Thread: sunroof

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i

sunroof

After spending five hours on trying to figure out what was wrong with my sunroof, I found that there was a plastic hinge that had broken and was jamming the sunroof when you pushed it back. It's manual, and goes in two different directions. Does anyone have any idea how to find what parts I would need to replace the tracks and for that matter how to really take off the sunroof "so I can reupholster it" and put it back on. ? The Chilton manual I have says jack squat.

My Cars
    '83 320i, '70 Lincoln Mk III, The Van of Doom
    From the Haynes manual:

1. Fully open the sliding roof.
    2. On each side of the aperture, unscrew and remove the guide retaining screws and lift out the guide rails.
    3. Shut the sliding roof to within 2 inches of the fully closed position, and carefully pull down the front edge of the headlining frame, sliding it back as far as it will go.
    4. Shut the sliding roof, and unscrew and remove the triangular spaced retaining nuts at the rear of the roof. Take particular care to remove any shims which may be fitted behind the mounting bracket for height adjustment.
    5. Carefully lift the sliding roof away from the car.
    6&7. Inspect... (blah blah blah)... Installation is reverse of removal but apply a thin smear of grease to the guide rails before assembling them.

In fitting with the usual quality of Haynes manuals there aren't any pictures, but you can go to www.realoem.com for exploded diagrams of just about every part of the car. It'll list part numbers too, though it's up in the air as to whether a dealer would be able to get what you're after.
    Life begins at 40 (1/min X 100)

My Cars
    1982 323i e21
    I have some pdf manuals on our sunroofs i can email you, pm me
    My Website

1982 323i

Under the Hood:

M20B23, Dogleg tranny, K&N Box Air Filter, Hayden 11inch Pusher Fan, redline tranny/diff fluid, Dual Exhaust,3.45 open.
    Braking/Suspension:
    Steel brake lines in front, front/rear 323i disks, Front and Rear Strut Braces, Lower Alpina(Ken) Bar, Kmac Camber/Castor Plates(Raise the front 1 inch), PolyUrethane Steering Rack Mounts, Rims = RG alloy wheel set (BBS design) silver 6x13“ KBA 40324, Tires: Sumitomo 195/60/13, Struts: Bilstien HDs Springs: Stock
    Body:
    087-Graphit-metallic, Euro Bumpers, BBS Valance, Foha Rear Spoler, Yellow Hella High Beams
    Interior:
    Recaro Front Seats, Sports Steering Wheel, Kph 220 Speedometer, Vacuum gauge, Air/Fuel Gauge

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    Ok, so the problem is that the the brackets that lift the roof up to pop it open or slid it down, are broken.. that's why it was going in crooked. when I took my car in for a much needed tune up, they said they would charge me 500$ to fix the sun roof. I can't afford that, so I have been looking for parts I might need to replace the broken ones. This seems to be a bit troublesome. Any Ideas?

My Cars
    1983 320is
    Probably best to look at the exploded diagram on realoem and use it to ID the part that is broken then you'll have the part # and to give to the dealer. There is a diy for the single position sunroof on my2002tii.com. It's not the same as yours but it has some nice pics and you'll get an idea how the s/r is dismantled and how it functions.

My Cars
    '81 323i, '87 325
    Walloth & Nesch has the parts in stock, I had to replace mine as well. RealOEM is a goldmine for stuff like that as stated ^^^
    e21: 1981 2.5L sleeper
    e21: 1982 323i Baur TC 1 # 4210
    e21: 1980 323i project or parts car, can't decide
    e21: track car project
    e46: 325XiT

click here for the latest updates

My Cars
    '78 320i M42
    down in az there should be pick-n-pull style wrecking yards, if you're trying to save money you could probably find a good used part for less than 10 bucks at one of those places