Thread: Another Toshiba HIR bulb review

My Cars
    09 z4 35i

Another Toshiba HIR bulb review

Finally got around to installing my low beam Toshiba HIR bulbs. Got them from the ebay guy. Shipped really quickly and he had good directions about cliping the tab to make them fit.

Installation was somewhat a pain in the ass. I have an 02 3.0.
    Passenger side requires removal of windshield washer tank, which was ofcourse full....it never fails. After that - no problem. Twist one off, disconnect the harness, plug new one and twist back on.

Driver side was a bit more involved. You have to remove the air box (2 clips at MAF plus one nut on fender). But then there is a plastic cover that goes over the headlight from behind....that is technically part of the air box. It has two access doors to get to the lubs. The wire goes through a rubber grommet in those access doors. Basically, you have to wiggle the wire, the door and eventually the bulb to get it out....and then get it back in w/out touching the new new bulb.

I would recommend not to disconnect the harness untill you get the bulb out and to connect the harness before you intall the new bulb in the headlight.

Overall, I am pleased. Much brighter than stock Philips bulbs. Not as good as HID, but better. I think it is worth the money for the low beams.

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    I always wondered, what's the color like?

My Cars
    09 z4 35i
    color is white with a bit hint of yellow. they dont look gheto Autozone blue thats for sure. Looks stock, just brighter.

My Cars
    2002 S54 M Coupe
    I was looking for a cheap improvement, and ordered these. They're probably not as good as the Toshiba's, but they're definitely better than stock.

They threw in some bonus ultra-white 5W5's, which are now installed in the bumper parking lights.

AC Schnitzer short shifter, suspension, rims & exhaust. VAC rod bearings. RE RSMs. Powerflex subframe bushings. Randy Forbes subframe kit, dual ear diff mount.

My Cars
    09 z4 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mitchley View Post
    I was looking for a cheap improvement, and ordered these. They're probably not as good as the Toshiba's, but they're definitely better than stock.

They threw in some bonus ultra-white 5W5's, which are now installed in the bumper parking lights.

Off the subject - but kind of tint do you have?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I have both the low and high beam HIR's. The high beams are awesome!!

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster, 4Runner
    Same here, I have Toshiba High and low beams from the ebay guy. He actually marked the part to cut off with some liquid paper, it was really easy to install in my m roady. No removing anything (I don't have the stock airbox)

I love 'em. noticeable difference.

My Cars
    2002 S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by schernov View Post
    Off the subject - but kind of tint do you have?
    For an exact answer you'd unfortunately have to ask the previous owner.

It's polarised (strange interactions with polarised sunglasses) and looks darker at some angles than others. It also has smash-and-grab protection. Whoever did the job fitted it very well - it's superbly neat.

It makes the hot Cape Town summer slightly more tolerable, and also helps to ignore unwanted attention at traffic lights, when necessary

I haven't (yet!) been pulled over for a traffic violation. I think it's the maximum legally allowable tint (35%), but I still need to check on that...

The front windscreen is going to need work at some stage - there must be at least 4 medium chips, and a few smaller ones. I don't know if there's some reason the Coupe's windscreen is particularly vulnerable - most of my other cars have had very few problems with chips (I suppose there is a small matter of velocity!)
    Last edited by Ryan Mitchley; 01-20-2009 at 05:23 PM.

AC Schnitzer short shifter, suspension, rims & exhaust. VAC rod bearings. RE RSMs. Powerflex subframe bushings. Randy Forbes subframe kit, dual ear diff mount.

My Cars
    09 z4 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mitchley View Post
    For an exact answer you'd unfortunately have to ask the previous owner.

It's polarised (strange interactions with polarised sunglasses) and looks darker at some angles than others. It also has smash-and-grab protection. Whoever did the job fitted it very well - it's superbly neat.

It makes the hot Cape Town summer slightly more tolerable, and also helps to ignore unwanted attention at traffic lights, when necessary

I haven't (yet!) been pulled over for a traffic violation. I think it's the maximum legally allowable tint (35%), but I still need to check on that...

The front windscreen is going to need work at some stage - there must be at least 4 medium chips, and a few smaller ones. I don't know if there's some reason the Coupe's windscreen is particularly vulnerable - most of my other cars have had very few problems with chips (I suppose there is a small matter of velocity!)
    Nice tint. I like it. I live in Chicago and in the summer it does get pretty toasty here as well.... we also have a city ordinance that front windows can only have very light tint but rears can go as dar as you want. I might do the tint this summer, not too dark but dark enough. I have a bright red coupe.
    After7.jpg

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    HIRs makes the most difference in high beams even though it also makes a huge difference with low beams.

Since both my Zs are using HIDs now, I've since transferred both sets of HIRs to my Lexus 3GS. The ones for the low beams went into the fogs and the ones for high beams also went to the Lexus' high beams.

In that car, the high beams also made such a huge difference that it closely matched the factory low-beam HIDs not only in intensity but also in color. My Lexus came with 4500k HIDs from the factory. Therefore, I can say the HIRs are around 4000k in color.

Quote Originally Posted by schernov View Post
    Nice tint. I like it. I live in Chicago and in the summer it does get pretty toasty here as well.... we also have a city ordinance that front windows can only have very light tint but rears can go as dar as you want. I might do the tint this summer, not too dark but dark enough. I have a bright red coupe.
    After7.jpg
    Talking about tint, you could probably use something that I already have in some of my cars. It's a clear film that blocks both heat and UV and looks clear at night. The only thing is that when the sun directly hits the windshield, a very very light purple hue can be noticed but one can easily get used to it. My brother said it has a kind of polarizing effect. The clear film came from Japan and is quite expensive. During day time, it can darken the windshield a bit but gives the windshield a factory-tint look to it.

I have installed it in my Coupe, Jeep, Lexus, LR3, and E36. I'm still thinking about it for my Roadster.

So far, I only have a couple of pics of the clear film on the windshield of my Lexus. Here's a couple for you to look at. The top pic is with the clear film (can't say it's tinted because it is not a tinted color) and the bottom is without the clear film.

If you would like to see how it looks like in my Coupe, let me know and I would be glad to take some shots of it and post 'em in here.
    Last edited by jr1966; 01-20-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Current Fleet: '93 BMW 325i, '01 BMW Z3 3.0 Coupe, '99 Porsche 996 Cabriolet, '05 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, '06 Land Rover LR3, '06 Lexus GS300, '97 MB E320
    Sold: '97 BMW Z3 1.9 DASC, '91 BMW 735i, '01 BMW X5, '87 BMW 528e (my 1st BMW), '05 Jeep Wranger Unlimited (LJ)

My Cars
    DinanZ3, 535i,MiniCooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Markl006 View Post
    Same here, I have Toshiba High and low beams from the ebay guy. He actually marked the part to cut off with some liquid paper, it was really easy to install in my m roady. No removing anything (I don't have the stock airbox)

I love 'em. noticeable difference.
    +1

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I'm actually happy with the stock bulbs in my car. They seem to be OEM units but not very old.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    00' M Roadster, 07' Mazd
    One of my SilverStar low beam bulbs burned out so I decided to give these Toshiba HIR bulbs a try. The Ebay seller now charges $38.95 per bulb shipped on Ebay:

Toshiba HIR Bulbs on Ebay

and charges more if buying direct $36.95 per bulb plus $8.00 shipping:

http://www.hirheadlights.com

I was able to buy two Toshiba HIR 9012 bulbs shipped for $52.39 from CandlePower:

Toshiba HIR at CandlePower

The bulbs from CandlePower arrived quickly, but they are not marked for trimming like the Ebay bulbs. I used a piece of blue masking tape and a razor blade to create a template on the old bulb so that I can see where to trim the new bulbs. The trimming was actually pretty easy... I used a nail clipper to get the rough shape and a file to smooth out the edges.

Just want to pass along a good deal for anybody considering these bulbs.
    2000 M Roadster
    Estoril Blue, Black Top, Grey & Black Interior
    Mr. M Car reinforced rear subframe, VAC Oil Pan Baffle, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft Kit & Reinforced Oil Pick-Up Tube, Conforti Shark Injector, H&R/Bilstein, Swapped strut hats, IE subframe bushings, H&R Front/Rear Sway Bars, BW engine mounts, BW camber shims, CL Strong Strut, GC End Links, GC RSM, UUC short shift, UUC TME, UUC Clutch Arm Bushing, UUC Clutch/Brake line, Aluminum T-stat housing, S54 radiator and oil cooler, Stewart water pump, lower temp T-stat/fan switch, Aluminum Pedals, Z3 Solutions Trunk Organizer, Leather Z oil distribution block, LeatrherZ armrest, LeatherZ illuminated ZHP shift knob, Clear Bumper Lights, BMW 6 disc, Axxis Deluxe Plus, Doug Whalen seat bushings, Soundgate SDSBMW