1996 328i

Fuel Pump Relay - I'm confused

I've spent the last two days researching this and I'm just as confused as I was when I began the search.

I have a 1996 328i. All the research I've found lean towards the fuel pump relay being orange and being in position one. Well, my fuse box is totally different from all the ones I've found through my research. Here's a pic of my fuse box:

As you can see, I have a purple relay in position one. When I pulled it out, it has 5 prongs and is part number 61361388911. From my search, I learned that the fuel pump relay is a four prong relay and that the DME relay is a 5 prong relay.

Both light green relays next to the purple relay are the same, p/n 61368366600, which is a multipurpose relay.

Can anybody identify which is the fuel pump relay on this fuse box??
    I will GREATLY appreciate any assistance in identifying this relay. Thanx.

My Cars
    M3
    Check the fuel relay by sending a 12 volt signal to it and using a multi meter to make sure there is continuity.

My Cars
    94 332iT/99 M3/98 328i
    Take the covers off of the two front relays of the three and jump it. I think that's what it's called. It will force the fuel pump on. Just take a wire and touch it to the metal prong on top.

OBDI CES cutring S52 /86.5mm 11:5.1 , eagle rods
    TRM GT35r Kit

My Cars
    Subway
    ok see the separate group of three not in the same box as the others? it is the one on the far left, the purple one. Good luck
    Last edited by dan32888; 03-05-2009 at 03:00 AM.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    So you are saying that in my case the fuel pump relay is purple (not orange) and it has 5 prongs instead of four? My problem is that all the online part searches (including RealOEM) indicate the fuel pump relay is orange and has four prongs and is in position # 1. My fuse box has a purple relay with 5 prongs in position # 1. I need to find out which one is the fuel pump relay so I can troubleshoot it. If anybody can confirm that in my fusebox (picture above) the fuel pump relay is the purple one.

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by rallypunx View Post
    So you are saying that in my case the fuel pump relay is purple (not orange) and it has 5 prongs instead of four? My problem is that all the online part searches (including RealOEM) indicate the fuel pump relay is orange and has four prongs and is in position # 1. My fuse box has a purple relay with 5 prongs in position # 1. I need to find out which one is the fuel pump relay so I can troubleshoot it. If anybody can confirm that in my fusebox (picture above) the fuel pump relay is the purple one.
    If you pull the relay out, are there actually 5 metal connectors in the plug? If there are only 4 (which I suspect), it might just be a funky replacement relay.

mods · depos · 55w DDM 5000k lows · Shield modded projectors · color matched rockers · color matched trim · chrome DSII's · bilstein sport shocks · H&R sport springs · custom 2.5" magnaflow exhaust · M3 offset LCABs · airbox debaffle · UUC Red Tranny Mounts · UUC RTABS · K&N · fan delete · Castrol GTX · Manual/heated Vaders · Tan to black conversion · Microsuede headliner, a/b/c pillars & sunroof shuttle · alpine head unit ·

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by exodus454 View Post
    If you pull the relay out, are there actually 5 metal connectors in the plug? If there are only 4 (which I suspect), it might just be a funky replacement relay.
    I pulled it out and there are actually 5 prongs on the purple relay. That's why I'm confused! I have no idea which one is the fuel pump relay.

My Cars
    94 332iT/99 M3/98 328i
    I pulled it out and there are actually 5 prongs on the purple relay. That's why I'm confused! I have no idea which one is the fuel pump relay.
    Jump it and see if you hear the pump kick on.

TRM GT35r Kit

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Don't go by the relay colors, that can vary depending on who/when makes the relay.
    A better guide is the number of pins (blades) on the relay and the relay schematic molded into the plastic case.

Bentley is my prime source for E36 information (and then bf.c), but for my 1996 328is the various diagrams and tables showing what relays are in positions 1-2-3 in the Power Distribution Box are WRONG.

Here's the order/function of the relays in my vehicle:

1. Secondary Air Pump
    2. Fuel Pump
    3. DME Main

read here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035251
    -Jerry

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by berkeleyEE View Post
    Don't go by the relay colors, that can vary depending on who/when makes the relay.
    A better guide is the number of pins (blades) on the relay and the relay schematic molded into the plastic case.

Bentley is my prime source for E36 information (and then bf.c), but for my 1996 328is the various diagrams and tables showing what relays are in positions 1-2-3 in the Power Distribution Box are WRONG.

Here's the order/function of the relays in my vehicle:

1. Secondary Air Pump
    2. Fuel Pump
    3. DME Main
    read here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035251
    -Jerry
    Thanx for the info. Just to be clear, is the fuel pump relay a 4 or 5 prong (blade) relay?? I believe it is 4, but would like confirmation before I start pulling relays and testing them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1rstbmw! View Post
    Jump it and see if you hear the pump kick on.
    I have a digital multimeter. How do I jump the relay? I read somewhere that I have to use a 12v source. Which 12v source is recommended for this purpose??
    Last edited by rallypunx; 03-05-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Fuel pump relay is 4 blades, see Bentley p, ELE-80.

I believe the poster means to pull out the relay and use a bit of jumper wire to bridge the normally-open contacts in the socket. Thus simulating the closing of the relay contacts.
    For the fuel pump relay, this means bridging socket 6 (+12VDC at all times) to socket 2 (to fuel pump). The corresponding prongs on the relay are 30 and 87.

If you're gonna mess with electrical stuff, I recommend getting your own copy of Bentley. Check it out for yourself.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    I went and got the Bentley manual and I see what you are referring to. Tomorrow I'm going to an auto parts store/Radio shack to buy the parts I need to build the fused jumper wire and begin testing the DME and fuel pump relay sockets.

To test the actual relays, which +12v source is recommended to use?? Straight from the positive battery terminal?? The bentley manual says to use a +12v source, but doesn't recommend one.

I believe the purple relay is the DME relay (5 pin) and the light green relay next to it is the fuel pump relay (4 pin). Hopefully I can find out what the root of the problem is.

Per the Bentley manual, it could also be the crankshaft position sensor. I really hope is the relay!!

My Cars
    94 332iT/99 M3/98 328i
    I went and got the Bentley manual and I see what you are referring to. Tomorrow I'm going to an auto parts store/Radio shack to buy the parts I need to build the fused jumper wire and begin testing the DME and fuel pump relay sockets.

To test the actual relays, which +12v source is recommended to use?? Straight from the positive battery terminal?? The bentley manual says to use a +12v source, but doesn't recommend one.

I believe the purple relay is the DME relay (5 pin) and the light green relay next to it is the fuel pump relay (4 pin). Hopefully I can find out what the root of the problem is.

Per the Bentley manual, it could also be the crankshaft position sensor. I really hope is the relay!!
    I'm pretty sure I just connected to another relay next to it.I could be wrong though. It's been a while.

TRM GT35r Kit

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Anybody else can suggest the best place to tap for +12v to test the fuel pump and DME relays??

My Cars
    '94 325is
    Pick any one. Ground the black side of your multimeter to any shiny metal or brown wire in the car, set the multimeter to DC and see where you can find 12v+. Every fuse in the box should be 12+, as should one or more of each of the relay pins. There's no real science to it, any of them will work. If you use the fuses as your 12+ though, make sure you have a fuseable link in your test lead just in case.

mods · depos · 55w DDM 5000k lows · Shield modded projectors · color matched rockers · color matched trim · chrome DSII's · bilstein sport shocks · H&R sport springs · custom 2.5" magnaflow exhaust · M3 offset LCABs · airbox debaffle · UUC Red Tranny Mounts · UUC RTABS · K&N · fan delete · Castrol GTX · Manual/heated Vaders · Tan to black conversion · Microsuede headliner, a/b/c pillars & sunroof shuttle · alpine head unit ·