Thread: How to program a old MODIC BMW ?

My Cars
    E65 745I, ALPINA B11 E32

How to program a old MODIC BMW ?

Hello,

I buy on ebay an old BMW MODIC w.kalendaar.com/pifoubmw/photos/bmw/6enligne_net/MODIC_4.JPG which look like a gun with just a little text screen (I'm not allowed to post image on the topic ) there is just a serial port on one side and It need to be updated with a DIS .

Anyone knows how to do it ? I have to check my 2 E32 and my 740I E38 1994 wich has airbag light .

Thanks for your Help,

PIFOUBMW from France
    (ww.6enligne.net for french BMW addicts)

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td

Question

Hi Pifoubmw,

I have also bought a Modic 2.
    I'm searching how to use it.
    Have you found anything so far ?
    I also have a station to load the handheld device, but I still can't load the floppies into it, apparently.
    It would be nice if we could share experience.

My Cars
    91-BMW-850i / 97-BMW
    You either need the docking station with it so you can load the floppies for the right BMW car, or you need the big brother GT1/DIS system that can also upload the proper data for the right car.
    THis unit Modic is just a portable unit therefore limited capacity.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td

Unhappy

I have the docking station. However, whatever I do, the message "NO PROGRAM AVAILABLE" is displayed. I have tried many of the floppies. Is there a specific floppy to load a system into the beast, I mean, besides the application floppies like DIAGNOSE DME DDE, PROGRAMMIERUNG Daten, etc ?

My Cars
    91-BMW-850i / 97-BMW
    You need the load whatever you need to do, diagnose, program and make sure you use the floppies for the right EXX version of your BMW... I will try to find you the Modic-2 manual

Quote Originally Posted by PBo View Post
    I have the docking station. However, whatever I do, the message "NO PROGRAM AVAILABLE" is displayed. I have tried many of the floppies. Is there a specific floppy to load a system into the beast, I mean, besides the application floppies like DIAGNOSE DME DDE, PROGRAMMIERUNG Daten, etc ?

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td

Red face

I would appreciate the manual very much.
    Because actually at the moment, I can't have the modic to load anything.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td

Question

Does anybody know of system diskettes for a Modic 2 ?

Otherwise, can I install DIS on a PC and just plug a serial cable between the Modic and the DIS to upload the system onto the Modic ?

Thank you in advance for any information as I'm stuck.

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td

Thumbs up

Hi, I'm back with good news.

I made the diagnostic that the floppy disk unit was not working, I changed it for the same model, old and quite rare, which I bought second hand.

Now it reads, and loads.

Actually there is not much of an OS on it, obviously 12 commands called through 2 menus, so there does not seem to be an OS floppy, just 2 files loaded from the program floppy that is read first.

Now I can try it on my E34 and try to understand how to use the various programs. Are there any manuals ? What is the difference between Codierung and Programmierung ?

Has anybody the English version of the floppies (notice I don't ask for the French version !!) ? I tried the ones from the Russian site. I may have written them the wrong way because when I try to read any of those 3, the station keeps on rebooting every 10 seconds or so ... By the way, the floppies are apparently not readable under Windows. Could it be that they've used some Unix format as they seem to like Unix (SCO for the DIS) ? Has anybody tried to read them under Unix or Linux ?

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td

Question Serial cable connection

Hi,

My modic 2 and station are working fine.
    However, I don't have the latest software versions.
    Is there anybody who has some of the latest diskettes and would send me an image of them?
    Does anybody know how to connect the modic2 to a DIS or DISPlus or GT1 ?
    I'm ready to pay for a solution. My 2 BMWs need it.
    I can also share some documentation about Modic2, coding and programming. You can find me at PBo35 at yahoo France.

Thank you in advance.

My Cars
    E65 745I, ALPINA B11 E32
    Hello from France,

I still have my modic 2 but only the handgun, not the desk-base system and I have a 1998 DIS v14.0 CD-Rom with "Telechargement MODIC II" then I will have to check if the MODIC 3 which I'm repairing will be able to be connected with the serial port ton the handgun to be updated.

What kind of cars do you have on your floppy disks ?

PIFOUBMW

My Cars
    1998 318ti 2001 330ci
    I figured I'd resurrect a zombie thread, since my question is the same and the original is unanswered.

I just happened across a MoDiC II unit, which I would like to use on my E36 and E46.

This is apparently a 1mb portable unit powered from the ADS plug, with AA battery memory backup, which needs to be loaded from a base unit through floppy discs ().

I've been searching, and have not yet found either a collection of imaged floppies (or real ones, for that matter) or a way of emulating the base (which I believe communicates via an RS232 port).

If anyone can point me to any info or shed some light on this, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

- Eric

My Cars
    1991 850i manual
    Hi I am on the 8 series forum. Found your thread by googling "MoDic". I am interested in finding the original floppy disc diagnostic software for my E31 Prod date Feb 91. One of the moderators of the 8 forum has a lot of experience and has a system that is entirely capable with DIS/INPA. I was just curious about obtaining the "original" software that would have been released by BMW (wherever ??) to NA dealerships. Any thoughts you might have or experience/or knowledge would be appreciated! Thanks, Scott. P.S. Yes I am into resurrecting old threads too!
    1991 BMW 850i
    2007 Honda Odyssey
    2017 Hyundai Elantra
    2013 Honda CRV
    2003 MotoGuzzi 850 Jackal

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    Quote Originally Posted by PIFOUBMW View Post
    Hello from France,

I still have my modic 2 but only the handgun, not the desk-base system and I have a 1998 DIS v14.0 CD-Rom with "Telechargement MODIC II" then I will have to check if the MODIC 3 which I'm repairing will be able to be connected with the serial port ton the handgun to be updated.

What kind of cars do you have on your floppy disks ?

PIFOUBMW
    Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, I just discover there were more answers!
    Have you been able to make a connection between the Modic II and the Modic III ?
    I'm searching for a more convenient way to load my Modic II, as several of my original 20-year-old diskettes are no longer readable. I have backups, but no more floppy unit at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MDchanic View Post
    I figured I'd resurrect a zombie thread, since my question is the same and the original is unanswered.

I just happened across a MoDiC II unit, which I would like to use on my E36 and E46.

This is apparently a 1mb portable unit powered from the ADS plug, with AA battery memory backup, which needs to be loaded from a base unit through floppy discs ().

I've been searching, and have not yet found either a collection of imaged floppies (or real ones, for that matter) or a way of emulating the base (which I believe communicates via an RS232 port).

If anyone can point me to any info or shed some light on this, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

- Eric
    Have you found a solution for RS232 communication? Otherwise, if you still have the device, I can load it for you.

My Cars
    1998 318ti 2001 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by PBo View Post
    Have you found a solution for RS232 communication?
    Otherwise, if you still have the device, I can load it for you.
    It's been a while, and I have found no further information about this device, and have essentially "moved on to other things."

I may be interested in in having you load the MODIC (though I do not have a pressing need to make any modifications right now), but I would need more information.

When you have the time (obviously, we're not moving lightning-fast here), would you be able to tell me what data sets you have, and what you know about what can be done with them?
    I have a '97 318ti, which does not seem to need anything specific right now, and a 2001 330ci convertible, which I would like to change some body computer settings on.

Thanks for the offer!

- Eric

My Cars
    530d 525TDS Alpine 524td
    Hi Eric,

1 MByte models cannot hold several programs at once, except for smaller ones.
    It will only be able to contain most programs that were issued when it was used in dealerships so I think around 1990-1992, with the exception of smaller programs for which a more recent version can be loaded, up to around 1998-1999. So it won't be compatible with your 2001 model.
    For the '97 model, you could probably read/clear error codes and load a couple of small modules for deep diagnostic.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, could you check if your Modic has pin 17? I think those which don't have pin 17 are limited to ADS interface.

My Cars
    1998 318ti 2001 330ci
    Hi PBo,

I'm away from home for a few days, but I'll take a look at my device when I get back.
    Both of my cars have ADS connectors, so the that's fine.

Since the MODIC is unlikely to work with the 2001 car, I'll have to think about whether there is anything on the 1997 car that I might be able to use it for.
    Do you know whether the sunroof can be programmed to auto-close on 1997 models? In other words, is the sunroof only closing while the button is held in a US-only software feature, or is it inherent? The 2001 US convertibles had a number of annoying differences like this, but, as you note, the MODIC that I have won't work on the 2001.

- Eric

My Cars
    89 e30 ix, 90 e30 ic
    Hello Guys

I have an original BMW operators manual for a Modic 2, Let me know if you would like to purchase it, it is in very good condition with german and english instructions

_Mike