Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Amp install help...

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i

Amp install help...

Ok, whats the proper way to go about installing an amp? Ground to ground on batt first, or power to power on batt first? How do I install it without popping the fuse on the amp or sparking? What about the rem. slot on the amp...where does that go? I tried installing 2 amps earlier tonight on my car and the lights wouldnt come on when I turned the key on to turn the radio on...neither amps would power up.

I replaced an amp on my previous e36 M3/4 and it was pretty straight forward because it was already wired up...I was just replacing it, but I couldn't get either amp to work on this car.

TIA
    -Joe

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Oh boy!!

Ground to chassis ground +12v to battery and remote to radio

9700+ posts and a Mod to boot and you can't figure this out????

You should hang out in this forum more often and I'm sure you will be much more educated.

P.S. Please don't ban me.

My Cars
    Street Missile/Track Weapon
    Joe,

Connect the ground first, best place in my opinion is to do it on the stock grounding point for the battery, here is a photo, its located underneath the plastic tray to the right of the battery on the rear surface of the car.

Then positive gets connected to the positive battery terminal, use an appropriate size fuse.

And lastly, what I imagine you had the problem with, is you need to attach a switched 12v source to the remote plug. The best place to get it would be the stock amp harness, assuming you're using the stock deck. Here are the pinouts for an E36, I think they're the same but can't verify. If you're using an aftermarket deck, it will be the blue wire with the white stripe.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    Oh boy!!

Ground to chassis ground +12v to battery and remote to radio

9700+ posts and a Mod to boot and you can't figure this out????

You should hang out in this forum more often and I'm sure you will be much more educated.

P.S. Please don't ban me.
    Hey man, give me a break! The most I've done as far as car audio goes is install an aftermarket HU and replace an amp. I'll be upgrading the audio in my car later so yeah I should start hanging out here more often.

Thanks Dom! I'm running an aftermarket HU, but I do remember seeing the blue wire with a little tag on it saying "remote." What size wires should I use for the power and ground? Does it matter?

Say I wanna replace the stock amp, how would I go about wiring it up to the HU? Do I use the stock wires or would I need to run all new wires to each speaker?

Sorry for the newb questions, but you gotta start somewhere I suppose.
    -Joe

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestMCoupe View Post
    Hey man, give me a break! The most I've done as far as car audio goes is install an aftermarket HU and replace an amp. I'll be upgrading the audio in my car later so yeah I should start hanging out here more often.

Thanks Dom! I'm running an aftermarket HU, but I do remember seeing the blue wire with a little tag on it saying "remote." What size wires should I use for the power and ground? Does it matter?

Say I wanna replace the stock amp, how would I go about wiring it up to the HU? Do I use the stock wires or would I need to run all new wires to each speaker?

Sorry for the newb questions, but you gotta start somewhere I suppose.
    I was just teasing.

The remote wire from your head unit is used to connect an aftermarket amplifier. It is also used in BMW's to turn on the factory amplifier as well as the antenna amplifier. Power and ground wires need to be sized to the amplifier(s) you are using.

An aftermarket amplifier will need RCA cables and that remote wire run to the head unit. All of the speaker wires are available in the trunk at the factory amplifier location.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Thanks Tom.

Looking at that diagram of the stock amp, I can't tell how many channels amp would I need to replace it and have all of my speakers work? 4?
    -Joe

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    If you have the factory speakers in the car you have another problem. The factory amp has crossovers built into it for these speakers. Once you remove it, the crossovers are gone. I would suggest replacing the speakers with aftermarket if you want to go this route.

Generally, you would need one amplifier channel per corner for most aftermarket component sets. (ie. LF, RF, LR, RR)

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    I see...thanks again. I guess I'll just have to do them at the same time.
    -Joe